General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How Would You Rate the 01' Superhawk for a 1st Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Squid

endless is on a distinguished road
How Would You Rate the 01' Superhawk for a 1st Bike?

I am a novice rider and am currently considering a purchase of an 01' Superhawk as my first bike. Would this be a commitment to suicide or would I actually survive long enough to fully enjoy the many qualities of this bike? What are some things I could do to keep myself as safe as possible on a 1000cc bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Its a great bike even for a beginer. Very easy to handle. Just don't do stupid things. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Squid

SD996 is on a distinguished road
Depending on your height / weight and if you have any experience on two wheels, a hawk could be a great first bike. I personally don't recomend getting on ANY street bike until you have at least spent some time in the dirt. You'll learn so much on a dirt bike that will carry over to the street. Basicly, you'll develop your instincts. With that said, a super hawk is a great handling and very reliable bike. It's comfortable too. They have plenty of ***** but nothing like a 4cyl 1000cc bike. The new 600cc 4cyl bikes (CBR, GSXR, R6, etc) are probably faster than a hawk. Don't be intimidated by the 996 tag. The hawk is a super sport which makes it a great street bike. The others I mentioned are track bikes. Good luck and Be safe!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Just out of curiousity... do you mean first bike ever... as in no prior riding experience and still learning to ride?

If so, I might think of getting something smaller and less powerful as a first ride. (And that doesn't mean R6 or 600RR) Personally if anyone I'm friends with was gonna start riding I'd suggest an old FZR early 90's, maybe and early model Katana 600 if they had to have a "sportbike" just to get used to riding. Otherwise something with a little less crouched over riding position might be a good choice as well (think old Honda CB's) as you'll learn riding technics a bit easier. Any of those bikes will have plenty of power for a beginner / first time rider... they are cheap, if you dump it, knock it over, it breaks, no biggy... and once your confident with it, you can sell it and get the bike you really want.

Just my opinion...

J.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
The hawk's got a LOT of low and mid-range torque and useable power, maybe a bit much for a first bike.

If you have a thing for slightly strange bikes and want a great beginner, I'd suggest looking into an SV650/S or a Kawi EX500. I know neither are Hondas but they both have great track records, and the SV is obviously a twin, where the EX500 is a parallel twin. They both have similar powerbands to the superhawk too so it'd be an easier jump over.

I had an EX500 and I can vouch that it's funner than you'd expect for having literally half the power of the hawk (54 hp, 38 ft lbs, 498cc parallel twin) and it's super easy to ride. The SV650 is a step up from there, making like 80-something horsepower and parts for them are EVERYWHERE.

I think 110 bhp and 70 ft lbs is a bit much for a starter bike, even with the hawk's stock anemic sprockets.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:37 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
describe what you mean by novice: total and most recent motorcycle experience and we can give you a better idea.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
I got an 05 superhawk as my first bike. The best thing you can do is take a MSC class. My buddy gave me alot of crap about getting a 1000cc bike as a first bike. As long as you respect it it will be good to you. A better fist bike than a 600cc supersport that you have to rev to the sky to stay in its powerband and they can really get away from you. How old are you? I was 31 when I got the fever to start riding.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
My hawk is the first bike I've owned. I took the MSF course first and had a little experience on some old FZRs too, but not much. I think I could have been a little more conservative in my choice of a first bike but 2 years later I have to say that everything worked out well and I've got no regrets at all. If you're a responsible person who thinks about things before acting, I think you'll be fine. The smooth power delivery and stable manners will help a lot.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
I agree with Falcondrvr. And to add to what he said you dont have to shift very much It will pull third from a dead stop ( forgot to shift down).
Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I think you should buy whatever bike you want to own. If you're just learing it really doesn't matter. People disagree with me, but I think you can learn just as well on a 85hp 500 or a 170hp 1000. It's all the same in the end. Just ride like an adult, take the classes and have fun.

And the people in here will hate me for saying this, but don't be intimidated by the hawk. It's fairly close to the bottom of the power scale as far as bikes made in the last 4-5 years. Sure it's got a fair amount of tourque, but all v-twins do. It's just part of what they are.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Squid

endless is on a distinguished road
Well I am novice in that this is my first bike to own, but I plan on owning it for several seasons. I have had slight experience on a Suzi Katana 600, taking it for a several rides around the block and such, and I have also ridden an older model Ninja ZX-6R. I also drove a Hyosung GT250R. On all three bikes, I did not exceed 50mph or 4th gear (except on the 250R).

Also, I am 21 years old and this bike will be primarily used to city commuting as my university is located in the heart of downtown and I am located in the suburbs.

Thanks to all who have replied --- please continue to provide such great insight on a wonderful machine.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Squid

gnapoleone is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been riding over 25 years and personally I think the SH would be to much. The low grunt is nice but can get you in over your head in a heartbeat. I find myself wacking the throttle and the SH getting to be a handful in a second, she is an animal. But like others said if you ride like an adult then it should not be an issue, unless you have just a slight disrespect for the machine. maybe a VFR or something would be best..

