General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How would you classify the SH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
BHW
Squid

BHW is on a distinguished road
How would you classify the SH?

I'm in the market for another bike. I'd like ot hear from some SuperHawk owners, about how they would "label" this bike:

Would you say its....

1) a pure sportbike, no long haul trips, too uncomfortable, etc...

2) all arounder, similar to the VFR800.....makes a good sport-tourer...

3) other....explain.

Also, what about ergonomics? I know Honda tries to make bikes comfortable for a wide range of riders. How is the Hawk for taller riders....6ft and +? About the most similar thing I've ridden recently is a Suzuki TL1000R.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
I am going to go with group 2. By some means the SH is a sport bike, but when I am thinking sportbike a GSXR-1000 comes to mind. The SH fits the class of a Sport Tourer, with its capability to go on longer hauls (except gas wise) and ability to carry other passengers with comfort and ease. The power is perfect for it too. The SH may not keep up with every bike, but it is a great overall bike!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
How about. . .

3) Ultimate street bike, great track bike (with minor mods), and good at making loud, beautiful noises, accelerating, and cramping your hands.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Squid
Squid

Vincent
Somewhere between 1 & 2....I spent 6 hours in the saddle last weekend and I was sure as hell ready to get off when I arrived. My bike was completely stock for that ride. It has much sportier ergonomics than a VFR. But hey, its more important to me to watch my buddies VFR fade into the distance as I pull away from him than it is to be comfy on long distance rides(I rarely ride longer than last weeks trip). I am 6'2" and the worst thing was the pain in the back of my knees. I bet adjustable rearsets would help enormously, ooh and a sargent seat! But after the exhaust I just got, no more mods for a while! Need $$ for vacation!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Squid

seattlesucks
I'm 6'6"... I love it.

The superhawk can do anything with a couple of mods. That's why it's such an awesome bike. Stock it's not that great, but 1 or 2 little things and oh my god...
Old 08-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
it is a pre R1 sportbike. Sportbikes designed in the mid 90s were comfortable and fast, but after 1998 when the R1 came out, the bikes have started getting progressively more racy.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 PM
BHW
Squid

I'm asking because the VTR1000 is on my short list of bikes to consider. I like the v-twin sportbikes. I've spent some time on a TL1000R, and I like it. It wasn't nearly as cramped as I expected. But I'd probaly lean more towards the Tl1000S version instead. I like the VFR750/800, but I'm afraid it's too small and underpowered. I don't plan on doing any racing, or 1000 mile days. But I'd like ot be able to ride all day if I wanted to. The dragon is about 7 hours from my house. The bike I'm riding now only goes 115 or so on a tank, so I'm used to taking gas breaks every 2 hours or less...fine by me, I'm ready to stretch by then. I'd like to commute on the bike often too....but my commute is 15 miles...so not really an issue. I just don't want GSXR750 ergonomics....but I doubt the Hawk is that extreme. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Squid

njrider is on a distinguished road
All-rounder. I have a 98. Bike is great for Sunday rides, sport-touring, and track days. Corbin seat made huge difference to comfort-level on longer rides. Just completed an 8-day 2700+ mile trip round the Great Lakes complete with bags and camping gear. Add pipes and enjoy the music!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Vincent
Somewhere between 1 & 2....I spent 6 hours in the saddle last weekend and I was sure as hell ready to get off when I arrived. My bike was completely stock for that ride. It has much sportier ergonomics than a VFR. But hey, its more important to me to watch my buddies VFR fade into the distance as I pull away from him than it is to be comfy on long distance rides(I rarely ride longer than last weeks trip). I am 6'2" and the worst thing was the pain in the back of my knees. I bet adjustable rearsets would help enormously, ooh and a sargent seat! But after the exhaust I just got, no more mods for a while! Need $$ for vacation!
Vincent,

Get a Sargent and do some stretches. I'm 6' 2.5" and I've rarely had any knee problems. The VTR is like an ST1100 compared to my 1000RR. Bar angle could be modified though.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jake D
How about. . .

3) Ultimate street bike, great track bike (with minor mods), and good at making loud, beautiful noises, accelerating, and cramping your hands.

