General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just rode a 2006 R1

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Squid

miken996
Just rode a 2006 R1

First off I was not really inrested in the braking and suspetion and handling I just wanted to see what this thing could really do power wise Well my buddy let me ride his 2006 R1 my first impressions were wow the exhaust sounds pretty good for and inline 4 I must say the bike was very predicable and very stable very easy to ride. I was very suprised for a 160hp 78 lbs 1000cc 400 lbs superbike the lack of get up and go under 7000 rpm.(i'm 5'9 170lbs) made my superhawk fell like it had a stage 2 nitrous kit installed. You need to clutch it up, and that was suprising for a 1000cc bike but when you do things get really intresting and very fast there is a big hit around 8000. fast starts were easy and forgiving however you need to clutch it other wise if your lazy off the line and do a 1st gear low rpm roll neck and neck with the superhawk the superhawk will take it period as the R1 just cant get to the power fast enough with out the clutch (the r6 is dredful) the R1 will eventually catch up though and pass but alot of road has gone by at this point if you are pushing the superhawk were as the R6 will not. Is the superhawk the last fairing sport bike that trully has ablity to mix it up on the track and still have that streetable grunt from 1500 all the way up (if I recall the RC51 doesnt pull much harder down low than the superhawk if anything it may be a little less). When I got off the bike I was not as impressed as I thought I would be and was more than happy with my 1998, slow reving, gas guzzling, outdated, carburated, softsprung, heavy superhawk. Besides I believe with an extra 20 hp the superhawk would be able to hold its own on any slower track and be untouchable on the street and thats pretty obtanable for a reasonable amount of money if done by yourself. Im not intreasted in reving to the moon to get power and I never will be I guess I can never buy a new sportbike no matter what the ccs.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

What I love about the newer bikes is their handling. The Superhawk's handling isn't bad, but when I had the chance to sample a friend's RC and another's 996, the difference was immediately apparent. And their bikes were running the stock suspension.

I love my Superhawk for what it is - a sporty bike with a comfortable riding position and a sound that's to die for.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:16 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just rode a 2006 R1

that's exactly how I felt about my friends ZX-636 after I rode it. no pull below 10,000rmp. I'll get another newer sportbike someday (can't garantee it'll be an inline-4) but I'll never get rid of my superhawk.

unless it gets destroyed in a crash. then I'll get another one.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:14 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Inline fours seem to suck. Even my old Twin Ninja 250R seems comperable to a CBR F4i 2005 in terms of acceleration up to 60mph (er, after that the CBR takes off like a bat, 'course).

Thanks for the R1 review. I was very curious as the numbers again don't match-up to rider's experience. They say the R1 is an insanely fast bike but obviously not under 8k rpms which aside from track-use is unrealistic. Who rides above 8k rpms consistantly? If only for short spurts?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Squid

someonehappy

My friend has a 03 R1, it accelerates insanely above 4000-5000 rpm, some articles said nowaday sportbikes are more racy than their ancestors, it's probably true.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

"Even my old V-Twin Ninja 250R .." huh? the Ninja was a parallel twin, or a 360 degree v if you prefer

Althogh I have not had the pleasure of riding a new R1, press reports are pretty unanimous that it is a peaky engine, the most of all the liter bikes (been compared to a 600 on steroids actually). For a more accurate (?) mid-range comparo, you should try to get saddle time on a GSX-R (said to be torquiest of the 1000's)

Thanks for the feedback

cheers
Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

The 'o3 versions are supposed to have more mid range

Your forgetting about the Suzuki TLR, TLS, Ducati's and Aprilia
Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

That was a nice write up. Just coming off of inline fours I can say that I love the twin. I have owned a SuperHawk before and always regretted getting rid of it. I have no plans of ever getting rid of the Chicken. I think the new bikes look absolutely amazing but I don't know when I'd ever get the RPM's that high.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Squid

miken996

Dont get me wrong here the R1 is a fast mo fo its just what I have gotten use to instant respose from down low and no clutch business at all anywere. if you were to slip the clutch just a little on the R1 the motor is so smooth and very punchy then you will eat a superhawk alive but it just isnt real world and I have no desire to to 180 mph even on the track. The latest and greatest equipment avalible bike looks are second to none but all I wanted was my superhawk back must say alot for this machine and its sad it never got updated mabye sales would have been diffrent if this was the case but will never know.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Squid

Halbard

Most of the newer "superbikes" seem to have the same problem... anthough the Gixer is a bit better then the R1 in the takeoff catagory...

