SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Help! My bar end is jacked! I think... maybe.. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/help-my-bar-end-jacked-i-think-maybe-20193/)

Mike996 09-16-2009 03:58 PM

Help! My bar end is jacked! I think... maybe..

2 Attachment(s)
I got some bar ends in the mail today and went to install them.

When i got the bike, the stock right side bar end was missing because previous owner laid the bike down, and never replaced it. I looked over the bar ends, noticed the notch and went to line it up and screw it in.... hmmm the screw they sent isnt long enough.... or is it???

I went to the left side, unscrewed that one and noticed that the threaded portion was much closer to the end of the handlebar than the other side. That one screwed in... but i could only tighten it so far before the whole bar end started spinning. Is this normal?

I rolled back the grip, and some plastic opaque pieces fell out. im guessing from the wreck. i started a screw in the right (damaged) side and tried to pull on the screw a little to get the threads closer to the end of the handlebar like the other side was.

Thats when i ended up with an "oh crap" look on my face. The silver bar inside the handlebar came out, popped out some little retainer ring and a rubber washer out and now i have no idea if i just screwed something up. I pushed the little silver bar back in, but when i tried to get that little retainer ring back on, it doesnt want to fit around the silver bar (there are no notches)

Please see pictures and let me know what i should do. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachment 28589

Attachment 28590

stebbdt 09-16-2009 05:10 PM

Mike, check out this exploded view,( http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...P_BRIDGE_01-05 ) maybe it'll shed some light for ya. Hope it helps, haven't had to pull mine yet so can't give ya any details there other than the whole assembly is actually a vibration damper.
Good luck

Mike996 09-17-2009 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by stebbdt (Post 235333)
Mike, check out this exploded view,( http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...P_BRIDGE_01-05 ) maybe it'll shed some light for ya. Hope it helps, haven't had to pull mine yet so can't give ya any details there other than the whole assembly is actually a vibration damper.
Good luck

Thank you for that, it does help!

I think i figured out that one part is missing. If you look at #8, the beveled part at the right end of the bar isnt there. the bar is just solid at the end. i must be missing about 1/2 inch of the end of #8. THAT must be what the retaining ring clips onto. DOH!

Thank you again, and off to ebay i go!

captainchaos 09-17-2009 06:52 PM

From your description I'd guess the end of your bar weight is broken off. It usually happens when the bike gets dropped and the bar end hits the ground.

captainchaos 09-17-2009 06:53 PM

And from looking at the pic ;) that's what looks like happened

Red_Liner740 09-18-2009 12:20 AM

yea they are known to do that...

mine did it on the right too, basically bike goes down, the bar end doesnt break off, the aluminium internals break off with the bar end.

i was lucky that i still had thread left so i just countersunk the bar end deeper so the bolt catches the threads and its been good since.

evines 11-09-2010 08:03 AM

I'm swapping to apex clip-on risers right now, and I "assumed" that I would be able to re-use the stock bar weights. I got the bar-end weight off just fine, but the parts up inside the bar (parts 8,10,11, and 12 in the Ron Ayers fiche) are not coming out of the stock bar. Is there a trick to getting this out? Is mine just stuck?

And then, assuming I can ever get it out, does anybody know if I could re-use the weights in the Apex clip-ons? The Apex clip-on bar is completely hollow.

poppazuti 11-09-2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by evines (Post 286182)
I'm swapping to apex clip-on risers right now, and I "assumed" that I would be able to re-use the stock bar weights. I got the bar-end weight off just fine, but the parts up inside the bar (parts 8,10,11, and 12 in the Ron Ayers fiche) are not coming out of the stock bar. Is there a trick to getting this out? Is mine just stuck?

And then, assuming I can ever get it out, does anybody know if I could re-use the weights in the Apex clip-ons? The Apex clip-on bar is completely hollow.

You have to take the retaining ring out first, then try feeding the screw back in a little and yanking it out with some pliers. You'll see why you were having a hard time getting it out once it's out.

They should be reusable if the new bars are the same diameter (7/8" I believe).

evines 11-09-2010 04:29 PM

Thanks. I got the weights out. I couldn't get the clip out, so I pulled really hard and lubed it up, and the whole thing popped out in one piece (weight and all). And it fit in the Apex bars perfectly.