Great track bike....you mean fun track days not overly serious ones right?? Minor mods? Suspension, gearing, fairings, tires? can a Superhawk with minor mods really match up against other bikes like CBR's or RC51?
Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
The TL1000R is a lot faster than the Superhawk. The ergonomics on the Superhawk are not anything like the GSXR which is what the TL1000R is like. The Superhawk sounds better than the TL1000R in my opinion but it gives up about 30 hp to it. The Superhawk is not near the stretch to the bars that the TL1000R is.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:08 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SillyHawk
Great track bike....you mean fun track days not overly serious ones right?? Minor mods? Suspension, gearing, fairings, tires? can a Superhawk with minor mods really match up against other bikes like CBR's or RC51?
Depends on the group you're in and the riders you're up againts. I routinely pass those bikes on the track in intermediate but with a better rider I've been shredded by guys on R6's. The track is more about rider ability then bike.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Squid

mikeshawk996 is on a distinguished road
Bike defies categorization. I love my SH and have been to the track, 800 mile weekends and sunday trips in the canyons. I do not think the SH is well suited for long weekends. Range is not good and position makes the wrists scream at any speed below 80. At the track and in the canyons, it is a solid performer. Really, you can't beat the power curve, the sound and the purity of a carbureted big bore twin now can you!
Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
BHW
Squid

So a TL1000R is 30hp more powerful than the Superhawk? That's pretty drastic....although I'm more used to torque than HP right now. I'm currently riding a Yamaha Road Star Warrior...about 80hp and 100 torque.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I find my friend's TL-R very comfortable, and nothing like a GSX-R. If the TL was a just a little too racy for you, you'd like the SHawk. Although, the seat is way more plush on a TL, so that and/or bars might be your first upgrades.

Besides that, the bike is great as is; and mods only make it better. Torque and twisties... mmmmmmm.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Squid

someonehappy
It should be somewhere between 1 and 2,but not exactly.I don't think it's always more comfortable than pure sportbikes, especially on bumpy roads. The suspension is not compliant enough and the seat is too slippy. I have upgraded the suspension and raised handle bars, now I consider it as a powerful tourer.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
I'm 5'7" and a lot heavier than I'd like to be. That being said I think the seat is pretty good, the reach to the bars is good, the leg room is good and the fun this bike produces is great.:-D

That being said, yes I'd like to redo my front fork setup, VFR bars, and a Sargent Seat to go with my ZG touring screen. But I'm just being selfish and greedy. I could probably easily live without all of these things but reading the posts from all the freaks on this forum is intoxicating!!!
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
It's a sportbike. It was Honda's first attempt at a Ducati 916 competitor.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SillyHawk
Yep. Track days. But I know guys that have used them in Super Twin Class for racing.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Clearly a sportbike. Not bad on long rides, but I'm sure it's no VFR, either.

Only been 2 the track a few times, but it's fun buzzing RC51s with it! That said, a lot of it's down to skill. A decent rider on an RC51 would never be passed by me.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:10 PM
BHW
Squid

Saw an older side by side comparison with a Superhawk and a TL1000S. The Suzuki reportedly had 114 rwhp, the Honda hit 104. Nowhere near the 30hp difference suggested here earlier. The Suzuki was favored as a more "racey" bike in that story...this was before the TL1000R had been debuted. I thought it was an interesting read.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:27 AM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Boy these answers are all over the place... Bet you didn't expect that (scarcasism warning )

Maybe this will help.... Motorcyclist Mag, August 2003
The Superhawk is selected, along with the Ducati 916, as the best used bikes in the Sport Twin class.

"Too sensible for hard-nosed sport riders and lacking range for real sport-touring, the VTR is another Honda that never quite found its niche. That's good news for used-bike byers. The DOHC V-twin is a gem, a character-rich 996cc motor with gobs of torque, and the ergo package is near perfect for Sunday-morning sorties. Criticisms include lackluster brakes -- corrected with stainless lines and decent pads -- and a 125-mile touring range. But how often do you get out for more than 125 miles on Sunday morning anyway? $4500 buys you a lot of wheelies and a lot of Honda reliability. Or, if you got extra bones laying around, .... [talks about buying left over VTRs]

The TL1000s, Aprilia Falco, Aprilia Mille and BMW R1100S were honorable mentions.

The typos are all mine...