They seem to have left the street behind, in the quest for more track glory. On the street, my Hawk has no problem running with any of the "big boys"... especially in the twisties thru the Sierras. On the track... well, it's not exactly a slouch.

I'll second the idea... I might buy a new bike one day, but I ain't gettin rid of the 996.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:43 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
When I rode with a friend on his 1000RR with my "built" VTR, he could outgun me at will. Anytime, anywhere. He just had to have the engine running above 6-7k. I guess if I was running around spinning the engine that fast, I could have matched his power better, but then I would run out of RPM. But regardless, I loved the midrange grunt.

I put a set of JE pistons in and did a port/valve job on another friends '02 RC51. He let me ride it and it had way less midrange streeet torque than my VTR. Loved the top-end though. Now he just needs valve springs, connecting rods, crankshaft work, bigger cams to get the redline up....$$$$
Old 03-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Superstock

denmah
the bottom end is so much more fun than wingy top end.

obviously most of us are going to have a biased opinion hahaha
Old 03-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Squid

Monomaster
Remember, IL4's like the R1, GSXR & ZX10R are built for track performance first & foremost....
When you get the same bike on the street (where we do 80%+ of our riding in the real world!)...they suck the big one! They have a universal sterile feel at any semi-legal speed & have near to no exhaust sound of which to speak!
Yes our beloved VTR can be outblasted on the track & takes a good rider to beat us on the street, but out there in the average day-to-day world of the biker... midrange is where the fun is.
How many IL4 guys hang on to their bike past 2 years?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:22 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
The Hayabusa and new ZX14 will have midrange power but look how big the motors are to get it. Inline 4's are scary fast in the top end range but even the big ones don't come on strong until after 6 grand and for a 1000cc about 8 grand.

Nothing else really has the street punch like these V twins do. That and the sound add up to a lot more satisfying experience in everyday riding than the inline 4's.

They definetly have to catch you before they can pull you from a stop unless of course they have an expert rider aboard.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:00 AM
Squid

Halbard
Yeah... but that ZX-14 might just make it's way into my garage.... big and REALLY nasty. But even it won't replace the hawk for runs in the twisties around here. Just be fun to ride somthing with close to 200 horses. DAMN!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:01 PM
SuperSport

What about the new FZ1 (150bhp built for the street)?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
read the review on motorcycle daily online. Dissappointing midrange and low end. Won't even pull a power wheelie in first.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:58 PM
SuperSport

I just did the other night. Oh well. Guess we'll have to wait for the new Superhawk then. :P
Old 04-04-2006, 01:06 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

most people don't realize how big the FZ is. its around 500lbs dry if I remember correctly so they can kiss that 150hp advantage goodbye. power to weight sucks anyway. and with a I-4, it just can't compensate in the low end. compared to the SH, they seem like one step more toward the "sport-touring" type bike.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road

The weight will be about the same as a Superhawk--within 15 or 20 pounds anyway. Other than low end power, it will smoke a Superhawk, has better brakes and suspension and a stiffer frame. Too bad about the relative lack of midrange punch, but a gearing change will probably help a bunch with that.
I like the Superhawk, but let's be realistic. Torque is more a function of displacement than engine configuration. Sure the 'Hawk has great low end torque, but modern inline fours of equal displacement typically have more torque and boatloads more horsepower, albeit at higher revs. It's not really that hard to keep an I-4 literbike in the powerband.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Back Marker

bluesman

I disagree. FZ1 will smoke a Shawk, but not even in 50% of cases.
I saw what happens with FZ1 on really tight canyon roads - even 250cc supermoto smoked it. It is one heavy handling bike, and nothing will make me believe that new one will do better.
Just to give you idea - most popular Yamaha Fazer in Europe - FZS600 - did smoke FZ1 easy on alpine serpentines. It's own small brother.

But of course it is IMO

But R1 will smoke Shawk everywhere...may be - if rider can cope. For couple hundred miles it'll do. And then rider will have to wait for "support van" with luggage and use scotch tape to cope with clipons.

