General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

hitting a pigon at speed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
hitting a pigon at speed.

coarse language and an animal was harmed, (not by choice).

Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Years ago I was flying along some backroads in eastern PA running about 70-80 mph when out of the corner of my eye i saw what turned out to be a pheasant homing in on me like a stinger missle. It hit me square in the chest and just about knocked me off the bike, needless to say it didn't survive the impact, fortunately I did. Luckily it didn't explode like that pidgeon, probably a velocity issue!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
The pictures say a crapload! lol
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Had that happen at about 70mph at the beginning of this season. Hit me in the chest, hurt like hell, lol...

I think it was a robin that hit me. It was across my chest, then went under my arm.

Things like this make good stories after the fact... sucks when it happens though!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Squid

Bdalefire115 is on a distinguished road
Had that happen on my 02 R1. About 75mph and a little tweety bird hit me square in the chest. It startled and scared me more than anything. Poor thing fell on my tank and by the time I went to grab ot the wind blew it off.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM
SuperSport

I know a guy who is a pilot. He hit a hawk at about 2 thousand feet, it came through the canopy and hit him square in the face. He woke up later, blood in his eyes, hole in the windscreen and flying. Still has a huge scar on his face.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I hit an NYC pigeon at @ 50 or 60. What an impact. Hit me right in the chest like a roaster chicken shot out of a cannon.

But I guess it was him or me.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:13 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I hit an NYC pigeon at @ 50 or 60. What an impact. Hit me right in the chest like a roaster chicken shot out of a cannon.

But I guess it was him or me.
those NYC pigons must be a tough bunch!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
I was trying to make time across Montana back in 1997 when I was younger and more foolish...after being in the saddle for 24 of the prior 26 hours riding cross country. Anyway, it was back in the days when day-time speed limit in Montana was "Reasonable and Prudent" which, if you were on a bike that looked well-maintained and you had safety gear on, the troopers weren't going to bother with you. I was tucked down fairly tight doing about 160 indicated (prolly about 135) on my old ZX-10 when I saw a brownish/white speck up ahead at about head level. I literally had about a split second to realize it was a bird (maybe a dove?) duck down, and get my head pressed hard into the tankbag, as it connected with, and EXPLODED off of the tailbag behind me. I looked up in the mirror just in time to see a pretty amazing corona of feathers billowing behind me. I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd taken him in the helmet at that speed. Needless to say, I slowed WAY down.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It may be my cityrider paranoia but I do quick horn blips whenever I suspect a wayward bird. (or person or car for that matter, I go thru alot of horns).

You may be a manly man & not afraid of a bird, but that 16yr old girl texting at 77mph in her parents escalade has NOT prepared for this moment and could take your life in that spit second panic.

One of the rules of riding a bike is that you gotta think for everyone else too.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Squid

wolfgun is on a distinguished road
Damn, I got hit by a June Bug in the sternum at about 85MPH. I was certain I had been shot! I don't know what would have happened had it been a bird!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have had run ins with seagulls a couple of times... One took out the headlight and ended up halfway through the backside of it... But that one dived at me straight ahead, and I was doing highway speeds... The other time, one hit me on the shoulder, which gave me a rather large bruise...

Birds hurt...
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
It may be my cityrider paranoia but I do quick horn blips whenever I suspect a wayward bird. (or person or car for that matter, I go thru alot of horns).

You may be a manly man & not afraid of a bird, but that 16yr old girl texting at 77mph in her parents escalade has NOT prepared for this moment and could take your life in that spit second panic.

One of the rules of riding a bike is that you gotta think for everyone else too.
+1
when I first started riding on the street, I was given sage advice that has served me well to this day, "ride like you're invisible and everyone's out to kill you". Never assume anyone sees you!

On topic, in the 70's I rode a Triumph. I still recall riding along the highway, corn fields on both sides, and the grass hoppers hitting me like being pelted with shot. Who could guess those little suckers could hurt so much?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
I had a bumble bee fly up my face mask and freak out in my eyes while on the highway. I opened my visor at like 70 mph and he was like weeeee. Talk about not being able to concentrate haha. BTW I just ordered a chin curtain lol hopefully that will stop them buggies.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
Last year I actually got hit by a quail in two straight days of riding. (Bad time of the year for quail I guess) First day was a country road straight at 80ish. Just saw a flash of it and then the punch on my left arm/shoulder area.
Just about knocked my hand off the bars. (that one hurt a bit)
Next day I saw them all packed in the middle of the road and slowed a bit. They all took off in different directions and one tagged my windscreen and all I saw was cartwheels quail feet and feathers. Friggin thing busted my screen in two! That quail was buzzard food.... Helped them out a bit by de-feathering it for them... lol
Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I posted up when it happend, took a full grown buzzard in the chest at 70mph. Went through the front fairing and screen like a cannonball, hit me in the middle of the chest, I turned my upper torso and he slid off. Hit it butt on straight as a pack of em took flight from the side of the road when I was about 70 ft away.