General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

heat question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
heat question

will putting a sharkskinz lower fairing on my bike, affect the way it is cooled? i mean obviously not the air flowing into the radiators which will be unaffected, but i mean airflow from underneath and the sides below the fairing. my shawk tends to run on the hot side so i dont wanna reduce airflow. but i do wanna go for that full faired look. thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
A full lower will potentially come close to the exhaust headers, so it will need hi-temp insulation matting to protect the fairing from melting.

my shawk tends to run on the hot side
Where on the temp gauge does yours run when warmed up? Does it get hot in stop/start traffic in summer? Does the fan cut in okay? Have you serviced the coolant system?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Back Marker

twinman is on a distinguished road
I had one on mine. it did seem to run a litttle cooler without it, not a real big difference though.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I have one on my bike and have never had a over heating problem. In 100F hear the bike was on the 3/4 mark of the gauge while in city tragic and back the the 1/2 mark while riding.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Squid

Salieb76 is on a distinguished road
Same here with KCCO. I have the same lower and haven't noticed any real difference. I added extra heat tape to the bottom and wrapped the header for added protection. You should be good!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
okay thanks for the input. always appreciate the input and help of everyone on here. always steers me in the right direction.

Wicky: my temp gauge while riding at speed seems to be on the 1/4 mark. when im around town it usually gets up to slightly past the halfway mark, which is when the fan kicks on, and it gets there especially quick on hot days. not sure what normal is for shawks but seems like it runs hotter than other bikes ive had/ridden.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
okay thanks for the input. always appreciate the input and help of everyone on here. always steers me in the right direction.

Wicky: my temp gauge while riding at speed seems to be on the 1/4 mark. when im around town it usually gets up to slightly past the halfway mark, which is when the fan kicks on, and it gets there especially quick on hot days. not sure what normal is for shawks but seems like it runs hotter than other bikes ive had/ridden.
That is entirely normal... Even lower than the average really, as I'd say normal riding is between 1/4 and 1/2, in town between 1/2 and 3/4...