General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VTR1000 for $2000?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Back Marker

Chrisguilday is on a distinguished road
VTR1000 for $2000?

I might be going to pick up this VTR1000 for $2000 tomorrow morning. Year 2000.

It has 30k miles, and the guy says he's not sure but he thinks it might be running a little rich. Other then that he says it's perfect.

Also, are there supposed to be front side fairings on the vtr 1000? I don't think his has any.

Is this a good deal?

Here's a few pics.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
where is this bike located? yes.. it looks like a very clean bike, and ur frame looks like it is either painted or power coated.. i think it looks more painted, but it looks nice, has an exhaust kit. what year? that is custom paint job, the tank has no marking, should have firestorm or superhawk, so not sure if difference fairing or aftermarket, stock seat, stock rear, stock rear suspension... for 2k that looks like a good deal if bike was maintained.. i got mine for 2200 and had 34k miles(54k km) if its in km, was european(firestorm( if its in mph, its a superhawk.. i have alot of tdc to do , have put alot of work into.. but me and alot of good members on here will help you thru it, to do basic stuff, and we would love another member!!! any questions just ask on forums, i am no expert, i have alot to learn, but as far as i've learned that bike has had work done to it, exhaust alone is 500-800, i cannot tell if the headers are stock or not... good luck!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Back Marker

Shane702 is on a distinguished road
if u were close to vegas, or any other member was close to you, i would help you no problem.. if it is running rich, you will have no problem getting into carbs with the write ups and helps from these members, before my hawk 6 months ago, never known a bike, now i have taken carbs, and entire bike apart multiple times, learned alot... if i can do it, so can anyone!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Back Marker

I am pretty sure I can figure the carbs out myself. I owned a yzf600r (First bike) before that needed a lot of love. Learned how to do pretty much every thing. Changed spark plugs, synced carbs, adjusted a/f, cleaned carbs, changed tires, etc...

I've rebuilt top ends on dirt bikes and so on. I always buy project bikes and try to learn and fix them up. I bought my first dirt bike at age 16 (I am 18 now) and I like to work on my own stuff. Getting ripped off at a dealership is a no go for me.

The rich problem isn't a worry of mine. I really hope I get the bike. I am about $300 short and he won't budge even a penny. Probably just go down to amscot and get a quick loan until payday.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Sounds a bit dear - get a test ride for sure and give the bike a thorough inspection. Look for signs of crash damage as this is often why folk streetfighter bikes. Scrapes on engine casings, bent levers, footpeg hangers, filler, and glassfibre reinforcement on bodywork (look on the inside of the bodywork). Take a magnet to the tank and see if that has any dents filled and hidden under the paint.

Knock points of if consumables are worn or look as if they need attention - brakes, tires, C&S & fluids (are they clear or dirty coloured). Has he receipts for parts/work done./servicing?

Check if it has standard imploding CCTs or if they have been replaced with failsafe Manual versions. R/R is at self-cooking early unfinned one or a later upgraded finned version. If not haggle him down as these are standard mods to ensure reliability.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
It's been painted and fairings are missing... likely it's been laid down. Even the exhaust cans are painted it looks like. Check the head tube area for cracks (where the front fairings mount to the front of the frame).

It honestly doesn't look like that great of a paint job... look at the rads and the smoked taillight. I'll assume the front windscreen and gas cap are rattle canned as well. Just thoroughly look, make sure the paint isn't hiding something worse.

Last edited by 7moore7; 04-26-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Color scheme itself is pretty cool, though, and it seems some effort was made in trimming the front fairing.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
For 2500 you can get a clean low mileage Hawk that needs nothing. That thing is way overpriced. Even if you do everything yourself you'll drop 1000+ just to get it looking decent (fairings/paint/maintenance since you don't know history).
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
you can tell it was laid down or dropped by the scuffs on the clutch lever, most likely and slow low side or a drop in the garage. but someone did take alot of time to trim the fairings and make them look decent and even.

in my opinion the cans look more like the were done with bedliner.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
Yes, overpriced. Also, "running rich" was my bike. It turned out to be a torn petcock diaphragm. The bike always smelled of gas. Seems like a somewhat common problem. I picked mine up in OK fair shape for significantly less at the end of last season, but it did need some work
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by bostonhawk
Yes, overpriced. Also, "running rich" was my bike. It turned out to be a torn petcock diaphragm. The bike always smelled of gas. Seems like a somewhat common problem. I picked mine up in OK fair shape for significantly less at the end of last season, but it did need some work
Hey, by the way I ended up buying the bike for $1600 and looks like I have the exact same problem as yours. The idle issue and every thing. Except mine seems to be a little worst. Initially thought my choke valve thing was broken (cable that screws into the carb for the choke) But turns out it is look like its my fuel petcock. New one is on the way.

You said your bike turned off one time at high way riding and you pulled over? Then started it back up again? Mine does this except it happens within about 5 minutes of riding. Vacuum diaphragm is warped and I guess isn't creating enough vacuum for gas to flow into the bike when its under a decent amount of throttle. Bike will idle / go low speed forever.

Just thought I'd let you know as I think its funny that we had the same issue. Also our bikes have the same mileage. You aren't the guy I bought the bike from are you? Haha.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
I am glad you found the problem - it's an easy enough fix and makes for a very different bike :-)
My fuel economy improved by about 20% as well. Mine is a 1998 ;-)
Old 05-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by bostonhawk
I am glad you found the problem - it's an easy enough fix and makes for a very different bike :-)
My fuel economy improved by about 20% as well. Mine is a 1998 ;-)
Yeah mines a 1998 too. The guy said his wife posted the AD and put the wrong date.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
At $1600 you've done good. By the way the cans look like a set of StainTunes, I have them and that looks like them! If so you made out even better!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
At $1600 you've done good......
Read his OTHER thread before you pronounce a job well done. Petcock shot, leaking exhaust pipes, carbs need rebuild and I'm sure that's just the start.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Read his OTHER thread before you pronounce a job well done. Petcock shot, leaking exhaust pipes, carbs need rebuild and I'm sure that's just the start.
I think my carbs are OK. Might need to adjust floats. But they looked good when I took them apart.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM
SuperBike

Floats are non-adjustable. Did you read the service manual?
Do you have the service manual?

Page 5-13

Last edited by RWhisen; 05-06-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Name:  popcorn.gif
Views: 171
Size:  2.9 KBName:  popcorn2.gif
Views: 175
Size:  12.8 KBName:  popcorn.gif
Views: 171
Size:  2.9 KBName:  popcorn2.gif
Views: 175
Size:  12.8 KB
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
SuperBike

These carbs are your dealio Mike! You're the resident expert.....
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

Well crap. No I don't have the service manual. Didn't know you couldn't adjust the floats. I just assumed you could as I have done it before on other carbs.

So if my float bowls overflowed when my petcock was broken, but they didn't overflow when it wasn't broken, does that mean I still need to replace / rebuild the carbs?

Last edited by Chrisguilday; 05-06-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
SuperBike

Look in the Knowledge Base section to download your service manual.

Originally Posted by Chrisguilday
......Didn't know you couldn't adjust the floats. I just assumed you could as I have done it before on other carbs.

So if my float bowls overflowed when my petcock was broken, but they didn't overflow when it wasn't broken, does that mean I still need to replace / rebuild the carbs?
Probably need it anyway.

Last edited by RWhisen; 05-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Look in the Knowledge Base section to download your service manual.

Probably need it anyway.
Ok thanks.