General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Visiting LA area - Questions about PC Highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Visiting LA area - Questions about PC Highway

OK, so i am heading to El Segundo next week and have from 11 am till dark Monday to kill some time.

I was thinking of renting a sportbike while there and hitting the Pacific Coast highway going north.

Anyone live out that way got any suggestions. Is that a crazy idea. I can rent the a Ducati 1098 for $200 a day. I figured it would be a once in a lifetime chance to ride there. I only have Monday free.

I can rent a GSX/R or a CRB 600 for $169 so for the diff the 1098 sounds like more fun.

Thoughts, reccomendations!

Anyone.......
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I'd say do it! Malibu is less than an hour north of El Segundo on the PCH. I just moved to Souther Cal from Nothern Cal and I have to say the mountains above Malibu are as good or better than the best roads in the Santa Cruz mountains in Nor Cal. They have a bit of gravel here an there though so keep your eyes peeled for it.

Just about any of the roads up from Hwy 1 (PCH) in Malibu are a good bet. This site has some reviews of the roads...
http://lateralg.org/roads/orange/malibu.htm

Scroll down to the map and click on the red roads.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 PM
SuperBike

Moto Man, You rock! those were some of the exact roads i was looking at on mapquest satilite view.

now i just got to see if they got the bike i am interested in. I even thought about and 08 Ninja 250 to just to get out and ride on. It is only $100 / day.

I will have to drag my leathers. boots, and helmet along on the plane, but that can all go into my huge Dirt bike gear bag.

Man i hope this works out. Weather forecast looks good, Sunny 68 degrees.....
Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Superstock

Verne
Thumper I would love to do that. Back in '99 I got to drive the PCH from South LA to San Fran and loved it. I want to go back and do it in a bike. If you are out there and have the time I hope you get to it is awesome.

Verne
Old 06-05-2008, 03:38 AM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
You've got to do it! I'm sure the CA riders will chime in some more, but I thought I'd add some out-of-state perspective as well. Last summer my wife and I rode from Tampa, FL to Monterey, CA and back (7000 miles in 15 days, me on my GS and she on her VFR), to go to Laguna Seca for the races. After the races we went south on the PCH to LA. I'd lived in Monterey many years ago and had forgotten how awesome the PCH is. Spend the bucks, rent the 1098, have fun and TAKE YOUR CAMERA! Enjoy and ride safe!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 AM
Squid

kfkraenz
Where did you find a place that rents sportbikes?

I had the same opertunity a coupe of years ago, except the only bikes I could find to rent were harley's so I had a road king. It was a fun trip and going in the canyons above malibu was a blast. My favorite road was Rt 33 north of Ojai. You just leave town and go up into a mountian forever! Living east of the Mississippi my whole life, it was unbelievable to be able to leave LA and in 2 hrs of riding on awesome roads, end up on a mountian.

There is a company called mad maps (http://madmaps.com). They make maps of different areas for sport cars and bikes. They tell alot about the rout and the roads. They got thier start in California and I was impressed with their maps of CA.

-Karl
Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 AM
SuperBike

http://www.sportbikerental.com/motorcycle_rentals.php
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 AM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Wow they're proud of that 1098. $2500 Deposit? That would be an interesting place to try the Can Am Spyder.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:53 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lhoward1134
Wow they're proud of that 1098. $2500 Deposit? That would be an interesting place to try the Can Am Spyder.
Yea i am scared of renting a bike that pricey to replace. I probably will go with the little 250 Ninja or a 600 if i get to do it at all. Got to call them today and work out the logistics.

I could rent a cruiser as well from other locations at a reduced cost.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Please take the locals advice over mine as I've only done the tourist thing like you but in a car with the family.

I'd suggest getting off PCH1 fairly soon. It's gorgeous with incredible views and is the best way to reach NoCal but it has pretty heavy traffic in many areas and more patrols so sample it for the experience and some pics but get off and head for the mountains after that.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
The 600 is all you need for the Santa Monica Alps (Roads above Malibu).