If riding a 100cc bike was easy then why isnt everyone riding one?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Back Marker

I'm thinking SV650 would be the best bet. Strong, but not overly powerful...torquey, unique, and parts EVERYWHERE. I always liked em, was going to get one before I came across the hawk.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
I now own a 2002 sv 650 naked wich was my first bike and now it has become my wifes first bike(after a motorcycle safety course) . and seriously I think that that is one of the best starter bikes ever! I grew up riding dirt but the sv was my first expierience on a street bike and honestly if I hadnt started there I might be another guy on a gixxer 600

now I have stepped up to the hawk , and yes it is definately is a step up. I have read some posts on the sv forums that the hawk feels like an sv 650 but they are sorely mistaken the hawk is a whole different beast and a great one, but I really would suggest an sv as a starter bike . really gets you used to the power delivery of a v-twin and is a ton of fun . I still enjoy trading the wife for a while, the upright riding on the naked sv's is great and, great handling is always a plus!

and yes she does do very well on the hawk now that she been riding for a while and damn does she look good on it!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
My hawk is the only rocket I've ever owned. I've riden other inline rockets, but I love my V-twins. Plus they sound awsome with D&D's.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
I bought my first bike, a 1989 Honda NT650Hawk GT, over a year and half ago, and I have to admit that not only was it a great first bike, but I probably would have kept it if I didn't feel the need for more power for my highway rides (and the wife wasn't about to let me keep two bikes with a kid on the way). It handled beautifully and had enough power to get you out of trouble, but not enough to get you IN trouble. I sold it and bought my SHawk for nearly the same amount of money. If you a level-headed and have self-control, you will probably be fine starting with a SHawk, but I believe that the combination of the MSF class and over a year on the NT650 was my best move in learning. And by the way, adopt the attitude that you learn EVERY time you take your bike out....
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Buy a SV650S. It will be a great first bike and very easy to sell when you want to step up. My first bike was a 81 CSR650/600? Kawasaki and I thought it was plenty fast. You will love the SV650S which is a great looking, fun bike. Especially for a commuter bike around town. Plus you will get around 45mpg at least. And at 21 your insurance will be affordable. Insurance on a Superhawk for a 21 year old will be outrageous.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

I agree with the SV650 comments. I think bikes are like shoes - you should buy them to fit without worrying about what you might grow into. Most riders have bikes with way more abilities than we need - but at least we have some experience. Its usually more fun to feel like you are riding a bike near its potential anyway. learn on it, see how you like the sport - they are cheap used and you will need money for proper riding gear if you are really going to do it right anyway. You'll know when/if you've outgrown it and like was said you can always sell it and move up.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I can't remember how many times I have recommended the SV650S t omy students who graduate and look for a bike. Everyone seems to shrug it off, but that is a huge mistake. Between the hawk and the sv, there is night and day, but the sv has some great attributes: MPG!!!, hard to get in over your head, easier to ride at a higher skill level, dead reliable, fun, lighter than a hawk by alot, doesn't chew up tires like cookie monster and chocolate chips, and they go on. Oh yeah, I almost owned a brand new sv over the 2000 hawk I have bbecause insurance was rediculous from American Family. They wanted 1400 on the hawk for full coverage, and 250 on the SV for the same. In 4-5 years I would have paid for the bike at that rate.

Bill
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 AM
rnb
Back Marker

rnb is on a distinguished road
i agree that an sv650 would be a good starter bike. also a suzuki gs 500 would be fine. parallel twin upright riding position and a comfortable seat.just be careful on whatever bike you buy and remember to look out for other drivers, thats the scariest part of riding anymore.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
yeah but the gs 500 I think you would out grow real fast then your stuck with it and not so much with sv . IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
SuperBike

for SV650 upgrades check out this site also - tons of premade options for upgrades to the bike

http://www.motospecialties.com/store...ki&type2=SV650
Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by azhawk1
yeah but the gs 500 I think you would out grow real fast then your stuck with it and not so much with sv . IMO.
+1....I grew out of my ex500 and that was +4 rear, full single-sided exhaust, k+n, etc! The GS500 has significantly less power, being a SOHC versus Kawi's DOHC motor, and the GS is slightly heavier and air cooled, whereas the Kawi is water-cooled.

Only thing it's got going for it is it looks better.....call it the baby gixxer
Old 04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Squid

Ogre8472 is on a distinguished road
Every one here has some great input. And although thoughts vary the idea is the same. I for one started on a Rebel 450. That was a great bike to do city and short hwy trips (i was a little smaller then too) I then bought a CB650SC A nother wonderful bike. more power and still more fun. Now after riding for more than 7 years last year i finnaly bought my first Sport Bike...the '05 SuperHawk...I took my time because I needed to. If you think and act like a responsable adult then by all means but I would suggest something smaller....For kicks I also have a '86 YX600...old school bike that is still a blast to ride on and fast enough to get-thee-to-jail speeds....But thats me.