11.04%
Scorpion
15.01%
Shark
3.75%
Z1R
2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Which brand(s) of helmet do you own (or used to own)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Which brand(s) of helmet do you own (or used to own)?

As the title states. Just curious to see the spread. Yes, you can vote more than once. It's not necessary to vote three times for Shoei if you have three Shoei helmets. :-P

Please, no helmet-brand bashing.

And I wasn't able to include all manufacturers (such as AFX, Bell, M2R, Bieffe, etc). If you have one of the unlisted, please list it in the thread. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:10 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Been wearing a KBC VR1 for 3 years now.

Bought it because it was a good value & the lining was not that fuzzy hot stuff... and I still love the graphics.

As you can see, it's been crash tested.

May get an OGK or Scorpion next time around. If i could afford to put more bucks into a helmet though, I'd go for a Troy Bayliss or James Toseland Suomy... just because I like the look of 'em.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Pic
Old 02-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
The OGK helmets have always tempted me. I love the style and curves of their helmets. I'm a bit wary of the sizing, though. And with so many choices in the field, I'd rather stick to one that I know I love (ok, two), than risk trying something out and finding out I can't stand it.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm on my second HJC.... AC-11 model.... pretty nice helmet, it has both Snell and Dot approvals, and the price is pretty reasonable... I got the "creature" scheme and I think it was 160 plus shipping, plain/solid schemes are cheaper. The HJC's would be better if you could remove the liners to clean, and had some of the latest and greatest features you find on the high end lids.... but for the price, after it gets dirty enough after a couple seasons, buy another....

J.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I have a shoei, but it's about to go to helmet heaven. It's been a great helmet
but it's getting old. My next helmet is going to be the nolan n102 n-con. I hear great thing about it.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I consider myself fortunate in that my oddball headshape fits in an AGV. Me and Rossi, heh, heh. Seriously, I don't choose my helmets or gear, or obviously my bike, on what anybody gets paid to wear. I digress; I'm on my third AGV. I retired my Pacific after two years of daily use since I'm a mechanic and there's no way to keep a helmet clean when you get as dirty as I do. I now use a Flyer for normal use and a Ti-Tech when I'm serious. Great helmets if they fit you. And interchangable faceshields between models is handy. Oh, they are loud due to venting but have adjustable hinges to allow tight fitment of the shield.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Current brain buckets = Scorpion and HJC.

Previous = Shoei, Arai
Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Current Arai! "you get what yo pay for" Future Arai
Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Currently Arai but time to renew it this year. After reading the huge helmet study in motorcyclist last year I have been rethinking my objectives and criteria for my next helmet purchase however: used to be I required Snell approval, but now I'm not as sure.

bill
Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a KBC and one of these

Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Squid

Ogre8472 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Aria has always been my lid of choice. I bought the KBC for a backup in case someone wants to tag along. Aria seems to fit my head the best....
Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cliby
Currently Arai but time to renew it this year. After reading the huge helmet study in motorcyclist last year I have been rethinking my objectives and criteria for my next helmet purchase however: used to be I required Snell approval, but now I'm not as sure.

