General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Finally Picked My Bike Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Squid

bluedog66 is on a distinguished road
Finally Picked My Bike Up

2003, blue, 2400 miles, jardine high mounts, $4900. Sadly, no plates till monday but I rode it home and it is just incredible the way the power band on these bikes is... Gas it and feel it keep on pulling, next thing I know the speed limit has been passed and I am

I will try to get photos up tonight if possible, if not I will do some cool shots tomorrow. Anyways, happy to finally be an owner...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the great buy. Good mileage and good price! Now paint it red!

Seriously though you really have to watch too things on a Superhawk. One is the gas gauge and the other is cops! I got stopped a while back and it's sooo easy to do.

Everybody likes pictures and really, blue is one of my favorite colors on the Superhawk. Does yours have the black wheels or gold ones?

And BTW
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Squid

Black, gold wheels eh? Could be an interesting combo...
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
congrats on your purchase, BUT j/k man enjoy!!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Squid

Name:  SuperIMG_0960.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  SuperIMG_0961.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  80.5 KB

Eh, I believe blue doesnt photograph well.... Color looks so much better in person.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:27 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
those turn signals have got to go dude. Great looking bike otherwise. Congrats
Old 03-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Squid

Yea, no kidding. do those lockhart philips, the kinda four sided sorta boxy flush mounts fit nicely? like, cover the hole all the way and seal with the fairing?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
They do kinda look like **** on a fish don't they? Nice looking bike though! High mounts make it look real sharp from the back. Happy trails!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You want these. I believe they're LP type 4's but don't quote me on it. There's a good frontal pic too showing how flush they really are. They require some minor modification to install but they conform to the fairing well and after the aforementioned modification they fit between the inner and outer fairings. Lemme know if you want the step-by-step to make them fit. Oh, and make sure you get the 3-wire for the front so you have running lights.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Back Marker

Darkone22 is on a distinguished road
grats on the bike. Looks nice. all it needs now is some red paint we all know red is faster .
Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Squid

GrayHawk is on a distinguished road
Congrats bluedogg! I'll be joining you guys Monday when I pick up mine! Hawkrider, would you mind posting the step-by-step in the install? The signals look great!
Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 AM
RAM
Squid

RAM is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

nice !! i know how you feel, starting to collect parts for my new hawk
Old 03-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by GrayHawk
Congrats bluedogg! I'll be joining you guys Monday when I pick up mine! Hawkrider, would you mind posting the step-by-step in the install? The signals look great!
Sure. First, the problem: The signals are too deep to fit between the inner and outer fairings.

Now, the fix: What you need to do is cut about 1/2" off the threaded portion of the back of the housing. You want to keep enough so that the big plastic nut can still grab ahold and be tightened down. Now, the metal housing that holds the light bulb has spring clips on it's circumference. In order for it to stay secure it needs an inner lip to grab. Since you just cut the inner lip off you now need to make a new one. I used one of the wife's OLD baking pans, heated it on the stove on med-high and then just pressed the signal onto it. This will melt the end and make you an inner lip. It also makes an outer lip which needs to be sanded off. That's the mod.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Squid

I think I need to go ahead and disable the pair valve since I am getting that popping on decel. If the pair valve usually let gas in the exhaust combust, what will now happen to that gas that makes it through?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Squid

Lol, well, thats done and it fixed the popping. However, sadly I am not the most cautious person in the world and managed to give myself a nice burn on one of the pipes after firing it up...
Old 03-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Nice Ride! Blue is the way to go my friend. Like the pipes too!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Squid

hawkrider, any flush mounts or other better looking than stock signals made that dont require modifying it yourself? it was kind of hard to understand what you were saying to do on that signal, melting it to make lips and stuff like that...
Old 03-19-2007, 03:03 AM
Squid

GrayHawk is on a distinguished road
I found the MOTRAX Micro Flush Mount Turn Signals on the Cycle Gear web site for 15.99 pair. Does anyone know if these might be easier to install? Do they match up with the existing hole left from the original flashers?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:29 AM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Congrats ! Great price on a great bike , Now go get those plates and really enjoy it !
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator
World Champion

I don't think the Motrax's are big enough.

What I was saying about the LPs is that the part behind the lens is too long to fit between the inner and outer fairings. Thus, you must modify them to make them fit. It's not hard. It takes maybe 5 minutes per side to do the mods. Maybe I'll take a pic if I have an extra laying around.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Squid

ah, i think i know what you are talking about. and i just got a chance to go canyon riding on it today... and also, it may not be a gsx-r 1000 or something like that, but, this thing is wicked fast....
Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Squid

i think they may have changed the design on the signals? if i cut off a half inch the bulb would be pressing on the inside of the lense and have no where to go. also no spring clips on the one I have. was yours pretty much their biggest option in that style?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Squid

nevermind, ones i got were way to big. returned them and found ones you were talking about. should look nice.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Okay, I found an old modified set in the garage and I have some pics now in case there was any confusion. The first pic has all three parts of the signals - lens/body, plastic nut, & bulb housing. The lens/body is cut and then you can see the lip I made by melting the end on a flat surface. I could've cleaned the edges on this one up more but for some reason didn't. Either way I think it shows pretty well what I did.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Squid

Name:  superhawk.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  69.4 KB

done wasnt too bad to get done, and for future reference an old pie plate works just as well as an old frying pan.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator
World Champion

They look nice!

That's what I used was a 9" round cake pan...."baking pan".
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Squid

I guess I am slightly concerned about their visibility but oh well... So, now onto the rear tail and maybe some other stuff... If I replace the front fork springs will I notice enough of a difference without the race tech valves or do the two go hand in hand?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Originally Posted by bluedog66
I guess I am slightly concerned about their visibility but oh well...
Hey, if they're always behind you who is there to see the front signals?

Originally Posted by bluedog66
So, now onto the rear tail and maybe some other stuff... If I replace the front fork springs will I notice enough of a difference without the race tech valves or do the two go hand in hand?
Ah, my favorite topic: Suspension! Depends how much you weigh. If you have to go with a much stronger spring then you will need a revalve. I'd say up to about .8 kg/mm the stock valving can control the springs. Beyond that you will need a heavier rebound stack and a lighter compression stack to control the spring. A lighter weight oil for these forks also works well since the valves have relatively small orifices.

Racetech makes some okay stuff. I have their compression valves in my forks, but if I knew then what I know now then I would have stayed away from them. I can do as good or better job with the stock valves....though I did venture out a little with Nuhawk's forks and we used a GSXR600 valve.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Squid

Looks like I would need their .95 kg springs.... So you can modify the stock valves is what you are saying? I will see how I feel about the springs after I go for another ride tomorrow and hopefully do some more twisties.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Bluedog,
Which model Lockharts were these? And, did you buy 2 or 3-wire models?
Thanks for helping close the loop on this mod.

Quick Reply: Finally Picked My Bike Up