This is the problem: worlds lacks all-rounders, there is a race for figures and pure sport that overshadowing real world. Last examples were Thunderace, old Kwak 10, and brilliant old Blade. Gixxer at this time was a bit too heavy...
Just 2 years ago I saw people on old BMWs smoking just about everything on the road in French Alps while using cylinders heads as knee sliders. And I still rememeber embarrasment of being overtaken by 16 year old boy on XR250 converted into supermoto.

Sorry...I went all sentimental
Old 04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road

I basically agree. In the mountains the rider is more important than the bike. I pass guys on race replicas all the time. Of course, the user friendly powerband of the Superhawk doesn't hurt, but on a straight piece of road the FZ will motor away. Fortunately, where I like to ride the road isn't straight in very many places.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
SuperSport

At the street level the rider has got to be about 80% of the equation.

If I was on a tiny 600 that I didn't care about (read "beater") I could ride like a complete moron. My buddy rides anything old and has even been out on group rides on an Ascot and a Goldwing. His bike of choice is an ancient VF1000R (yes "R" model) and that thing is like an 800 lb tank. When he's on that only the best on something reasonably modern can beat him. The rest of the guys are on every sportbike imaginable. In the twisty stuff he's usually 3rd'ish. The guys on the liter bikes R1 and ZX10 are at the end because a: they're scared shitless of their bikes AND B: if they dump them they're out $10k

For a real world all rounder the new FZ1 has got to be a pretty nice bike out of the box. Bump the rear sprocket up a couple teeth and your golden. The Shawk NEEDS suspension and other mods.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:37 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was once told the fastest guys on the street are the guys willing to risk the most. The fastest guys on the track are the ones with the most skillz. Even on the track if you have a more talented guy on an inferior bike he will beat the guy on the superior machine. I regularly smoke better bikes on the track until we get to the straights, anybody can twist a wrist.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

I am good with the wrist..... Oh and I can twist a throtle as well.....
Old 04-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Back Marker

bluesman

Well, psychological factor is there - I was more kinda pointing at technical side.
Baiscally - to tell you all story - I had 600 in-line4 for 4 years. Rode guts out of it while chased friend on VTR on twisty road. I constantly was hitting rev limitter. At all gears up to 5th (5th and 6th was useless anyway at this speed). He just absolutely destoryed me. I can't catch up, whatever I do, even on straights. Just can't. Yes, I know it was oldish CBR600 PC25 engine, but it had been tuned to give more midrange.
Transitions off-on throttle just killed all my chances in that run - it was very fast-revving engine but it could'nt climb rpms fast enough to catch on that VTR rider who just kept it in 3rd gear all the time.
My other friend had FZR1000 1995 all pimped-up with race goodies that Yamaha put on that last model - 6 pot calipers, USD forks, Ohlins shock. Bike was mint and realy made 143 bhp at cranck. And my 600 would be way faster on twisties, no matter who rides it. Then other friend got Hornet 900 - and he became way faster than me at same twisties. When I asked - why? He said "smooth, midrange is great".
Then I rode my VTR and found that on those roads I can go way faster than on 600 by using powerband and - and it is IMHO very important - fact that thumping twin's rear wheel does hold grip better, and I mean - much better. So I went "step up" in my riding (thou I changed oil and sprins in forks and installed all-great Wilbers shock).
Talking about FZ1 powerband I do honestly believe that for example Hornet 900 will eat FZ1 on alpine twisties, specially as I saw it happen to CBR600 and older Fazer, purely by using CB900 hyper-smooth always-there engine.
But at the end of the day rider ultimately is the one who "wins"
I can't say about track vs. street, as I generally hate cities, streets etc. and not big fan of trackdays - I like to travel. But track versus twisty mountain road - IMHO no way that man riding faster on track is the one with more skill that rider going fast but safe on road and managing to take curves, avoid damaged road, see 3 cars ahead, think about his fuel level etc. etc. - it is like Isle of Man TT vs. AMA race
All above IMO...have I managed to bore you with my ultralong post? :wink:
We call it "moto toxicose" - happens when weather sucks and I can't ride for couple months... I hope weather on your side of the pond is better...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

lol, good stuff....no napping....ah what did you say.... 8)