General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What to do! dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Squid

Renderw is on a distinguished road
What to do! dilemna

ok so I bought this VTR with 75k on it with failed CCT.. thanks to this website and finding a used head I got her back together.. but the problems havn't stopped.. the TwoBro’s pipes had the wrong clamps and where wearing on the chain stay.. new clamps from two brothers $75.. bike had been dropped body work all smashed up. but i fixed it all and gave it a quick "for now" paint job. looks not bad to be honest.. fixed the gas gauge, (broken wire in tank) cleaned the carbs.. cleaned the tank (both were good, but the problems persist).
so it's smoking bad! won't rev, making no HP.. I took it to a mechanic friend and his guess was that it ran low on oil and scored the cylinder walls oil getting past the rings.. motor job worth more then a replacement motor.. Clearly the guy I bought it from lied his a$$ off to me when he told me it was running perfect before this happened.. during one little test drive it seemed that the steering may have a bend in it too.. forks seem ok. but something is off.

So here we are.. $1300 into it at this point.. do I swap the motor.. sell off the front head I bought, it's good. or do I part it out.. or sell for $1000 and cut my losses (guy interested). found two motors local.. 11000 km on one, wants $1000 and another one with 35000km on it. wants $750. btw local is still a 2 hour drive. .. then I need stickers more paint. clear coat.. and maybe a front end.. and at the end of the day I would have a bike that's odometer reads 75000km on it so worth about 2000 at best.. and I would have more then that into it.. but if I like it.. and that is yet to be seen.. then I have a bike I like.. I’m coming off a SV650s.. track and street use and I want this to be the same but 1L.

Sell or fix?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If you can not determine if the front end, frame, ect is straight, bent, or what ever.. I would not start dropping more money on it.

1300 now plus a motor, and it still needs a paint job and has repaired body work... That's a tough one... as buy in for a running bike in decent shape is in the $2000 category and up.

IF the suspension and frame is straight (perhaps the forks are just twisted in the triple clamps) and you want to keep, ride the bike,, vs selling for a break even or profit .. then find a good used motor, install and ride, part out the current motor to recoup some cash.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I believe I'd cut my losses and look for a bike that is good shape.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
If your looking for a bike to bring to the track this bike needs some work in the suspension and brake department, so if you can determine the "off" is due to the forks, most people swap the forks anyways...

As for the smoking, while you were doing the head swap did you pull the other head and verify that nothing was bent and all clearances checked out? From what you've said it doesn't sound like a cylinder wall problem, it sounds like a bent valve or another head problem...

Personally I love my bike and have put way more money in to it then I could get back(I know because I tried selling at one point) I would keep it, drop the motor in it for $750, figure out where the chassis is tweaked and replace it... I would keep the blown motor as a base for a stage 1 build

There is always listings on here and eBay for complete partouts...

Keep in mind I've had my SH since 2006 and do not plan on selling it whatsoever
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
BTW luv2insanity has a complete parts bike for sale...

See what's wrong with it, take the two and make one, and scrap the rest on eBay and here...

You might be able to break even on the parts bike and then some, and end up with a perfectly functional bike
Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
REBUILD! I couldnt even think about gettin rid of my SH, i gave away a newer model gsxr1000 so I could keep riding my baby enjoy her
Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Really depends on if you want a project or not. I had to do quite a bit of rebuilding on mine (clicky on the picture in my signature), and I couldn't sell it for what I put into it by a long shot, but it was very, very worth the process for me.

If you want a running motorcycle, I'd ditch that one and buy a running one...