General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Highway Pegs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Squid

beerman is on a distinguished road
Highway Pegs?

Hello All!
A while back I lost my left leg and posted on here trying to figure out how to shift. With a few adjustments to my prosthetic and the shifter I am able to shift pretty well by hooking the shifter with the back of my shoe/foot. The only issue I have is when I make a left turn I need to either shift before or after the turn otherwise my foot gets caught between the bike and the road.
So now the issue that I have is I am unable to keep my fake leg bent back on the peg for any amount of time because it torques on my residual limb and becomes quite painful. What I have been doing is putting my fake foot up in the vent hole on the fairing. What I am wondering is if anyone has ever put highway pegs or anything similar on their Superhawk? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I wonder if you could use t-rex sliders somehow?

And maybe make a catch that attaches to the tip of it?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Squid

Thanks for the reply. I bought some t-rex sliders but haven't put them on yet. I was hoping to put those on in the next couple weeks when I am mobile again (just had another surgery so I am still recovering).
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
It should work like a champ. I use my t-rex sliders to change leg positions alot.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The T-rex are plenty big enough to use as highway pegs, altough for me the angle isn't right... I'm tall, so i just have to bend myself as a pretzel to get my feet up there...

Like 7 said, perhaps a tab or something to keep the prosthetic on there?
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Personally, i find that putting your leg up there on the frame slider is a bit of a pain, at least for me being 6'2".

I am a pretty good fabricator, so once i get home tonight im going to give the bike a good looking at sit and figure out a comfortable spot mount to keep your's or anyones leg for that matter.

Are you looking more so for something a little more forword so you can rest your foot on, or would you rather have something a little further back but higher up? cause the frame sliders are pretty far back and for me, its a pain to get my leg up and comfortable on the sliders, you have to really bend your leg to get it on, and unless you are going to attempt to rest your calf on it your leg will be bent at a hard angle the entire time you have it there. im invisoning something along the lines of a crash cage, built close to the plastics but a touch further forward to be used as a highway bar like on a cruiser. If it can be built with metal, then i can build it with metal. haha.

How tall are you? what type of prostetic do you have?

Will get back with you tonight after work.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 04-19-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I wonder if there is a way to install a two way solenoid of sort, so you can operate the shifter with a hand switch, kinda like the quick shift... that way you can rest your feet on the peg without moving it.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
I wonder if there is a way to install a two way solenoid of sort, so you can operate the shifter with a hand switch, kinda like the quick shift... that way you can rest your feet on the peg without moving it.
There is... Here's one company that does it...

Push Button Electronic Gearchange, Electric Shifter, Quickshifter, Flatshifter, Disabled Bike Adaptations
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Taking into consideration your situation, have you ever considered modifying
for a hand shifter ? Obviously, will not be the pretties thing on a sports bike, but perhaps worth looking into. I know I've seen it once on a chooper here
in my neck of the woods, and, I know it's been done more then once on custom bikes. Food for thought IMHO
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Squid

Thanks for the all the replies. I would like to fabricate something that I can stretch my leg straight out and rest my prosthetic on but not get caught in the twisties. Ideally my foot would rest on the peg also, not the pylon(or calf of the prosthetic). I am about 6 foot and my prosthetic is attaches with a locking pin. The button to release my prosthetic is also on the inside of my leg(its the silver round cylinder that has a notch cut for flat blade screwdriver) so I have to be careful to not hit that when I ride otherwise my leg can fall off. That has happened once before.

As far as the electric hand shifting goes, I have tried it. My prosthetist has it on his bike and I did not like it. It felt more unnatural than shifting with my prosthetic.
Attached Thumbnails Highway Pegs?-prosthetic.jpg  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM
SuperSport

sounds good, it might take me a few days to get something drawn up, as soon as i do i will post pictures and we can go from there, my idea would be to mount it forward on the bike, high enough to not get snagged on the gound, but low enough to where its still comfortable.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
SuperSport

Ok, with doing some riding, trying different leg positions, the only thing I have found would be to remove the slider and make a bracket that went from the engine bolt that the slider attaches at roughly 10 in forward at a downward say 30 or so degree angle with a peg attached at the end.

My biggest concern here would be that in doing this to get a low enough comfortable leg position, it may hinder the lean angle of the bike (which you said you didn't want to compromise)

Once my new sliders come in, I'm going to do a full on mock up and will post pictures, hopefully by the end of the week, early next week.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 04-23-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Beerman, this has gotta one of the wildest dilemas ever on the forum. That is inspiring that you are still riding. Its hard to figure the issue you are having. Is it really uncomfortable to keep both "feet" on the pegs as normal?

Would it help to have a heel like on a timberland boot? That keeps my feet on with almost no effort. JCwhitney sells a hand shifter that bolts onto the stock lever, but you said you didnt like the hand thing.

You can also get heel/toe attachments that work the same way (always a downward motion)

Oh yeah. Had to ask, have you seen this guy. Extremely inspiring.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Squid

It's kind of funny because I think this dilemma is easier than when I had to figure out how to ride my mountain bike. It took many falls to find the right pedal combination of where I could kind of lock my prosthetic in but yet be able to release it from the pedal quickly before face planting. A lot of adjustments have to be made with once normal activities when you lose a limb.

I have heard of Nick, whenever I start to get down I just think of people like him. I am only missing 1 limb, there are a lot of people that have it much worse than me.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Squid

Thanks sailorjerry, I went out and looked at my bike yesterday and was thinking it would probably have to get mounted off the frame slider or where it attaches also. I am starting to be able to walk again and am almost healed from surgery so hopefully I can get something going in the next week or two. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Squid

Fort Worth locksmith is on a distinguished road
I think your bike is great and good.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Mountain bike pedals? I used clip in pedals because they keep your feet on the pedal, but more importantly added power to bunny hops since you can pull up with your feet & legs as well as your hands & arms... Just a thought. And I've got a spare set of clip in pedals if you'd like to experiment with something...
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Whoops. Sorry, on.my phone I often skim over whole posts. I missed the one about mtn bike pedals above. But my offer for a free set to donate for experimentation stands if you need them!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
BBC Sport - How a double amputee is racing a superbike at 150mph

The rear brake, which is normally operated by the right foot of a motorcyclist, is now housed on the right handlebar and is controlled by Hambro's thumb.
The gear lever, usually operated by a rider's left foot, has been replaced by up and down shift buttons on the left handlebar. A similar system is used on Hambro's race bike.
Moving about on the bike was the biggest problem, as he found his feet were slipping off the footpegs. So he drilled a hole in his boot to allow him to 'attach' it to the bike. That helped a lot.