General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Jet kit installation/tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 05:16 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Jet kit installation/tuning

Greetings everyone,

I called two local bike shops to look into installing the DJ kit I purchased for my 99 VTR (as I do not have the facility to do it myself). One uses a dyno and charges $350 CDN to install and tune while the other charges $300 and uses an exhaust gas analyzer to do the tuning. When questioned, the shop with the EGA sais the tuning will be just as good, the only difference being I will not get a hp readout from them.

Which should I take? Can I expect similar/identical results from both? Although getting a hp chart would be nice, it is not essential and at this time it would be more convenient to go to the EGA shop.

One last thing, I recall someone mentioning that in order to get accurate EGA readings the PAIR system must be disabled. Is this true? If so, can I expect this shop to know this?

Feedback welcome and appreciated.

cheers
Old 06-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my bike Dyno run at a reputable motorcycle performance shop locally last year. They used a machine that measures HP as well as Fuel/Air mixture. They gave me a copy of the results on a floppy disk, as well as a hard copy. He also gave me recommendations as to what might best be done to improve the flat spot around 4500-5500 RPM range. All this for $40 bucks. I was happy with the service!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by BeerHunter";p=&quot
I had my bike Dyno run at a reputable motorcycle performance shop locally last year. They used a machine that measures HP as well as Fuel/Air mixture. They gave me a copy of the results on a floppy disk, as well as a hard copy. He also gave me recommendations as to what might best be done to improve the flat spot around 4500-5500 RPM range. All this for $40 bucks. I was happy with the service!

damn! where was this at? thats worth riding half way across the country!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Jet kit installation/tuning

inde, you misread like I first did. $40 for a dyno run only, jetkit installation/tuning NOT included.

Personally, I'd go with the cheaper EG analyzer. Getting that right will have the bike running smooth and reasonably fuel efficient. So what if you make 1.64 less hp. (arbitrary figure of course). This assume both shops are of equal service quality. Have you check on that?
Old 06-30-2005, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

thanks Doug,

that is precisely the kind of input I was seeking. I guess I can always have it run on the dyno at a later date if curiosity gets the best of me.

cheers
Micky
Old 06-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

When doing my jets I went to a local shop and had them do a dyno but only to get exhaust gas readouts. The dyno dude only charged $25 for each run but he did exactly what I wanted which was to let the bike stabilize at various speeds and get the readings so could be sure how it was doing on each circuit and especially at a normal cruise rpm (for me 3800 - 4100). I really wasn't at all interested in HP readouts or what the bike would do just wacking the throttle open. After a couple of jet changes and dyno-Exh-gas runs I got the carbs setup great.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Hummm...

For only 50$ difference, for my self I think I will go with the Dyno one!

I never hear about this EGA way, but maybe if it was 100$ or 150$ difference, that could be more interesting, but for only 50$!!

Who are these shop? I guess the Dyno setup is from Amisport, and the EGA is from who?

Take care because you know doing thing twice is more expensive than one time well done!!

IMHO
Old 06-30-2005, 10:28 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

Well what were your final setups? What was the recommendation to get rid of the infamous flat spot?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:50 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
The best way to tune a bike is on a dyno with an EGA. You should be able to find a tuner with an integrated system.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

Hi Gents,

thanks for the replies. After some consideration, I have elected to book an appointment with the "dyno dealer". I may get them to do a run with long and short intake runners on front sylinder for comapriso purposes as well. We shall see. My main reason for choosing this one is due to their reputation for tuning sportbikes (authorized Dynojet/Power Commander center).

thansk to all for your input.