General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I Finally Belong!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
I Finally Belong!!

Well its been a long and tedious road, but I was finally able to get my SHawk built up with an engine that works and got to take her out for the first real spin today! Just to let yall know, here is a quick play by play of the bike's rebuild:

Buy bike for a good price knowing its pretty much a guarantee that I will need a new motor. Had 17000 miles, spun bearing, new front tire, Dual Yoshi cans and plenty of nicks and scratches!

Begin first complete tear down.

Find out the reason old motor is bad:
Name:  DSC01702.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  83.2 KB

Clean her all up and figure Id put it back together as-is just to "check and see" how its running:

Goes from this:
Name:  DSC01704.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  152.9 KB

To this in about a day:
Name:  DSC01736.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  147.3 KB

Engine issues still very much apparent, though she does fire right up... showing some promise. I decided to ride her to my mechanic to see what he says, ended up dying on the side of the road and had to hang onto my roomate's jeep to get towed back home!

Tear her down to the bare bones again.

FINALLY (ok maybe just ~2 months) get in a new engine!
Name:  DSC01775.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  150.6 KB

Work all damn day again, much to the gf's displeasure, turn bare bones into:
Name:  DSC01780.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  133.4 KB

AND I COULDN'T FIND THE DAMN SIDE STAND!!! Took her for her first ride all back together and to get some good gas into her.

Finally find the side stand and tighten up a couple of things I must have overlooked the first time through and here she is!

Name:  DSC01783.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  154.6 KB

Now all I gotta do is replace the sprocket, chain and adjust the throttle cables remake the seat with more padding and she'll be good to go!!

Not bad for the amount of money I put into her! Cant quite say that about the amount of time though, like I said, its been a long and tedious process!!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Well done! I know you've worked hard on this 'cause I've seen your engine ads on every Craig's List in every major city in Texas! Looks like you've done a good job of you mechanic's duties now it's time to ride! Do a couple shake-down runs but stay close to the house. When everything checks out - go through and recheck the tightness of everything you had apart. It's a damn good thing people can't see inside our helmets! When you smile in a full-face you look like a prune
Old 03-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
Good job! I had 1 decent day of riding here in CT.. Now we are under almost 7 inches of snow.. Again. But Im guessin puting the mirrors and front turn signals back on are part of your plans also!?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Squid

But Im guessin puting the mirrors and front turn signals back on are part of your plans also!?
Hahaha yea, good eye!! There is a left R6 mirror on there, just cant quite see it in the pics. The right one is in Austin with my sister, I hope to pick that one up here pretty soon to complete the bike.

The thing with the blinkers though, the original ones were kinda thrashed so I tried hooking up some CBR blinkers. They turn on and end up running while the bike is on, but they wont blink. Something is wired wrong so i was going to do some searching and try and find the culprit. Although, in the rear off of the main wiring harness, there seems to be some sort of electrical plug that has nothing to go into it. I think its a ground, but I could be wrong.

I was really just glad to get her back together and actually take her for a ride. Man does she lean more than my Bandit!! Took her out of town on the back roads as not to draw any attention to myself then let her rip on a few Farmers Market roads!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
could it be in need of a blinker relay? it goes towards the back of the harness and could cause the problem you described.

sharp bike man, course i may be prejudice, mines black too.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:04 AM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Very nice! Way to get her all back together. Projects are fun.. when you have time.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
great job man!! looks like you lost the front fender too!!!! looks good enjoy
Old 03-17-2007, 07:42 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sprhawk neil
great job man!! looks like you lost the front fender too!!!! looks good enjoy
Oh well, while we're piling it on: a license plate would be good too!

Great job. All the hard work seems well worth it after that first real good run, don't it?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Squid

Front fender is hanging up on my wall as we speak. Its just that it had the same type of fairing stay bolts that the rest of my fairing was missing so I had to borrow a few from there. But Ill get the fender back on after I do my other tune ups. There is also a license plate installed, I just had the rear trimmed up pretty high and you cant really see it, no need to anyways, its not a legal plate yet. I have a gold rim on the rear right now because I was able to find a good deal on that rim and tire combo +shipping for less than 1/4 the price of a new rear tire!! But I do have the black rear rim in my garage, just waiting to be put back on with a good tire. If you guys would like to follow the rebuild process or just check to see what your bike looks like torn down to bare bones, check out my photo page:

Clicky
Old 03-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Looks great! Did you ever find out what that **** was in the pickup?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Squid

Did you ever find out what that **** was in the pickup?
To me it just looked like negligence to the poor thing! Nah my best guess is that somehow, the previous owner was able to smash an oil filter and the guts just exploded where they then got caught on that screen. Which then leads me to believe that the bike then starved for oil and caused all the damage. Thats my theory anyways. So now I have plenty of spare parts to tinker with!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Well done mate, hope you enjoy riding it!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
bike looks good