General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

If you had to choose...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
If you had to choose...

Hey if you had a choice between a 2005 RC51 and a 2005 VFR800(actually i think the 2006 has that sweet matte black so maybe that one) which would you go with? all things and possible aspects considered.

I am slightly torn based on gas range and comfort which leans me towards the VFR. then again the fun factor, power and sound of the twin leans me back to the RC51

anyway, lend me your thoughts...a wierd 2 bikes to compare but those are my current choices if i sell the Superhawk
Old 09-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Squid

TomTen is on a distinguished road
Sportbike or a touring. I would go with the RC51 much cooler and fun bike.
Put i like this a RC51 makes you look like this on a vfr you look like this
I like the feeling of horns poking the inside of my helmet.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Have to know a lot more. to even make a guess,, and still at that point,, it's our guess on what we would want.

Ask your self.
How are you going to ride the bike?
Where?
All weather?
Trips? If so, long distance (multi day) short dist
How do you feel when riding in an aggressive position? Sore? tired

Answer those kind of questions honestly, and I think you'll be able to decide on a bike.

Personally, I'd buy/ride the RC51, But for me, street bikes are toys, not transportation.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Keep the Superhawk you're selling, and buy a VFR. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
As your only bike, you should pick the VFR. If you're adding to the stable then the RC51.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:04 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
It you have to ride an hour or so to get to the good roads, or if your into sport touring, then the VFR is a better choice.

My pal, who has 2 RC51s (1 street & 1 track) and a couple other bikes (sigh) says it's a torture rack for distances. Heard the same from others. 'Course there's always Heli-bars, or some such.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:34 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

VFR is more practical, do some research on the insurance cost for both bikes..
Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Squid

daedalusfalling
Shoot, I'd get a fifth generation VFR and lop off the linked brakes, but that's just me. I'm a sucker for the old cam gears and non VTEC technology.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Only because I do more track days then long rides, I'd get the RC.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I would get the RC because it's a twin. I got rid of my old twin and really missed it. Now I have no complaints.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
VFR...pre VTEC VFR..
Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

Shmittay
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
As your only bike, you should pick the VFR. If you're adding to the stable then the RC51.
I agree with this statement.

I love both bikes, but my friend used to have an RC and he said for a daily rider it was terrible in stop and go traffic because of the heat from the radiators.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SillyHawk
Hey if you had a choice between a 2005 RC51 and a 2005 VFR800(actually i think the 2006 has that sweet matte black so maybe that one) which would you go with? all things and possible aspects considered.

I am slightly torn based on gas range and comfort which leans me towards the VFR. then again the fun factor, power and sound of the twin leans me back to the RC51

anyway, lend me your thoughts...a wierd 2 bikes to compare but those are my current choices if i sell the Superhawk
The RC51 is a blast to ride and I 'have' put some serious miles on one. I currently own a 5th generation VFR, two SuperHawks, and a Hawk GT. Personally I'd bag the idea of sport touring on an RC51. It has the range of the SuperHawk with gobs more power. I personally Prefer to do my sport touring on my '99 VFR. The cam gear noise and the TBR full system and 110rwhp as mine sits mapped and dynoed does it for me. The bike is a little heavy for the power it produces but I can make it fly. The fuel range is upwards of 250mi. per tank also. The VTR's are competant sport/tourers the only downside being the fuel range. The Hawk GT on the other hand if kitted properly is just plain fun and can blow by squids on twisty roads before they realize they were just dusted by a 50hp antique and the antique piloting it. Probably your best bang for your buck as far as versatility goes and the right mix of sport and touring is the VFR but I prefer the pre VTEC models.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
i used to have a 95 VFR750 up until i bought the superhawk and i DO miss the fuel range! i always wanted to get a new Interceptor but i dont know much about the VTEC and why people seem to dislike it. the VFR is still a top rated bike year after year
Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SillyHawk
i used to have a 95 VFR750 up until i bought the superhawk and i DO miss the fuel range! i always wanted to get a new Interceptor but i dont know much about the VTEC and why people seem to dislike it. the VFR is still a top rated bike year after year
The VTEC seemed to get the reputation of being glitchy in it's power delivery. You also loose that cool gear drive sound from the cam drive gears. My '99 sounds like an angry little car at idle. My buddy with the RC51 wanted to trade me even up his RC for my VFR. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Too many advantages to the VFR. The other thing with the 5th gen. VFR's is that the linked brake system actually works pretty well. It's a similair system to the Blackbird but sorted. I believe ABS was also optional on the Y2K and newer VFR's. That would include the last two tears of the 5th gen and all the VTEC years or 6th gen. FYI all VFR's '98 and newer are fuel injected for anyone who doesn't already know this.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
Every now and then I think the gas( bad pun alert) might be greener on the other side of the clip ons so I swapped out for Speigler risers and handle bars which are way cool for some kinds of riding but I miss the clip ons other days. All in all, I want a 51( or a really cheap but well cared for 916 Ducati with low miles and no track days) and a VTR set like my current one, i.e., Spieglers and a little suspension work. Oh, I forgot, and Suzuki dr 650. And...
Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Squid

omniouslink is on a distinguished road
Take the RC51. If you want a V4 go get an old V65 magna sabre, or an old VFR1000. RC51's are incredable! I wouldent trade my 996 hawk for one, due to comfort but damn if I would love to have one. my friend has one that I have ridden a bunch and its ruff on the wrists but thats the last thing on my mind when ridding.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Well SillyHawk I was in the EXACT same scenario with you. I, however, have had a VTEC, along with 3 VF's and 2 VFR's over the years, but never an RC so I really wanted one of those next. My plan would be to try "tame" it down for better distance riding manners and leave the rest alone.

But.... whenever I would look around on the market, my searches would typically end up looking a VFR's again. You know where this is going!

Meet Mr. VTEC part deux. Another "unwanted" stray has found it's way into my garage. Needs a tank and some other bits to be perfect again.

:-) :-)