General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

jet kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
jet kit installation

Sorry for the Newbie question ( ). Despite doing a lot of work on snowmobiles in the past I am fairly new to doing work on the VTR. So, as I was contemplating installing my Dynojet kit in the coming days, I was wondering if the choke cables and coolant lines have to be removed in order to change the (main) jets on carbs? Is outright carb removal necessary? I would imagine (perhaps incorrectly) that I can replace the needles without pulling the carbs right out? Am I right?

I am asking these questions as I live in an apartment and so will be in the unenviable position of having to do this on the side of the street Alternatively, I can also wait until my next valve adjustment (due shortly) and have the dealer install it.

So how difficult/easy is to install the jet kit? (I will not be drilling the slides as per advice received from Revolution Racing in the UK)

Thanks again folks and sorry for my Newbie-ness

cheers
Old 05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: jet kit installation

I just finished doing this Monday.

The tank has to come off. The air box has to come off. The choke line doesn't need to come off, only where it clamps to the frame, so you can pull it through when.....you take the carbs off And yes, there is a crap load of lines that need to be pulled off.

Your right, the carbs do not need to come off if your just changing the needles.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:09 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

wondering if the choke cables and coolant lines have to be removed in order to change the (main) jets on carbs? Is outright carb removal necessary? I would imagine (perhaps incorrectly) that I can replace the needles without pulling the carbs right out? Am I right?
In order of question:
- Yes on the coolant lines and Choke cables - Two notes here, Do not drain the coolant as the service manual says, just use a good pair of needle nose type vise grips and after pulling the hoses off, just clamp off with the vice grips. Second note is be very careful with the plastic nuts that secure the choke cables to the carbs and do not crimp the cables accidently.
- Yes the carbs must come off to replace the mains
- Yes you can replace the needles without completly removing the carbs, as best i recall you will have to pull the carbs up out of the lower intake boots to get the front carbs needle out. I think you also have to loosen the throttle cables for this as well. Make a mark on top of the cables to make sure the are in the same location and position as when you started.

I am asking these questions as I live in an apartment and so will be in the unenviable position of having to do this on the side of the street Alternatively, I can also wait until my next valve adjustment (due shortly) and have the dealer install it.
I personnaly would NEVER attemtp this in an apartment parking lot nor would i do it in my own concrete driveway (outside). This is better off done somewhere where you can take your time, and if you get stuck or need time to resolve a prolblem with install you can stop and come back to it later.
My moto on the dealer thing is this "I can do it better, cheaper, and learn from it 70% time. The other 30% of the time i cost my self more money and time than if i had the dealer do it, but in the long run i come out ahead"

So how difficult/easy is to install the jet kit? (I will not be drilling the slides as per advice received from Revolution Racing in the UK)

I personally am not a Dynojet fan at all, i usually go with Factory Pro kits, which is what i have in my VTR. No drilling required. Have to leave those comments to other Dynojet guys on the forum.

In closing, if you are patient, enjoy wrench as much as riding, can fine a freinds garage i would reccommend you do it your self and have fun. 50/50 chance the first time you install the mains and needles they are going to require tweaking to fine tune, which means you got to at least change a needle clip. If you take it to a dealer they are most likely not going to get it right on the first time and that means another service fee and another chance a reckless mechanic can screw something up for you.

PM if you need technical help, be glad to help or suggest. If you lived in TN area i would help you install it.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:49 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies guys. I believe I may defer this one to my dealer then as I unfortunately do not have an adequate place to perform the work. Fortunately (thanks Norrth), I have the proper settings for the kit (180F/185R, 4th clip on needle, air screws 2.5 turns out) for my particular Micron slip-ons so I can provide these to the dealer. Any fine-tuning (aiar screw or needle if required) I can then do myself as I can do this w/o removing the carbs.

Incidentally, I chose to use the Dynojet kit after coming across this article (http://users.adelphia.net/~lcjhnsn/l...uning_page.htm). Also, the fact that Micron called on DJ to design their own kit I felt gave some credibilty to DJ in this particular instance. I hope I made the correct choice.

Thanks again. Gotta love this forum

cheers
Micky