General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hit the road, destination Death Valley

Old 05-21-2011, 05:48 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
Hit the road, destination Death Valley

Got a late start today. Left San Francisco at noon and hit the highway with plans to reach Barstow by nightfall.

Bike is running amazing. Fuel "ECONOMY" , yes economy is in the mid 40's. Best for far is 46+mpg. Didn't expect to get high thirty. Cruising speed is 75 plus on the highway.

Sitting in McD's now cooling off from the highway heat. Gotta hit the road.

Miguel

Ps; first pic before departure and the other is on Hwy 5.
Attached Thumbnails Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-21-12.17.53.jpg   Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-21-16.08.56.jpg  

Last edited by Cafe Racer; 05-22-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Wow! Mid 40's mpg is great. I haven't seen that since I sold my BMW R100RS.

Enjoy the ride...and enjoy the nightlife in Barstow.

Keep the pics coming.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Hard ride! Got into town at 1130pm.

The bike ran excellent. Nothing like a V-Twin for a road trip. The lowest mpg I got was 38. This was due to high speeds. My last tank I got 45 mpg.

Miguel
Old 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

A few more from today. Crazy mileage. Tired!
Attached Thumbnails Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-22-10.35.38.jpg   Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-22-10.46.44.jpg   Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-22-12.46.10.jpg   Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-22-15.20.07.jpg  
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Squid

05Titan is on a distinguished road
My favorite place in the US!!!
Took many trips to Death Valley from 1990-1992; in a Jeep Cherokee or a Honda XL600.
I know the Valley very well; Furnace Creek, Badwater, Dantes Peak, etc.
Have loads of fun and keep the shiny side up!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Made it back to the City. Damn I'm tired. Bike got excellent mpg's. Best was 46 and worse was 33 "freeway" while driving in heavy frickin wind!

Was buying gas at a Chevron off of Hwy 5 and this old guy tells me about some twisties that have fresh asphalt.
"Only 20 minutes away"
I checked it out and it was awesome!

Got some good vids for YouTube.

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-23-11.17.41.jpg   Hit the road, destination Death Valley-2011-05-23-08.31.33.jpg  

Last edited by Cafe Racer; 05-23-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Glad you made it back to The City safely (I know better than to call it "Frisco", I spent a couple weeks on Treasure Island in 1967, compliments of the USN).

Not quite an Iron Butt, but you have my admiration.

What route did you take back over the Sierra?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Squid

wshski is on a distinguished road
Miguel,
I'm coming out that way at the end of July. How's Barstow for overnight stay? I'm planning going up to the Sequ??? National Park/forest, then crossover to the coast, up the coast and across the golden gate, up around napa, then back east across Yosemite, to 395 ? , up to Tahoe. any suggestions, comments, places to see, gas stations, are all welcome.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
58 Did you take the 58 all the way over to the 101 ? My favorite ride.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Originally Posted by wshski
Miguel,
I'm coming out that way at the end of July. How's Barstow for overnight stay? I'm planning going up to the Sequ??? National Park/forest, then crossover to the coast, up the coast and across the golden gate, up around napa, then back east across Yosemite, to 395 ? , up to Tahoe. any suggestions, comments, places to see, gas stations, are all welcome.
July is a nice time to ride! It will be hot but the roads will be clear. Barstow is great for an overnight stay. Lots of motels and restaurants. But I would make reservations ahead of time. If they are sold out you are stuck because the next town is 50 miles away. There is enough fuel out there but make sure to plan ahead. The SuperHawk range isnt the greatest and getting stuck in the desert is no joke. Very limited traffic. There is a Chevron in Shoshone but they charge 5.50 a gallon. But that will give you enough fuel to make a small loop in DVNP. Definitely give send me a PM when you get into town. I will show you some great places to ride in the SF Bay Area.

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Glad you made it back to The City safely (I know better than to call it "Frisco", I spent a couple weeks on Treasure Island in 1967, compliments of the USN).

Not quite an Iron Butt, but you have my admiration.

What route did you take back over the Sierra?
Yes, only tourist call it Frisco. The distance was pretty decent. I did about 1300 miles in 3 days. More then anough for me.

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
58 Did you take the 58 all the way over to the 101 ? My favorite ride.
Highway 58 is simply amazing!.. I took it all the way to Hwy 101. I was going to do the 5 but then I figured I would try out 58. OMG! I couldnt beleive it. I took some great vids to post up later. I put the VTR tires to work!

Miguel

Last edited by Cafe Racer; 02-19-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:51 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Miguel,

Btw... if you have time ride 395 south to DVNP. If time is short take Hwy 108 west. I think it is one of the most beautiful way to cross the Sierras.

Miguel
Old 06-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Squid

Thanks, I'll try to get up with you in SF. Will try to ride 58, sounds good.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well if you guys hit Mt Ham\Mines or even the Santa Cruz Mtns let me know.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Thanks, I'll try to get up with you in SF. Will try to ride 58, sounds good.
Yeah... send me an email or PM a day ahead of time. I have a nice garage to do some general service if necessary.

Miguel
Old 06-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Squid

Thanks Miguel & Hawk.
Plans are to be around Santa Cruz to S.F. either Tues or Wed July 26/27. Will try to email ya'll when we get into Calif. maybe we can hook up for a ride or meet for a beer if we stay in the area overnight. We'll be on VTX's for this trip. Much more comfortable for the miles we're doing. O, Plans are to meet some others in Barstow (they're doing the ironbutt coast 2 coast in 50 hours) then ride up thru Sequoia Nat'l Forest, thru Porterville, to Coalinga, King City, Monterey, Santa Cruz, S.F. (Golden Gate) to Bedega Bay, back across to Yosemite (Tioga Pass) to Lake Tahoe. If you got any suggestion getting from Sequoia to Monterey & Bedega Bay to Yosemite let me know.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Thanks Miguel & Hawk.
Plans are to be around Santa Cruz to S.F. either Tues or Wed July 26/27... Plans are to meet some others in Barstow (they're doing the ironbutt coast 2 coast in 50 hours) then ride up thru Sequoia Nat'l Forest, thru Porterville, to Coalinga, King City, Monterey, Santa Cruz, S.F. (Golden Gate) to Bedega Bay, back across to Yosemite (Tioga Pass) to Lake Tahoe. If you got any suggestion getting from Sequoia to Monterey & Bedega Bay to Yosemite let me know.
Okay... Sequoia to Monterey is easy.

From Sequoia Natl work your way towards Bakersfield. In Bakersfield catch Hwy 58 west towards Buttonwillow located at the intersection of 58 and Hwy 5. Refuel here because this is your last fuel stop for about 100 miles.

Continue west on 58. After about 25 miles you will come to some amazing roads. One of the best stretches of twisties in the state of California. After a couple of hours of twisties to will reach Hwy 101.

I would ride south to San Luis Obispo and hook up with Hwy 1. Then take that to Monterey. This will put you on the coastline for epic sights and smells.

As for Bodega Bay to Yosemite? Not difficult but you will hit SF Bay Area traffic. I wouldnt incorporate those two destinations. Bodega and the surrounding area is beautiful. But trying to do an enjoyable ride north of the Golden Gate and then go to Yosemite is not good. Btw...are you planning to camp in Yosemite? Check for accommodation in advance. Very far in advance. During the summer it is a zoo.

Miguel

Email when you will be in town. I will gives you a great mc tour of The City. I know the secret shortcuts and sights. I'm an SF Fireman. I got the inside info.