General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hawk Died

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Squid

mad342 is on a distinguished road
Hawk Died

I am fairly new to this bike as I just bought it a few weeks ago. I have been riding it back and fourth around town and such, no long trips. It has run like a top with no problems what so ever. However today on the way home it just died. No dash lights, nothing. Fuses in the small black block are all ok. Battery reads 12.7V and appears fairly new. Checked the ground to the engine, tight. Dash is dead? Could it be the ignition switch?

I'm stumped!!

Any help would help.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check the main 30amp fuse beside the starter relay. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight as they can vibrate loose.

On a reliability note: If you have an unfinned R/R fitted on VTRs before 2001, replace it with an upgrade finned one or MOSFET type before it cooks itself.

Firestorm / SuperHawk (VTR1000F) Regulator Rectifier Modification

Last edited by Wicky; 04-22-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky
Check the main 30amp fuse beside the starter relay. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight as they can vibrate loose.

On a reliability note: If you have an unfinned R/R fitted on VTRs before 2001, replace it before it cooks itself.

Firestorm / SuperHawk (VTR1000F) Regulator Rectifier Modification

no matter what condition your bike is in.. even if it is not the r/r and its the battery or whatever else... replace the r/r.. tweety has a very nice thread/write up explaining differences.. as an electrician in the union, mosfet is worth the upgrade.. do not get a later version, it is not much of an improvement.. for 100-150$ u are saving urself any hardship in the future.. along with replacing the cct's to manual, no matter what year or bike anyone has, i would recommend those 2 for future headaches/major problems...

Shane
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Squid

It's the 30A fuse!!!

Now what makes that go? I have always been told that fuses don't go for nothing. Suggestions?

Didn't mean to post too early but was all beside myself!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Squid

So just find a R/R from a 2000 R1 off eBay and wire up as described? I am mechanically inclined, but hate electrical.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

icepick is on a distinguished road
It's a gamble getting one off eBay unless from a seller of only new parts. Junkyard or part-outs might be burned up, and most don't take a return on an electrical part.

I picked up a kit from these guys:

Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

They have videos and all on their site, and real people on he phone if you don't know what to order. I found them as a seller on eBay, and while the price was the same as on the website, several of their auctions had free shipping - save $5.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by icepick
It's a gamble getting one off eBay unless from a seller of only new parts. Junkyard or part-outs might be burned up, and most don't take a return on an electrical part.

They have videos and all on their site, and real people on he phone if you don't know what to order. I found them as a seller on eBay, and while the price was the same as on the website, several of their auctions had free shipping - save $5.

That's where I got mine
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Squid

So, swapped in a brand new unadultered 30A fuse. Poof...another blown fuse. I am planning on ordering the R/R tonight, but anyone have any other ideas? Was just riding down smooth development street about 20MPH when it died, ran perfect until then...I'm stumped
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So it poofed as you put it in or did other stuff happen? Like you trying to turn on or start the bike. Put in fuse and poof sounds unlikely.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So it poofed as you put it in or did other stuff happen? Like you trying to turn on or start the bike. Put in fuse and poof sounds unlikely.
That is exactly what happened. Key was not even in the bike.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mad342
That is exactly what happened. Key was not even in the bike.
Disconnect the R/R and try again... If the fuse doesn't blow, replace R/R... If the fuse still goes poof, you have adamaged wire somewhere shorting the battery out...
Old 04-28-2013, 11:53 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

Well, on a Mosfet R/R it's really not a gamble as they have a service life that well extends beyond yours... Either it's DOA, or it's fine, nothing in between...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Disconnect the R/R and try again... If the fuse doesn't blow, replace R/R... If the fuse still goes poof, you have adamaged wire somewhere shorting the battery out...
I did this quick this morning before work. Fuse didn't blow and I have lights and everything seems fine. Will leave it alone now until I get my new R/R. Guess now I will move on to the fork springs and valves this weekend.

Thank you everyone!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Squid

Bought a used R1 R/R off eBay for $30 and put it on in few min...problem solved! Fired right up!!!

Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, on a Mosfet R/R it's really not a gamble as they have a service life that well extends beyond yours... Either it's DOA, or it's fine, nothing in between...
It is a complete gamble, for exactly the reasons you cite. Mosfet R/R's do blow up, I have one in my garage right now. When they do blow up, some people have zero regrets about taking your money for a dead one on eBay. If a bike's electrical system was compromised in a wreck, someone parting it out may not even know it is bad. My experience is that most breakers don't refund on electrical parts - get a bad one, tough luck.

Glad it worked out for the OP. Can't say I haven't rolled the dice before myself, just for the economy of it. Gotta love a cheap fix, and you've just corrected one of the very few out-of-the box faults on the SuperHawk!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Squid

Yeah, I knew it was a gamble, but hey now I have an extra $100 bucks for something else. I love it when a plan comes together!!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, I think that was an ok gamble. I did the same thing on an r1 unit.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
It is a complete gamble, for exactly the reasons you cite. Mosfet R/R's do blow up, I have one in my garage right now. When they do blow up, some people have zero regrets about taking your money for a dead one on eBay. If a bike's electrical system was compromised in a wreck, someone parting it out may not even know it is bad. My experience is that most breakers don't refund on electrical parts - get a bad one, tough luck.
Sure there is a chance of a Bad R/R from a R1 used... about the same chance as being hit by lightning while walking to the mailbox to pick up that overpriced kit from the ebay retailer.. But hey, if buying overpriced kits put together and marketed to folks that can not assemble the simplest of components (used R/R, wire and a plug) to install a Shindengen Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier then, well...... ahh, yup, that kit is a great idea
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Sure there is a chance of a Bad R/R from a R1 used... about the same chance as being hit by lightning while walking to the mailbox to pick up that overpriced kit from the ebay retailer.. But hey, if buying overpriced kits put together and marketed to folks that can not assemble the simplest of components (used R/R, wire and a plug) to install a Shindengen Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier then, well...... ahh, yup, that kit is a great idea
Like I said - I have a crapped out R1 Mosfet from ebay sitting in my garage right now. There IS a chance of getting a toasted one from an unscrupulous seller on eBay.

Guess I'm safe in thunderstorms for the rest of my life?

The fact is, there IS risk in buying used parts from eBay. For me, paying 3x what a used part of dubious origin costs to get a brand-new item from a reliable merchant that backs his product is worth it. I can understand that others may not be in a financial position to do this, but given the choice I prefer the peace of mind from NEW electronic components. I'd hate to give someone advice to get one on eBay and find that they got a bad one, assumed their electrical issue was something else because the bike behaved the same way after changing the part, and spent a bunch of time and/or money chasing a problem that could have been solved already.

To each his own.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM
MotoGP

Icepick, for sure it is risky doing the ebay electrics thing. The one thing I can think of is the black box (ICU) for my 98. New its horrificly expensive, but I bought it on ebay for like $75 (vs I think $500).

I contacted the seller and said I would return it if it didnt work, he was fine with it. That was like 8 yrs ago. So yeah, there is risk but some electric stuff doesnt get touched on a bike that gets totaled for a rashed frame.

Plus on sportbikes, alot are terminated young due to inept riders, so TONS of like new parts, unlike an old car.