General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Help! My bar end is jacked! I think... maybe..

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Help! My bar end is jacked! I think... maybe..

I got some bar ends in the mail today and went to install them.

When i got the bike, the stock right side bar end was missing because previous owner laid the bike down, and never replaced it. I looked over the bar ends, noticed the notch and went to line it up and screw it in.... hmmm the screw they sent isnt long enough.... or is it???

I went to the left side, unscrewed that one and noticed that the threaded portion was much closer to the end of the handlebar than the other side. That one screwed in... but i could only tighten it so far before the whole bar end started spinning. Is this normal?

I rolled back the grip, and some plastic opaque pieces fell out. im guessing from the wreck. i started a screw in the right (damaged) side and tried to pull on the screw a little to get the threads closer to the end of the handlebar like the other side was.

Thats when i ended up with an "oh crap" look on my face. The silver bar inside the handlebar came out, popped out some little retainer ring and a rubber washer out and now i have no idea if i just screwed something up. I pushed the little silver bar back in, but when i tried to get that little retainer ring back on, it doesnt want to fit around the silver bar (there are no notches)

Please see pictures and let me know what i should do. Thanks in advance for any help!

Name:  bar2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  bar1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  70.2 KB
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Mike, check out this exploded view,( http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...P_BRIDGE_01-05 ) maybe it'll shed some light for ya. Hope it helps, haven't had to pull mine yet so can't give ya any details there other than the whole assembly is actually a vibration damper.
Good luck
Old 09-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stebbdt
Mike, check out this exploded view,( http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...P_BRIDGE_01-05 ) maybe it'll shed some light for ya. Hope it helps, haven't had to pull mine yet so can't give ya any details there other than the whole assembly is actually a vibration damper.
Good luck

Thank you for that, it does help!

I think i figured out that one part is missing. If you look at #8, the beveled part at the right end of the bar isnt there. the bar is just solid at the end. i must be missing about 1/2 inch of the end of #8. THAT must be what the retaining ring clips onto. DOH!

Thank you again, and off to ebay i go!

Last edited by Mike996; 09-17-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: im retarded
Old 09-17-2009, 06:52 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
From your description I'd guess the end of your bar weight is broken off. It usually happens when the bike gets dropped and the bar end hits the ground.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:53 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
And from looking at the pic that's what looks like happened
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
yea they are known to do that...

mine did it on the right too, basically bike goes down, the bar end doesnt break off, the aluminium internals break off with the bar end.

i was lucky that i still had thread left so i just countersunk the bar end deeper so the bolt catches the threads and its been good since.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I'm swapping to apex clip-on risers right now, and I "assumed" that I would be able to re-use the stock bar weights. I got the bar-end weight off just fine, but the parts up inside the bar (parts 8,10,11, and 12 in the Ron Ayers fiche) are not coming out of the stock bar. Is there a trick to getting this out? Is mine just stuck?

And then, assuming I can ever get it out, does anybody know if I could re-use the weights in the Apex clip-ons? The Apex clip-on bar is completely hollow.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by evines
I'm swapping to apex clip-on risers right now, and I "assumed" that I would be able to re-use the stock bar weights. I got the bar-end weight off just fine, but the parts up inside the bar (parts 8,10,11, and 12 in the Ron Ayers fiche) are not coming out of the stock bar. Is there a trick to getting this out? Is mine just stuck?

And then, assuming I can ever get it out, does anybody know if I could re-use the weights in the Apex clip-ons? The Apex clip-on bar is completely hollow.
You have to take the retaining ring out first, then try feeding the screw back in a little and yanking it out with some pliers. You'll see why you were having a hard time getting it out once it's out.

They should be reusable if the new bars are the same diameter (7/8" I believe).
Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I got the weights out. I couldn't get the clip out, so I pulled really hard and lubed it up, and the whole thing popped out in one piece (weight and all). And it fit in the Apex bars perfectly.