Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Hawk died. Runs real rough when started

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Squid

chknfrdstk
Hawk died. Runs real rough when started

I was on my way home from work last night and had a few issues. My '98 Hawk started fine and ran good for the first 1/4 mile or so when I left. Then the oil light came on because it died (which frequently happens when I'm riding). Normally when this happens I can restart the bike while I'm rolling and continue on my marry way...but not this time. After coasting into a parking lot I tried to start it again...low battery. I waited about 5 minutes to give the battery sometime to charge itself. When I got the bike started again it didn't want to idle (which it does when it's cold). Finally when I got going again I started hearing a funny noise (kindof a rattling sound) and I had no power (I could gun it and go nowhere). Then it died again and there I sat for 2 hours waiting on a ride. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:22 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I hate to say it but the rattling noise could be the cam chain tensioner or CCT letting go which causes valve damage in most cases. You can do a search on CCT, cam chain tensioner , etc on the site for more info. I haven't had the problem so I cannot comment on how to check if this is the problem or not. The noise you mentioned is a common symptom of the problem from what I have read. If you just jumped a tooth or two you may not have the bent valves yet.... I would say don't run it until you check out the cam chains.

Hopefully it turns out to be something much simpler and cheaper for you!

Rick B
02 SH

Originally Posted by chknfrdstk
I was on my way home from work last night and had a few issues. My '98 Hawk started fine and ran good for the first 1/4 mile or so when I left. Then the oil light came on because it died (which frequently happens when I'm riding). Normally when this happens I can restart the bike while I'm rolling and continue on my marry way...but not this time. After coasting into a parking lot I tried to start it again...low battery. I waited about 5 minutes to give the battery sometime to charge itself. When I got the bike started again it didn't want to idle (which it does when it's cold). Finally when I got going again I started hearing a funny noise (kindof a rattling sound) and I had no power (I could gun it and go nowhere). Then it died again and there I sat for 2 hours waiting on a ride. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Squid

chknfrdstk
OK...So what do I need to do to check it. I'd like to check this out on my own with out having to take it to a mech. I'd rather spend the money on parts and do the work myself.