General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

im running a 190/55/17 is it bad.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Squid

4bangeranger is on a distinguished road
im running a 190/55/17 is it bad.

i thought i scored today. got a DIABLO SUPERCORSA SC for $30. keep in mind that im low on cash do to a broken arm. has 75% tred on it. its super soft and feels really good on a ride. (have broken arm only riding at 30%) is it bad to run a 190 55?? i do track days and like to ride aggresive when im not in a cast. also i have a bt-003 on the front. is it bad to miss match.. thanks guys
Old 03-25-2010, 01:19 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
"ideally" tires should match. But I look at it this way, which is worse, a tire that has tread that may not be the recommended size, or a worn out tire? I'd rather ride at 30% with a mis-match than not al all.

check out this thread:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=11282

Last edited by residentg; 03-25-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i mistakenly installed a 190x50 on a 5.5" rim thinking it was 6" and it works but changes some things. Basically you're squeezing the tire a little (beads in) which increases the the slope of the tire near the edges. I ran it for 1000 miles and found that when I leaned it over to the end point of the OEM size, it would start sliding. Despite this slipping, upon inspection of the tire after rides, the chicken strip indicated i was not to the tire edge. I don't know how much more lean i would have had to employ to get to the tire edges because I didn't have the ***** to try it on the street.

if I were using it on the track, I wouldn't be adverse to a little more experiment with the lean angle of the larger tire on the OEM rim, but i took it off for the road because I didn't feel I could anticipate what it was going to do after slipping started.

Also, my experience is with a bto-16 and your pirelli may be a different shape and be better or worse than what i experienced. I started out with cold pressure of 28. For the track, you may want to go a little lower, maybe 24 cold and see how it feels and looks when you're done with a few laps.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its very very bad. but not as bad as riding with a broken arm!!!
You are obvisouly insane, so in your world, if you put both things together its probably a very good idea.

More seriously, as noted above, your unlikely to notice much difference riding moderatel sanely. It will change the profile being on a narrow rim than intended and probaly be an overall taller tire. So it will change some handling characteristics and probably add some ride height which isn't all bad usually on these bikes.

good luck, but riding with a cast? hope its not in traffic.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Squid

haha thanks guys ... sorry for the delay. hit some twisties with it pressure at 22 psi. i was inches from draging a knee. could not get it all the way down. the grip was great way better than the old tire. its that soft compound. slid a little on painted lines. soon as it hit the road back on its path. most diffrence i felt was it being naked. anyways like the tire. way diffrent angle when turning. had chicken strips of half inch. i normaly have none. would not reccomend it but like nath said better than what i had.. thanks guys. cast come off in a month... ready for the track...
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

sounds like you're having fun. Almost got the knee down,huh. Good feeling. Either wait til you get the right tire or get thicker pucks,hahaha, or maybe you don't have pucks? whatever, just proceed with caution or if your going to take risks, take only calculated ones. Have fun.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
22 psi for a SC is too low. pirelli tires have soft a carcass and need a little more pressure.

the problem with the 190 is the tire rubbing on the singarm ( besides pinching a tire for a 6" rim onto a 5.5" ) compound that with low tire pressure and you 'may' find yourself in trouble.

SC ( 1, 2, 3 ) SC 1's don't like a lot of heat cycles, 2 &3's are ok - they just take a bit to warm up.

in a 120/180 combo the SC 2 is probably my favorite tire.

tim
Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
When I bought my bike it had a 190/55/17 on the rear so I only know how it handles with a 190. But from that experiance i gained was this: 1) I like the feel of a wider tire and I like how it handles when riding aggressively. 2) I like how the bike turns in a lil slower than stock cause in some twisies its nice.

Here are the dilikes:1) Looks like there are chicken strips and when you are full lean you slide like stated in the above post and also 2) takes alittle to get them warmed up.

Sorry to thread jack. Lil Drunk and just putttin my .02

Philip
Old 04-03-2010, 04:38 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I ran a 190/50 and had no problem with it rubbing against the swingarm. AS for mounting it on a 5.5" rim, while perhaps not ideal, it is by no means dangerous. In fact, I did some research a while back and one of the tire sites (Michelin?) listed both 180s and 190 as being appropriate for both 5.5 and 6" rims. So, enjoy the tire and don't worry.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
mikstr there is a significant difference here... A 190/50 like you tried would be roughly the equivalen of a 180/55 in profile once on the 5.5" rim (and probably about 185'ish in width)... A 190/55 however on a 5.5" rim is a lot taller and steeper at the edges... The profile is taller to begin with and even more so once squeezed onto the narrower rim... No, probably not dangerous... But I'd bet pretty vague at the edges...
Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

agreed it's not the ideal scenario, but given what I saw on the tire mfr's Web site, it's not as though he is putting his life in danger by riding it this way.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

the fact that it's on there, that he is riding rather aggressively with it, that, while not common, it's certainly been done before, and that he has a mismatched front to go with it probably suggests that there is leeway here, maybe no definititive or absolute. In terms of aggressive street riding, i am less willing to experiment with something a critical as tires, so I'll defer to others braver or those who experiment on the track to answer the question authoritatively.

relative to the 190x50 vs 55 on a 5" rim, there seems to be consensus that the 50 is okay while the 55 isn't. But I can't say that i understand why, unless the shorter side wall on the 50 adds sufficient rigidity for safe operation while the higher sidewall does not???

Last edited by nath981; 04-03-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The only real danger you can cause with a tire is if it's completely worn out, or if it's worn uneven having ridges... Other than that the most you get is slightly less grip, lean angle and odd behavior... Ridges however can create a speed wobble that's decidedly dangerous...
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Squid

lol glad i got some people in here now.. i bumped up the pressure to 30 psi. i have no problems with the tire rubbin on the swingarm in fact i have an inch on both sides. i do notice less grip if i power on to hard out. the rear will slide a bit. but i kinda like that feeling lol..feel like im racing a super bike . but really with the broken arm i dont ride aggressive all the time. as hard as that is to do. i just dont have any money, my other tire was gone and i got this one for 30 bucks. from what i was riding on its much much safer.. also going to that soft tire i have plenty of confidence in the tire. im looking for a bt003 for the rear now. if any thing im more worried about riding mis matchs than the 190/55's. also i have been working on setting up my suspention. i got that where i like it.. all tho i would like it stiffer.
my final words on the tire.. not as bad as every one thinks. if you want to push it on a 190/55 i have no problrm feeling when your getting close to the limit

thanks for all the input guys
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
MotoGP

and you are correct according to Dunlop. I was surprised to find that the manufacturer says that the 190s are okay and by the size of my 180 Q2(which is 189mm wide), I believe them. Sorry for the previous misinfo.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ire.asp?id=108
Old 04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
and you are correct according to Dunlop. I was surprised to find that the manufacturer says that the 190s are okay and by the size of my 180 Q2(which is 189mm wide), I believe them. Sorry for the previous misinfo.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...ire.asp?id=108
I don't mean to gloat, but I told you so (having done the research on this very matter some time ago)....
Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
I don't mean to gloat, but I told you so (having done the research on this very matter some time ago)....
liar, liar pants on fire..... you love it! hahaha

until I actually started measuring, I thought 180mm meant 180mm. What's even funnier is that Dunlop specifies that the 200x50 is only suitable for 6-6.5" rims and the width and height are actually less than that of the 190x55??? There are mysteries here that continue to confound the feeble of mind.