General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Knocking noise at low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Squid

RosstheBoss is on a distinguished road
Knocking noise at low RPMs

Whatsup everyone, This is my first post on this forum after reading a ton of information before I bought my bike.

I have had my 2003 VTR for about 3 months now. It has just under 20,000 miles and seems to run perfect. Today, on a long ride to my class, I got off the highway and started driving in some traffic when I noticed a light knocking noise coming from (I think) below the tank. It seems to go away at around 4-5k rpms, but maybe I just cant hear it over the engine noise, and I seem to only hear it in first and second gear.

It just started happening today, as I'm always listening for noises I'm not familiar with (paranoid). I have heard people mention high TPS or some sort of carb issues as possible reasons. Reading this forum has gotten me paranoid about CCT's. Should I be worried? anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any input
Old 06-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Squid

DeLoreanBoy is on a distinguished road
Knocking or more of a ticking?

Being that it's coming from the top of the engine I would say you might have a rocker a little loose, it might still be in spec and still make a ticking noise. The V Twins are hard to keep "tick free".
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RosstheBoss
I noticed a light knocking noise coming from (I think) below the tank.
If it was above the tank, I would suggest changing your diet.

On a serious note, if the noise was constant, I would be worried. Have you considered going to manual CCT's or doing the stopper mod to keep you from getting grey hairs?

EDIT: Where are you located? Maybe a member can listen to your bike and help you out?

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-06-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:04 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DeLoreanBoy
Knocking or more of a ticking?

Being that it's coming from the top of the engine I would say you might have a rocker a little loose, it might still be in spec and still make a ticking noise. The V Twins are hard to keep "tick free".
There are no rockers in a VTR. Cams bear directly on top of the bucket/shim/valve stem, and these generally go quieter with wear as the clearances diminish.

I agree with Crux, get some manual CCT's and put your mind at ease.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
What ? a VTR that makes noise??

On a more serious note, I have read that the slides can clunk around pretty good if things are not set up well.
Welcome Ross.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Time to figure out the source of the noise, then report back.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:43 PM
Squid

Thanos for the replies so far. It's a knocking noise, most noticeable in first and second gear, and seems to speed up as the rpms increase. It's still probably only 1 knock per second. Also it seems like it's coming from the bottom of the engine on the left side.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:44 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
There are no rockers in a VTR. Cams bear directly on top of the bucket/shim/valve stem, and these generally go quieter with wear as the clearances diminish.

I agree with Crux, get some manual CCT's and put your mind at ease.
How much might it cost to get manual CCTs?
Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Squid

Thanos for the replies so far. It's a knocking noise, most noticeable in first and second gear, and seems to speed up as the rpms increase. It's still probably only 1 knock per second. Also it seems like it's coming from the bottom of the engine on the left side.
Also it seems to stop around 4k revs
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
If it was above the tank, I would suggest changing your diet.

On a serious note, if the noise was constant, I would be worried. Have you considered going to manual CCT's or doing the stopper mod to keep you from getting grey hairs?

EDIT: Where are you located? Maybe a member can listen to your bike and help you out?
I'm in southern mass
Old 06-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Squid

Also, there is no noise at idle.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The knocking noise stays "1 knock per second" even as RPM's rise?

As wierd as this may sound, this could even be your chain. How old are your sprockets and chain? Are they in good condition?

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-07-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Squid

it speeds up as the engine speed increases. It could possibly be the chain, the sprocket is not worn, but I havent checked for broken teeth. I bought the bike about 3 months ago and I'm assuming that chain and sprocket are stock.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Squid

If it were CCT's, would the noise be present at idle?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

If one of the CCT's were going, it would be more of a chain slapping noise inside the engine and yes, it would be present at idle. However, when a CCT goes, it doesn't happen gradually, the CCT's spring breaks and your piston hits the valves.

Let me get you the links for installing manual CCT's and also the stopper mod for stock CCT's. I'll edit this post within a couple hours.

EDIT: Here is the link for installing manual CCT's. I like this link, because it shows many pictures of the process.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28583

Here is the link for the Stopper Mod. This uses the stock CCT's, but if the spring was to snap, your engine will be safe.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-07-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Squid

DeLoreanBoy is on a distinguished road
I thought chain rattle was a bit more like, well a chain rattling rather than a tick that you could count off on.

My old CBRs all got the timing chain rattle around the 15k mark and it was more like a bag of marbles sound.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by DeLoreanBoy
I thought chain rattle was a bit more like, well a chain rattling rather than a tick that you could count off on.

