Hello, new to the site

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Hello, new to the site

Hello all.

I'm new to the site.

I'm in the market for a street bike, and I'm rather taken by the Superhawk/Firestorm.

I've joined the site for input from those who own them.

I rode a friends CBR F4i, and found it to cramped. Rode a GSXR 1000, felt nice, ergonomically. Another friend owns a VFR800i, sat on it and it felt nice. BTW, I'm 6'2 and about 225 pounds.

I stumbled across a Superhawk in the local for sale ads, hadn't looked at them, but was taken by it.

Ergonomically, is this a good bike for someone my size? It appears to be similar to the VFR. I wouldn't mind having a VFR, but their owners seem to think that they are worth their weight in gold for resale. From what I've read so far, I don't think that I'd mind having a VTR either.

Any comments or questions are welcomed, I'm here to learn from you all, who have and are riding the Superhawk/Firestorm.

Thanks in advance!

Erik
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!

The Superhawk has one flaw in its ergo package, and that's the width of the clip-ons. Other riders seem to be ok with it, but I had to really squeeze my arms into my sides to get a grip on the grips. Any extended amount of riding had my girly wrists crying out in pain. I threw on a set of Heli bars that completely alleviated the problem.

The stock suspension will be a bit soft for riders of our size (6' 235#). But it's only apparent when you're riding hard in the canyons or at the track.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
I am new to the Superhawk as well. Put on about 700 miles in the past month. Coming from a I4, the Superhawk is a bit of a different animal. Just seems like more fun or bang for your buck than the generic 600's or in my opinion over the top 1000's (I know that I could not manage 140+ hp on my daily commute.....). As far as the ergos, about your size 6' 230#....I do need to stretch my legs after 1/2 hour or so, but other than that super comfortable bike.....plus you get the oppurtunity to rest up every 120-140 miles anyhow......yeah the mileage sucks.....but who really cares?

Good luck in finding a Superhawk. I found mine on craigslist...'98 with 5800 miles, just couldn't pass it up.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Back Marker

98honda is on a distinguished road
welcome, the super hawk is a nice bike.. lots of power in any gear, and is very quik also..
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
welcome!
Old 11-03-2007, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've owned numerous VFR/VTR's and the VFR is roomier. It's more of an ST (sport tourer) while the VTR is more sport oriented. Both are seriously fun, great bikes but with slightly different missions that can easily overlap.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 AM
SuperBike

Thanks guys for the welcomes and the inputs. I should have the money next week. I've found a 2001 Superhawk with 1,100 MILES, for $2800. Yes you read that right. I can't touch a VFR like that.

I've been looking at the aftermarket stuff that is available for the VTR, would the Gilles Adj. Rearsets help with the roominess?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
I've found a 2001 Superhawk with 1,100 MILES, for $2800. Yes you read that right.
Has it ever been downed or has any mechanical problems? Just wondering because if not.....great find on your part!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:23 PM
SuperBike

Talked to the owner, once so far. Never down. Bought as a leftover in 2004. He rode it the first year he had it, and has since gotten busy and it has sat.

Hopefully, it is not gone before I get the money. IF it is, I also found a 2003 with 3200 miles on it for $3500. Blue micorn pipes on it too.

Just saving those pennies, hopefully I pick up one of them in the next week.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:24 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
03 is the fastest year
Old 11-03-2007, 01:31 PM
SuperBike

So Drew, how much faster? We're talking $700 and 2,100 miles. The 01 is red and 03 is blue. I'm not partial to either.

How much faster? Anything else better or worse?
Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
One difference between '01 and '03 is the speedo cluster, the '02s and later have LCD display for temp/fuel and also has a clock (in military time). Supposedly the '02s and later also have a more advanced timing curve so you don't need to add the Factory Pro +4 degree unit to get a little more power. Not sure exactly what year they changed the regulator/rectifier but my '02 and the later ones are finned for better cooling and less failures.

My '02 is red but of all the colors available I like the blue from '03 the best.

Welcome aboard!

So Drew, how much faster? We're talking $700 and 2,100 miles. The 01 is red and 03 is blue. I'm not partial to either.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

Thanks for the info Rick.

