General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Just got back from Deals Gap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:49 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Just got back from Deals Gap.

Well, I had a blast and that was the 2nd time in a year. The SH hung with the best of them and I was right up in the front with everybody, and that's new R1s, ZX-10r and TL1000r. Cornering was great and the bike was awesome. I had a camera mounted on my tank but it was not digital. That low end torque sure paid off on those corners. Going down again in 6 weeks. Can't wait.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:16 PM
faz
Superstock

faz
Re: Just got back from Deals Gap.

Glad to hear you had fun.

As for the bike keeping up, well, at local roads and local street rider levels, I personally believe that it is 90% the rider and 10% the bike.

We have a local rider/racer here who rides on his wife's Ninja 250 on local group rides on the weekends, and "experienced" riders on their gixers or R1s aren't able to keep up with him.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot
Glad to hear you had fun.

As for the bike keeping up, well, at local roads and local street rider levels, I personally believe that it is 90% the rider and 10% the bike.

We have a local rider/racer here who rides on his wife's Ninja 250 on local group rides on the weekends, and "experienced" riders on their gixers or R1s aren't able to keep up with him.
I agree totally. Everyone was surprised how fast I was. I was riding very comfortably and I was loving it.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Squid

Retro
While I haven't ridden the dragon yet, I have quite a few buddies who have and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, it appears that some of the locals are unhappy with the growing popularity of the area and are taking things into their own hands.

http://www.unitedbikers.com/forum/to...?TOPIC_ID=8290

Ride safe!
Old 05-12-2005, 08:08 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

There are no locals in the classic sense. Next to the physical layout of the road itself, the best thing about it is there are no driveways, no other entrances nor exits on it. Nobody lives on it who could call it their "own". Amazing. And there aren't any towns really that close to it either.

Me thinks it's just a-holes who think it's funny. Just like those teenagers who strung up clear plastic across a road last year that "caught" one motorcyclist and his passenger. I hope they get what's coming to them!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Back Marker

RymerC

One of my buds alerted me to this vandalism... I hope they catch that little **** & put him/her away! And to think, I almost made it down there this spring. Good to hear ya got back alright.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:52 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah
Originally Posted by AZZKIKER";p=&quot
Well, I had a blast and that was the 2nd time in a year. The SH hung with the best of them and I was right up in the front with everybody, and that's new R1s, ZX-10r and TL1000r. Cornering was great and the bike was awesome. I had a camera mounted on my tank but it was not digital. That low end torque sure paid off on those corners. Going down again in 6 weeks. Can't wait.
let me know when you go i will meet up with you
Old 05-16-2005, 10:55 AM
SuperSport

I am going the lst 3 days in July, I will keep you posted on the exact date.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

AzzKiker

Hey let me know too when you settle on dates. I might come up from Nashville and ride with you.

I went up for the day on the Sunday before you (May 8). We ran the rode about 10am and they had just had 6 new oil spots done Saturday night. Luckily i had checked www.tailofdragon.com before going up and already new on the 2 oil spills from a few days before that, so i was ready for the up-expected. which i found. Nothing like coming out of right hand banked turn and leaned over only to catch a shinny surface out of the corner of your eye going all the way from white line to yellow diver and 30 to 40 feet long.

I swung out into the other lane and fortunatley there was no on-coming traffic. TDOT showed up around noon and sanded all of the oil spot and our good samaritan guys at www.kilboy.com brought out blowers and heat tourches to bake the oil ans sand off.

Luckily it was only in the outer lane and you could still enjoy the inner lane direction.

I stopped and spoke with the locals rider that were marking the corners ahead of the oil spills with red flags or other stuff to give riders a heads up.

While stopped i found out that one of the Mini-Cooper guys (up to the gap for the annual Mini-Cooper event) spotted a flat-bed truck throwing oil filled mason jars on the rode and got his tag number. Supposidly this info was given to TNHP to investigate.

Of course all of this is second hand, so who knows the validity of the information, but hopefully they catch who ever did this and make an example of them.

A guy hit one of the marked sand spot before they were all cleaned up and crashed. Hope he is ok, we came buy as they loaded his Suzuki or Yamaha on the back of a wrecker after hauling it back up the bank where it went over.

All in all i will hopefully go back up in a few weeks.

Did you do the Cherohala Skyway
Old 05-16-2005, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

Yes, I was there when they had the oil spills. We ended up doing the skyway that day to avoid the oil spots.After the skyway we headed to the dragon and by the time we went thru, it was all clean. I am going to be there from the 28th to the 31st of July. Meet me there and let's have some fun. I will be staying in robinsville.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Squid

tjayswift

I don't post on here much anymore, but I'm about as "local" as it gets to Deal's Gap... funny how word gets around.

The oil spots are all gone now, and it looks like the kids who did it have been busted. No "real" offical word yet, though.

Deal's Gap forum.