My old CBRs all got the timing chain rattle around the 15k mark and it was more like a bag of marbles sound.
It could be a ticking noise coming from the drive chain, if one of the links are bad (rust, corrosion).
Old 06-07-2016, 07:13 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Also, there is no noise at idle.
Idle while stopped or idle as in you pull in the clutch while moving and let the RPMs drop?

If it's not cct related it's still highly recommended to change them over to manuals. The MCCTS can be picked up for under 100 bucks but it costs a lot less than rebuilding the motor. Money well spent.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Meier Link
Idle while stopped or idle as in you pull in the clutch while moving and let the RPMs drop?

If it's not cct related it's still highly recommended to change them over to manuals. The MCCTS can be picked up for under 100 bucks but it costs a lot less than rebuilding the motor. Money well spent.
Theres definitely no noise when stopped or when the clutch is in. Its only when the clutch is let out (either most of the way or all the way), that the knocking starts. I notice most when I first start taking off, and then it seems to dissipate when the Revs get higher. I Hear it in second, but the engine noise eventually takes over and I cant tell anymore
Old 06-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Squid

If one of the CCT's were going, it would be more of a chain slapping noise inside the engine and yes, it would be present at idle. However, when a CCT goes, it doesn't happen gradually, the CCT's spring breaks and your piston hits the valves.

Let me get you the links for installing manual CCT's and also the stopper mod for stock CCT's. I'll edit this post within a couple hours.

EDIT: Here is the link for installing manual CCT's. I like this link, because it shows many pictures of the process.
www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Here is the link for the Stopper Mod. This uses the stock CCT's, but if the spring was to snap, your engine will be safe.
www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mod)
Thanks for the information Crux. It doesn't look like installing the manual CCT's myself is something that I want to get into lol. I only have a basic knowledge of motorcycle hardware and am learning as I go. I think i should get it done though, Ill probably just have to make a visit to a local shop. Like i said, the internet has made me paranoid about CCT issues
Old 06-07-2016, 08:23 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

The CCTs and the parts they affect are at the top the cylenders.

Sorry if I have missed it but have you checked your oil for metal?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Meier Link
The CCTs and the parts they affect are at the top the cylenders.

Sorry if I have missed it but have you checked your oil for metal?
I just did an oil change yesterday and there was no metal on the end of the drain bolt. The oil had gone a while without replacing though from the service records I got with the bike...
Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Is it possible for you to do a video of the noise? It's not perfect, but could help.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:31 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Is it possible for you to do a video of the noise? It's not perfect, but could help.
Indeed it would.

I'm almost wondering if it's not an exhaust leak. Mine made a clucking noise when that graphite spacer gave out and had simular results of not happening during idle, noticible at low rpms and disappearing at higher rpms.

When this happened though I could feel the heat on my left leg at every rmp besides idle.

Only other thing I can think of from the lower left would be the clutch plates but there would be metal in the oil unless it's still caught up in the oil pan.

Ve needs za wideo [/end extremely bad Russian accent]
Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Squid

lol. I'll try to take a video, but its going to be hard because I only hear it while im riding. I just got a message from a guy having a similar problem and his mechanic thinks its the chain/sprocket. It would make sense because the chain and sprocket isnt under much stress while just rolling, yeah? Once I let out the clutch, the noise starts. It may be constant but I just cant hear it over the exhaust at higher RPMs (Aftermarket cans). Ill be able to tell you more tomorrow morning, and Ill try to get that video. The guy is having the chain/sprocket replaced next week and said hed let me know
Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

...this could even be your chain.
Can you put the bike in neutral, lift the back end of the bike and spin the wheel? If you can, then sit down and do a visual and audible check on the chain and the teeth on both sprockets.

Check the chain & sprockets first, but if you were to make a video, we are only listening for something, so we don't need you hanging off the bike one handed trying to show us the problem.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:46 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
A check of sprockets (front & rear) and chain condition/tight spots and corresponding slack - plus cush drive. And as mentioned be on the look out for leaks from exhaust manifold + header / link pipe seal.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
It definitely could be kinked link in the chain" at 20k in mileage it is due for a chain and sprockets... Never change one without the other. If the previous owner (PO) was skimping on oil services then he was most likely not oil lubricating the chain either... Try riding the bike next to a building wall say the side of a brick or block building in an alley or side street, accelerate until you hear it well then pull in the clutch and let it idle. Are you still hearing it at the same 1 a second interval as beforehand? Then it is not engine related. The building beside the street or alley will help you hear the sound better by bouncing the sound back to you at a higher level...