I went back and re-read Blings comments. That is exactly what i was hoping ot hear, that the Superhawk can cross over into the Sport Touring a little bit. I just finished reading your thread about putting a VFR Tank onto a VTR.

The more I read on here, the more I get excited about the Superhawk. Not the stoopid kind of fast like the other Liter Bikes, but lots of fun and more comfortable.

Thanks again guys.

Erik
Old 11-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

He's just messing with you...... It's kind of common around here. If you pull the dyno chats from the reviews you'll see the bikes follow the common trend of the first year or two making a bit more power but I doubt you would really notice that much of a difference.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Superstock

trinity012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
He's just messing with you...... It's kind of common around here. If you pull the dyno chats from the reviews you'll see the bikes follow the common trend of the first year or two making a bit more power but I doubt you would really notice that much of a difference.
Hi welcome aboard Erik, and yes 8541 Hawk is right about Drew 14, he just messed around w/you. But true are some VTR S-Hawk does performed better in torqs and hps (dont remember exactly which year from 98 to 05) because of special kind of Oils and Tires that Honda equip VTR S-hawk. And those Vtr ONLY apply to 98 to 05 of special yellow color, do more research from this forum about them, yet most of members of this forum are very nice and knowledge about S-Hawk. I recommend: jetting problem contact (Greg N our Admin), brake issue (Killer 5280), tires pref (Kickchicken), rear susp (Superbling), oils pref (Nuhawk), exhaust mod (Thumper), front suspend mod (Slowhawk) and wheel of choice Marchesini ask me. Ride safe and have fun
Old 11-04-2007, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

Trinity, how does the saying go? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!"

There is a Yellow for sale in the area for a reasonably good price. My friend with a yellow VFR would get a kick out of it. He claims that the Yellow VFRs (2000) are faster than the other colors.

Thanks for the advice on the particular contacts and their specialties, that is good info.

I am sure that after I purchase the bike I will have lots of specific questions.

So far in my reading, I've learned that VFR Clip-ons are an excellent upgrade. SS brake lines are almost a required upgrade to improve front braking. A VFR gas tank will fit with some mods, and the aftermarket tanks are way expensive.

Not done reading yet.

Erik
Old 11-04-2007, 12:57 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I think he's right. 03 is fastest because of the special kind of oil they poured on the tires. front end mod, slip ons, et cetera, et cetera.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Be careful...

I lurked on this board for a while debating on getting a VFR,GSXR,CBR,FZ1 or VTR. Found an amazing yellow SH in the classifieds section and it was a matter of two weeks and I had mine.

I love this bike. I had almost made a decision to buy a FZ1 when I saw the ad. I like the I4 engines and they have their place but I like the torque and sound of the twin. Plus I like the reliability of the Honda. I'm 6' 225lbs and have had knee surgery, back surgery, and carpel tunnel in both wrists. I don't have any problems riding the Hawk from gas pump to gas pump. It does have bar spacers. I ride 45 mins one way to work and sometimes take an hour ride at lunch to hit the Natchez Trace. The stock seat isn't perfect but not bad.

If you hang around long enough here, you might be a permanent fixture...

Good luck finding your bike.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:46 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by newb007
Be careful...

I lurked on this board for a while debating on getting a VFR,GSXR,CBR,FZ1 or VTR. Found an amazing yellow SH in the classifieds section and it was a matter of two weeks and I had mine.

I love this bike. I had almost made a decision to buy a FZ1 when I saw the ad. I like the I4 engines and they have their place but I like the torque and sound of the twin. Plus I like the reliability of the Honda. I'm 6' 225lbs and have had knee surgery, back surgery, and carpel tunnel in both wrists. I don't have any problems riding the Hawk from gas pump to gas pump. It does have bar spacers. I ride 45 mins one way to work and sometimes take an hour ride at lunch to hit the Natchez Trace. The stock seat isn't perfect but not bad.

If you hang around long enough here, you might be a permanent fixture...

Good luck finding your bike.
Unknowingly, you just sold me on the VTR for good. SImilar height/weight, and you say it's comfortable after the listed surgeries....Yeah, I'm sold. I already knew I wanted a "V".

Thanks Newb007.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
See?! I we told ya didn't we?

Feel the power of the dark side... erhm... the Twin... thats it...!