bill
Have an Arai - but next helmet will be a Scorpion EXO-700 - rated very high. U can't get a better helmet for the $
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned lots of brands in the past ranging from Bell, Simpson, Bieffe, Shoei, Arai, Hjc, Kbc and even a Fulmer dirt helmet. Owned 2 KBC's and they weren't bad the vr2 held up well in a crash and the vr7 wasn't quite as nice but did fine in the gravel pit. I just bought a Shoei RF1000 and have owned a 700 before that and a quantum Arai. The biggest difference in helmets IMO is what the liners made of the vents and the way they fit. As far as the Motorcyclist article, I'm not 100% sold on that but the EX0-700 scored poorly on it. BTW you can get that helmet for $149 delivered in a few places.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
+1 for Bieffe
Old 02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
They all have EPS (styrofoam) liners. As far as I can tell styrofoam is styrofoam, so when people say that one helmet is better than another I guess it helps them justify their purchase decision. I strongly agree with the conclusions of the Motorcyclist article.
I have always liked the various Shoei helmets I have had. They fit me well and I like the shield mechanism.
I have an Arai that also fits well, but I REALLY dislike the shield mechanism and all the trim is falling off. Replacement shields are ridiculously expensive compared to other brands. I probably won't buy another.
I just bought an HJC, but I haven't worn it enough to say whether I like it or not. It fits well and I like the shield mechanism (I think it's a Shoei copy), which is a good start. The price was right.
They all seem noisy to me, so I wear earplugs.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by killer5280
1.They all have EPS (styrofoam) liners. As far as I can tell styrofoam is styrofoam, so when people say that one helmet is better than another I guess it helps them justify their purchase decision. 2.I strongly agree with the conclusions of the Motorcyclist article.
I have always liked the various Shoei helmets I have had. They fit me well and I like the shield mechanism.
I have an Arai that also fits well, but I REALLY dislike the shield mechanism and all the trim is falling off. Replacement shields are ridiculously expensive compared to other brands. I probably won't buy another.
I just bought an HJC, but I haven't worn it enough to say whether I like it or not. It fits well and I like the shield mechanism (I think it's a Shoei copy), which is a good start. The price was right.
They all seem noisy to me, so I wear earplugs.
1.That statement is true but only to a certain extent, some inner shells,(not liner, liner is the inside material that touches your skin and hair),are made of a one piece EPS shell, while others are 2 or 3 piece, some are also different densities. 2.If it was true that DOT helmets were just as good or better than Snell helmets why were certain DOT HJC helmets banned at Loudon after seveal deaths wearing the helmets? Like I said before I'm not ready to take either side of that article but at faster speeds I would stick to Snell or BSE or the new Euro standards. DOT gets one helmet from the manufacture and puts it through thier test and all of them pass where Snell has many helmets,(I believe it's at least 10),random helmet from stores and they ALL have to pass to get certified. You're right about the shield on the Arai's though, what are those made of gold or something? Not to mention they're a PITA to change.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I bought two of the CL-14 Kast HJC helmets for myself and my wife, They are very comfy, though mine seems a little loose when up to speed, and noisy, but I always wear plugs so no big deal....I may buy a new one this year, plan to shop around and find something that fits good...period...Not concerned with the brand, long as it is Snell/Dot/ who ever else is in on it...lol
Old 02-11-2007, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

Make sure it fits a little snug because the liner will mold to your head and losen up a little bit. I like to have mine more snug then some people do but I don't like it to lift a high speed, I like it as tight as it can get without hurting. Please insert joke here.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

a little spit does the trick,,er um,,,,yeah I like it tight also..er back on topic...we're being watched....
Old 02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Superstock

Fond recollections of the birth canal, eh 22? Our inner animals love to feel secure. AGV helmets, which I wear, have two size scales. One for street and another one for track. I wear a ML street helmet comfortably and their L track helmet is a slightly tighter fit. I mean my Ti-Tech feels great, no discomfort even on extended rides but doesn't move around. Jeez, when I think about it I've got it pretty good: perfect bike, perfect bucket.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

Yeah I guess I like that warm and secure feeling! I love the Ti-Tech but it's a little out of my price range, I was seriously thinking of getting an XR-2 but found a deal I couldn't pass up on the RF-1000.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Superstock

Yeah, the RF is nice and if I hadn't tried an AGV I would've thought it didn't get any better than that.
Ebay is my friend. Found my brand new Ti-Tech Industriale for $300 buy it now. Thought about it for 3-4 minutes and pressed that button. Took a while for the boss to get over it but WTF!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

Nice price for that lid, EBay is my friend too I got the RF Nerve for $199!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Superstock

Excellent!! Now I've just got to get that 'great deal' on some slip-ons.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM
MotoGP

Just saw a set of 2bros CF go for $273 today.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Superstock

Yeah, I bid $260 on them without asking permission. they had some rash though. I have a yellow 'Hawk and want black mufflers. I'll keep looking on Ebay and for closeouts, etc. Ya'll give a holler if'n ya'll see anything!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Just saw a set of 2bros CF go for $273 today.
Nice,....sure post up once there gone...already sold...that 's looking out for your fellow Hawkers....lol
Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

What, you think I was watching for the fun of it!?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
What, you think I was watching for the fun of it!?
Your right, that's what we have Marm for....unless you goes to the dark side with that duc...lol...I am jealous...I really want the new 1098...gotta sell more crap to afford that one...

Anyone Need a watch??? LOL...

Quick Reply: Which brand(s) of helmet do you own (or used to own)?