PCH does not get really interesting till you get to Cambria.

You could do the Alps in the morning and then jump over to the Angeles Crest Highway to Wrightwood in the afternoon
one hour transition and 70 miles each way on the crest

Two different type of roads.

Roads above Malibu Tight, twisty, narrow, and never more than 10 miles from the ocean. Piuma, Latigo, Mullholland, Lower sycamore, Deer Creek, Toganga, Malibu Canyon, and others all tie together that you cna spend all day doing them.

The Crest:

Bottom part til Newcombs is a sedate dance with constant radius corners at CHP speed to enjoy the vista of a receeding LA Basin as you climb into the Angeles Natl. park. Once past 'nukes the road becomes a connecting group of high speed sweepers in the higher Alpine reaches and thinning tree line. Flying through tunnels and past closed ski spots gaze out over the high desert and the dry lake bed that services the Shuttle on occasion. Diving back in the mountians you close in on the city of Wrightwood that last had snow over Memorial Day!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
+1 on Angeles Crest Highway to Wrightwood (less traffic)
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

OK so it looks like i would have about eight hours of daylight to explore. If i bite the bullet i would most likley be heading north around noon out of venice and back to el segundo late evening or after dark.

I am thinking on doing a 24 hour rental noon to noon and then run the bike back on my lunch break Tuesday. (leave rental car at the sportbike rental place overnight)

crest run sounds like the ticket.

right now they have a GSXR 600 and a VFR800
Old 06-05-2008, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lowell
The 600 is all you need for the Santa Monica Alps (Roads above Malibu).

PCH does not get really interesting till you get to Cambria.

You could do the Alps in the morning and then jump over to the Angeles Crest Highway to Wrightwood in the afternoon
one hour transition and 70 miles each way on the crest

Two different type of roads.

Roads above Malibu Tight, twisty, narrow, and never more than 10 miles from the ocean. Piuma, Latigo, Mullholland, Lower sycamore, Deer Creek, Toganga, Malibu Canyon, and others all tie together that you cna spend all day doing them.

The Crest:

Bottom part til Newcombs is a sedate dance with constant radius corners at CHP speed to enjoy the vista of a receeding LA Basin as you climb into the Angeles Natl. park. Once past 'nukes the road becomes a connecting group of high speed sweepers in the higher Alpine reaches and thinning tree line. Flying through tunnels and past closed ski spots gaze out over the high desert and the dry lake bed that services the Shuttle on occasion. Diving back in the mountians you close in on the city of Wrightwood that last had snow over Memorial Day!

Thanks guys for the comments, looks like the creat run woul dbe more fun than the Malibu area if i only had time to do one. I would liketo hit Mullholland east to west and then maybe back into LA on the PCH at teh end of the day.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

Mullholland is not continious unless you have a dirtbike
Old 06-05-2008, 10:48 AM
SuperBike

OK so i will have to spend an extra $20 for the additional 100 miles (150 mile limit per 24 hour period) but it looks like it would be worth it.

I would most likely run this route and play around Mullholland roads and then work my way back down the PCH around sunset to El Segundo

I would hav to go thru LA around 12:30PM to get to the crest and deal with traffic, but thats looks like the only option..

Thoughts on the loop guys....

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/el+segu...:::::f:EN:m:/e

Last edited by Thumper; 06-05-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

I would head El sendgo to the PCH via the 405 to the 10
Run to Topanga and then up to Old Topanga. and wind over to stunt, piuma, malibu canyon, mullholland to the rockstore up to Kanan, left and left on Latigo back to the coast right to Decker (23) up to mullholland, left to Little sycamore and then down to the coast and neptures nest.

