General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lower For Drag Racing.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Back Marker

BooYeah
Lower For Drag Racing.....

I am going to start competing in a local brack racing class, this year i will be using the hawk instead of a ZX6R I have.

If you lower the rear and strap the front it becomes alot more predictable, so i need a way to lower the rear, any ideas??

Any links made for the bike?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Superstock

cdyer77
I dont know anyone thats makes lowering link for the hawk. You can have a machinist make you a set, shouldn't be that difficult for a good mechanist.

They are just 2 flat bars of aluminium with holes drilled thru them.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Lower For Drag Racing.....

I've heard of VFR guys rotating their triangular plate 180 degrees as it's mounint holes are not symetrical; supposedly drops the rear nearly an inch.

Looking at the VTR's plate via an online fiche, it appears to be symetrical so that won't work. You "might" be able to drill a lower shock mounting hole in it tho'. In my limited experience, I've found that because of the linkage ratios, a samll adjustment makes for a much larger difference in ride height.

Clearance during suspension travel? You're in no-mans land there......

The plate, called an arm sub-assembly on the fiche, is about $60 at ronayers.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk

You gotta tell me how you manage to jump off the line without getting swatted by the VTR. Everytime I've tried I damn near binned the hawk. The clutch always seams to be very grabby and I can't get it to slip out nicely. I raced a freind of mine, he was riding a HD FXR, very fast and powerful for a HD. He slipped out from the light but I had to give him the lead for fear of getting tossed like a midget on a mad bull. I got him after I hit 3rd but I was floating the front about a foot from the ground and my fat @$$ practically on the tank. Let me know what you do to get the clutch to be less herky jerky.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

A friend has a lowered and strapped 05 gsxr1000, he can only get a car or two out of the whole on me now.

I have raced for years and it is all about your weight transfer when you come to shift to second. Not to mention strapping the front end for racing helps alot. For every inch on the front it is like adding about 60 pounds. makign the bike much harder to wheelie and thus pulling harder than you ever thought a vtr could.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Just thought about this some more and the answer is relatively easy and cheap (got your attention now!). Just get a shock from a cbr; plenty on ebay. They are all shorter (as much as 2 inches) and will lower your rear accordingly. The 900 series have the heaviest spring but it's still too weak for the 'hawk and you'll need to run it maxed out. How much do you weigh?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Back Marker

BooYeah

I weigh about 200, what would i need to do? what shock off what bike?