General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I'm Back

Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Ducksoup
Squid

Ducksoup16 is on a distinguished road
I'm Back

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 98 VTR with only 9K from the original owner. Its been jetted and has a full 2 brothers aluminum exhaust system, other than that, its just about all stock. I owned a 98, also bought used in 1999, and loved it. unfortunately, It had to go in an effort to pay for my son's college tuition in 2004. I'm back, and I can't wait to hit the road again. I have a few general questions; I'm older (53) and from what I remember the all-day rides caused some wrist pain. Are VFR bars a good option, or are the Heli's the way to go. My last one I had purchased a Sargent seat, which I plan to do on this rig too, is there a backrest option for those or is the Corbin the only way to keep my wife happy? and lastly, the original owner had the rear foot pegs removed when he had the 2-bro's installed, there seems to be a 3 inch gap between the bolts which held on the pegs (now the exhaust bracket), are most Honda rear pegs the same gap? do I need VTR pegs on this or are other(cheaper) honda pegs an option? It looks like I can install the original, or other set, over the exhaust bracket by using longer bolts?? Has anyone run into this before?
Thanks. think Spring!
Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Heli bars, or VFR bars are fine. Just pick up what you can afford, or what you can find?

I haven't found any other rear foot pegs that swap over (haven't looked much either). You can do as you suggested; put spacers to extend the rear pegs past the highmounts.

You could just look for a set of standard mount exhaust cans, someone here might want to do a swap for your TB highmounts?

If you plan on doing a decent amount of youring, you might want to look for a GIVI rack and a topcase with a backrest. It'd solve your wifes backrest issue?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Squid

festertruck is on a distinguished road
I might be interested in a mid pipe swap if that is what you end up wanting to do.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Ducksoup
Squid

Matt,
does your CBR929 have rear footpegs? what's the gap between the mounting bolts? There are hundreds of footpegs for honda's on Ebay, but it seems like the VTR pegs are few and far between, which is driving the cost up. There are front and rear CBR600 sets for half the cost of the VTR rears.
I see your from Toronto. I'm heading out there in a few weeks with my son...hockey hall of fame, maybe a leafs game. When does the riding season start there? Here in NH we're expecting a warm spell by the end of the week. I'm hoping to ride here by thursday.
Scott
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
SuperSport

Wednesday its supposed to be about 54`, so tolerable to get out on the bike.

I've checked the 929/954 rear pegs, and they're spaced much shorter than the VTR. Problem would also be that there is only an exhaust hanger on the right on the 929; vtr there is two.
I'm hoping to do a couple NH & PA rides this summer. 1200+ miles last I checked, and a decent 4 day ride for me. Probably take the GF this time.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Ducksoup
Squid

Matt,
I found a set of VTR rear pegs fairly cheap, I'm going to grind off the bottom where the exhaust bracket was bolted on, I think they'll look fine and work the few times they'll be needed. As far as the VFR bars, from the looks of them, they look like they would get mounted below the triple tree and extend up and beyond the normal height of the original bars, is that correct?

Scott
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
SuperSport

Name:  DSCF1224.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  103.4 KB

Stock VTR bar on the left, VFR bar on the right.
They mount in the same location as the stock bar, on top of the triple.