Crest ride I would just the 10 thru downtown (LANESPLIT) to the 2 thru Glendale to the 210. Left on and off the 210 to the crest Hwy 2. JUmp up the hill to wright wood. Left out of WW over Mt Emma road to Angeles Forest. Turn down Sand Canyon to Valencia and then that the 405 back to El segrindo
Old 06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lowell
I would head El sendgo to the PCH via the 405 to the 10
Run to Topanga and then up to Old Topanga. and wind over to stunt, piuma, malibu canyon, mullholland to the rockstore up to Kanan, left and left on Latigo back to the coast right to Decker (23) up to mullholland, left to Little sycamore and then down to the coast and neptures nest.

Here is the route lowell is talking about layed out on google maps right from the rental place to netunes net...
http://tinyurl.com/3u5jud

Enjoy the twisties and the ocean view!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

bdizzle is on a distinguished road
Thumper: The route that you have is mainly highway. If you don't mind a fellow hawker taggin along that has rode angeles crest, and the pch-malibu mountains, i can take you on a ride that has a little bit more twisties.

This is more or less what i was thinking.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/el+segu...:1:::f:EN:m:/e
Old 06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by bdizzle
Thumper: The route that you have is mainly highway. If you don't mind a fellow hawker taggin along that has rode angeles crest, and the pch-malibu mountains, i can take you on a ride that has a little bit more twisties.

Thanks,

I went ahead and re

Last edited by Thumper; 06-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
If you're gonna do Angeles Crest, may I suggest bypassing Hollywood. Take the 405 N. to Mulholland Dr, and ride that over to Cahuenga (make left), then pick Barham up from there. Step #12 on the A to B directions. Strange directions by the way. #14 has you drive by Hollywood Way (you'd make a left) the turn onto Riverside then Hollywood Way. Regardless, the bridge on Hollywood Way is closed in that direction for repair. FYI Monday forecast Malibu = 72°, Palmdale = 90°.

P.S. I haven't ridden many of the Santa Monica mountains (my bad) but I think you'll enjoy Westlake Blvd (rt 23). Some very sharp turns and the road is in pretty good condition. Watch for loose gravel though.

Last edited by Gregw; 06-06-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:09 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Hey Thumper,
I found a Decker Canyon(Westlake Blvd) video on Youtube. I can't post the link (server hack?) just enter this into the search at Youtube. JJLRCnCQ2Gg
Old 06-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Hey Thumper,
I found a Decker Canyon(Westlake Blvd) video on Youtube. I can't post the link (server hack?) just enter this into the search at Youtube. JJLRCnCQ2Gg
I HATE FLORIDA!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I was yelling)
Old 06-07-2008, 06:52 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I'm guessing you watched the video. I've never been to the Dragon, but the videos don't look as twisty as Decker.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Superstock

Verne
Thumper I want a comparison of out there to the Tennessee East side.

Verne
Old 06-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Once you get out of the L.A. area the only problem with PCH is......I didn't want it to end!! Took it from San Diego north to the Redwoods in '05. Was on of the best trip I've ever been on.....ever if it was in a car.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Just my opinion but Decker Canyon, esp. near PCH is better suited for a 250cc super motard, or a ten speed bicycle, than a 1000cc sportbike.

I've only ridden it once on the VTR from the ocean side. If you ride it real early in the am watch out for that first uphill hairpin. It is hairy, and the sun will be in your eyes.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by bdizzle

Thanks, I will give you a call Sunday and see if your schdule is still open. I rented a 07/08 CBR600RR and should be mobile by noon or 12:30PM
Old 06-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
Just my opinion but Decker Canyon, esp. near PCH is better suited for a 250cc super motard, or a ten speed bicycle, than a 1000cc sportbike.

I've only ridden it once on the VTR from the ocean side. If you ride it real early in the am watch out for that first uphill hairpin. It is hairy, and the sun will be in your eyes.

Not as scary as a SUV loaded with surfers on that narrow road.. BTDT
Old 06-08-2008, 09:50 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Hi RK1,
That video I posted I believe was taken on an SV1000. The poster on Youtube was named Caffeineracer who used to be (maybe still) a member here.

Quick Reply: Visiting LA area - Questions about PC Highway