General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I will soon own a Superhawk...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Squid

don flamingo is on a distinguished road
I will soon own a Superhawk...

but I have a few to choose from

Around my area, I've seen ads anywhere from $3500-$2500. Mileage varies from 34,000 to 11,000.

Is there anything I should make sure to take a good look at? This is going to be my 1st non-Harley bike (1st was a Blast, then S1 Lightning and now a Sporty) and I guess you can call me a V-Twin addict. Maybe its the exhaust note or the fact I'm afraid I'd kill myself on a I4, who knows!

A few of them have stock seats and others have corbins. Any thoughts on comfort, seat postions/heights between the 2?

Any helpful tips you folks can give me when I test ride least 2 them this weekend would be great!

Much appreciated!

don flamingo aka "O"
Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Start with the low mileage ones first.

Any aftermarket seat is better than the stock one.
Check to see if the stock CCTs have been replaced with the manual ones.
Resprung forks, Ohlins rear shock (or F4) shock are a plus.
Check for newer regulator/rectifier ('02 and above will have finned version)

I'm sure others will add to this list but beyond these bike specific things, just a general look over like any other bike.

Last edited by RWhisen; 09-01-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Carburettor adjustment problems are usually apparent at idle and in the 3500 to 4000 rpm range. Pilot jets especially can get clogged resulting in a poor idle. A number of owners have encountered problems in the 3500 to 4000 rpm range after slip-ons, jet kits and aftermarket air filters have been installed.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Carb adjustments and cleaning are not a show stopper. Could be a negotiating point though!

Start the motorcycle, let it warm then run the RPMs up to 2500 then slowly increase them. If it hangs in the 2500-3000 RPM range you probably have some dirty pilot jets. Could be a total carb disassembly or could be running some Sea-Foam through it. Either way, it will take you a little time to get it cleared up and shouldn't be a big deal.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
These guys have you covered.

I came across from a M2 last year. The Buell was a lot of fun. The VTR is a lot more serious, for better and for worse. It's probably about two times as fast as my Cyclone was, much more Ducati than HD, but it still has that down low pull that makes it very easy for the street.

If you've owned a S1, the stock seat will seem like a sofa to you, but Corbins are nice. The M2's seat was like two times the size of the S1's... I just can't even imagine.

I'd check this forum before buying elsewhere if you're serious. There are at least three bikes I've seen here lately going for much less than I'd imagine. And the nice thing about buying from a forum is that you can usually research the bike using the SEARCH, as one buyer recently learned

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Squid

Rockysv is on a distinguished road
I found a 99 with 7500 miles - very clean-
i would not get a high mile bike - look around - take your time -- look for an all stock bike -- then you can do the mods - i find my stock bike is plenty fast , and it is quiet
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Check fluids for color and level. A bike with only 11,000 miles is not a good deal if the oil has only been changed once, or less. Check condition of the chain and tires. Since you've owned bikes before, you're probably already aware of all this, but just a heads up. A low milage bike will most likely need a good carb cleaning, unless it's been done recently. The stock pilots jets are tiny and clog easily.

Good luck, and have fun shopping. As you've probably observed, another new member just got a screaming good deal on a SuperHawk with lots of very nice add-on bits.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 AM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Watch out, because you will never want another hardley product again.