General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

It's back....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It's back....

and it's good!!!!!

Well, a short 3+ months after dropping the bike off at the dealer's (only to discover the source of the knocking sound was a snapped crank), I picked up the bike yesterday. I am pleased to report that, following a 200 km ride today, it runs great. I am especially pleased with the cams settings I had the shop install (had been running Mori Stage 1 cams timed at 106 (IN)/109 (EX) and had them put the Mori exh cam in the intake posn and time it at 102 along with putting the OEM exh. cam back in its original position and timed at 108 degrees - this essentially gives me "Stage 0.5" spec and it gives me exactly what I was seeking, an extremely strong and responsive mid-range). I had to adjust the jetting following the change (thank God for Flo-Commanders) and everything is spot-on now. Hopefully, this is the end of the (previous) bad news story........
Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Man I'm happy to hear that... I'm glad it worked out for you and I hope nothing else serious breaks on you.

Interesting about the cams, I wonder if web-cams would cut me a deal to only regrind my intakes... do you have dyno numbers?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM
MotoGP

no dyno numbers, sorry. I may or may not get it dyno'd later, but as I am still waiting on my modded/HDJ-equipped carbs to arrive from Factory Pro, any potential dyno runs will wait until such time...... Physics tells me that it's not as strong on top-end (slightly less lift and duration on both respective cams compared to the previous full Mori Stage 1 set-up), but the new timing (particularly with the intake closing sooner) boots low-end (at the detriment of top-end) and raises cylinder pressure and intake vacuum, both factors which, again, improve power and response in the lower rpm register. Compared to OEM specs, I now have 0.2-0.3mm more lift and 4 degrees more duration on the intake side. I also have 2 degrees more overlap (all of which should improve power in the mids compared to stock). I have run my bike with Yoshi Stage 1 cams, stock cams (in ported heads with JE pistons and Akra exhaust), as well as the full Mori Stage 1 set-up, and can honestly say it runs better now than it ever has (in the targeted 3-7K rpm range, of course) .

FWIW, I will possibly be looking to part with the Mori Stage 1 intake cams (which are also fitted with a Falicon adjustable cam sprockets), though I haven't yet definitely made up my mind on that one.......

Last edited by mikstr; 08-07-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

dibs on the mori's if you decide to sell
Old 08-07-2015, 06:45 PM
MotoGP

noted....
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 PM
SuperBike

what is the difference between the yoshi's and mori's BTW? Is there a difference?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:05 PM
MotoGP

Yoshi cams are identical on intake and exhaust, both having 250 degrees duration and 10.7mm lift. The Mori intakes have 255 duration and 10.3mm lift while the exhaust are at 249 degrees and 10.1mm lift (stock are both 245 duration and @9.8-9.9mm lift)....
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
So your stock exhaust cam has an adjustable cam sprocket?

I used to degree cams on Cannondale ATV/Dirtbike engine. The cams/gears had 8 holes in each (at least the good ones had 8 holes) and moveable pins so you could get different readings.... Took a LONG time... Adjustable sprockets would have been much quicker....

James
Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

I don't believe so, IIRC stock exhaust cam sprockets had the holes slotted (stock LC is 107.5 so getting to 108 is not a big jump).... (actually, I should have a look to be sure, it could be the shop removed the Falicon sprockets from the Mori intake, but I doubt it).
Old 08-07-2015, 11:35 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Have you fitted the HRC brace thingy to the rear of the frame?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:31 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The carbon express lives!! Enjoy it while ya can, cold weather is coming.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:58 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Ya would love pics of the cams, whichever ones you still have.

James
Old 08-09-2015, 05:47 AM
MotoGP

went for a 400 km ride yesterday and am pleased to report that the bike runs like a champ. I am truly pleased. For Spokes, I have indeed fit the HARCPro-replica brace and bike seems tauter. On another note, I now have a better feel for the Dymag rims (better response and easier turn-in) and the Ferodo XRAC front brake pads are now properly bedded with the CMC rotors and the braking is breathtaking, one finger capable of doing the job with little effort.

I geared up to a 42 rear sprocket (down from 43) and the bike still hauls the mail.

I can't wait to get the HDJ carbs back and giving them a go, it could be the cherry on an already wicked sundae....
Old 08-09-2015, 06:12 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Lol.

James
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM
MotoGP

went for a short rider yesterday (after stopping by Jack Flash's house where he kindly synched my carbs) and the bike makes me grin like a Cheshire cat... The only hiccup is that I noticed a liquid dripping from the bike, something I traced to the coolant pump weep hole, meaning the mechanical seal is pooched. Thankfully, I ordered the seal and side cover gasket and, get this, both are readily available (incredible, I thought for sure the letters BO would appear in my life again, lol). So, I booked some shop time this coming Friday and should be good to go the same day...... Yet another twist in the story, but at least the costs and delays for this later hiccup are entirely workable. Can't wait to get tihs fixed so I can get back to enjoying my bike, which has never run this well......
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Very pleased to hear that all is well.

When my seal went I fitted an electric water pump and removed the drive gears and chain.

With the lightened flywheel and no anti rattle gears the thing spins up much quicker.

Come on mate, you might as well as you have everything else.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

I have been toying with just that idea for some time now. I may some day go down that road, but will the mechanical unit for now (FWIW, am running a ceramic bearing on the pump)