Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Squid

ericrosendall is on a distinguished road
Knocking Noise

Hey Guys,

Love this forum - great info. Here's my story...

Just bought a 98 Superhawk with 34K on it after wanting one for years. It starts and runs well (wheelies - wow!) but it has what I consider a rather loud knocking noise coming from the lower end. If I had to make a guess it sounds like a lower rod bearing. The CCT's are stock but it's not the "rattle" the everyone describes.

I've been wrenching on bikes (mostly dirt) and cars for 30 years but this is only my second road bike. Do VTR/V-twins just makes this noise normally or did I buy a lemon? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Eric
Old 04-22-2007, 07:32 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ericrosendall
Hey Guys,

Love this forum - great info. Here's my story...

Just bought a 98 Superhawk with 34K on it after wanting one for years. It starts and runs well (wheelies - wow!) but it has what I consider a rather loud knocking noise coming from the lower end. If I had to make a guess it sounds like a lower rod bearing. The CCT's are stock but it's not the "rattle" the everyone describes.

I've been wrenching on bikes (mostly dirt) and cars for 30 years but this is only my second road bike. Do VTR/V-twins just makes this noise normally or did I buy a lemon? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Eric

does the noise change when you hold in the clutch?
mine makes a noise similar to what you are talking about.
it is rather noisy in the clutch area.
if it was a rod bearing i think you would hear it get louder as
you twisted the throttle.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Squid

Had to go start it and listen...

It makes the noise at idle in neutral. No change when you pull the clutch in. It gets louder when you blip the throttle - almost a diesel like knocking noise. It's not so bad (almost not noticeable) when you hold the rpms constant above 3,000. when you blip the throttle that's when you can really hear it - only as the rpms are increasing.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
what grade of gas are you running
Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

Had to go start it and listen...

It makes the noise at idle in neutral. No change when you pull the clutch in. It gets louder when you blip the throttle - almost a diesel like knocking noise. It's not so bad (almost not noticeable) when you hold the rpms constant above 3,000. when you blip the throttle that's when you can really hear it - only as the rpms are increasing.

Thanks for the reply!
you may be right,mine makes a knocking sound at idle that pretty
much goes away when i hold in the clutch.
sounding like a diesel doesnt sound to hopeful.
so you are saying you can hear it from a distance also?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Squid

I'm running 93 octane pump gas - don't think it's spark knock - definitely a mechanical sound. I did some listening with a wooden dowel and you can hear it well at the base of the cylinders. Does any one think it could be piston slap? It does get quieter when it gets warm. I assume that these pistons have a pretty short skirt on them so any wear would let them move around a bit at the bottom of the stroke until they get warm and expand. My 97 chevy truck does the same when it's cold.

I did hear one of the cam chains rattling a bit with that wooden dowel as well. maybe time for some APE's...

Either that or some slip ons!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

I'm running 93 octane pump gas - don't think it's spark knock - definitely a mechanical sound. I did some listening with a wooden dowel and you can hear it well at the base of the cylinders. Does any one think it could be piston slap? It does get quieter when it gets warm. I assume that these pistons have a pretty short skirt on them so any wear would let them move around a bit at the bottom of the stroke until they get warm and expand. My 97 chevy truck does the same when it's cold.

I did hear one of the cam chains rattling a bit with that wooden dowel as well. maybe time for some APE's...

Either that or some slip ons!!!
hell ride it fix it when it breaks!

they are noisy i will give them that.
serious though ride it and if it is rod bearing you will know
as soon as you put a load on the motor.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Squid

SnapAttack is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys,

It starts and runs well (wheelies - wow!) but it has what I consider a rather loud knocking noise coming from the lower end. If I had to make a guess it sounds like a lower rod bearing. The CCT's are stock but it's not the "rattle" the everyone describes.
Eric

I am new to the Superhawk and thought the same thing. Mine will start to "knock" around 4k under throttle. I was use to inline 4s smooth operation. After (2) quality assurance checks at the local "stealers" and personal test measurements at high rpm ranges and speed, I've determined it is the nature of the beast. And for me, ducking into a wind tunnel on a straight Texas backroad thinking the knock between you legs could scatter at any given moment is ALMOST as fun as pulling a wheelie while coming out of a turn. Seriously, the first thing I did was fire a used one up at the dealer, questioned the tar out of him and bought one cheap privately. Damn, I almost feel dirty.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Describing noises is difficult, I would get your local Honda mechanic to have a listen to it, or line up another VTR in your area to listen too. Maybe test ride a new bike and check it out.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:08 AM
Squid

JIMMYJAMES is on a distinguished road
Mine is exactly the same, did anyone get anywhere with this? I will be stripping mine out as soon as i fix my other transport as its just not right. My clutch basket is or has been rubbing on the cover and it has forced it outwards to such an extent you can see a convex circle on the cover
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMES
Mine is exactly the same, did anyone get anywhere with this? I will be stripping mine out as soon as i fix my other transport as its just not right. My clutch basket is or has been rubbing on the cover and it has forced it outwards to such an extent you can see a convex circle on the cover
Well in your case you then have a complete clutch rebuild on your hands... That would be a spring or bolt sticking out probably...

And it shouldn't be the same as the OP has... Should...
Old 10-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well in your case you then have a complete clutch rebuild on your hands... That would be a spring or bolt sticking out probably...

And it shouldn't be the same as the OP has... Should...
Thats what i thought, it clatters like mad and its driving me insane The problem is i have to keep using it because the van is broken too. I will have to treat her gently for a while until i get a spare minute to strip it out.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAMES
Thats what i thought, it clatters like mad and its driving me insane The problem is i have to keep using it because the van is broken too. I will have to treat her gently for a while until i get a spare minute to strip it out.
I wouldn't if I was in your shoes... It could very well sieze up on you anytime, and whatever is doing the circle you are seeing is probably on it's way through the clutch cover... I'd probably suggest looking for a replacement... And the oil is more than likely filled with shavings...
Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
I wouldn't if I was in your shoes... It could very well sieze up on you anytime, and whatever is doing the circle you are seeing is probably on it's way through the clutch cover... I'd probably suggest looking for a replacement... And the oil is more than likely filled with shavings...
I changed the oil a week ago and there was no signs of any swarf in there so i'm fairly convinced the worst is over and its not touching anymore. It might be from a previous clutch failure which is starting to go bad again.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Squid

Had the cover off mine and the clutch is like new, but there has been problems there before because of the marks on the cover. My rattle was caused by the primary drive vibration damper not being assembles correctly hence the rattle. The bike is smooth and rattle free now