General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Have pannier mounts ever been made?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Squid

Windchill is on a distinguished road
Arrow Have pannier mounts ever been made?

Now that my 05 has been Superbike-bar'd(Thanks Cliby) it gives a very accommodating riding position for 500 mile days. I am going to contact a local fabrication shop to see if they can create a pannier rack for my SHawk. Using the passenger peg mounts and the rear of the subframe with a connecting rail above the license plate. Does anyone know if this has been successfully done before? And if pictures exist of this mythical beast? I don't care about tank range and I don't care that this was intended as a sport bike; I just want this thing to be my go to streetbike. The Varadero is not available here and resale on these bikes is nearly as bad as my past Buell's; so it's a keeper! Info appreciated as I have exhausted the search function. WC
Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I would suggest adding a GIVI mono rack as the starting point.

I have one on my hawk, (which also has superbike bars installed) which I just wrecked.

NOTE WELL!! The bike high sided and ended upside down (wheels in the air) against a guardrail, sitting on the mirrors and the rack.

The rack was not damaged.

This rack would provide a mounting point for givi type plates.

Tom
ps. I also have an Adlo 34 liter top box. These are made in China and available for $80ish on eBay. An aquaintence on another list bought GIVI and both types of Chinese boxes currently available. He sold the GIVI's because he felt the others were equal in quality (better in some ways
Old 08-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Never seen that, but Corbin did make some fiberglass saddlebags for the Hawk that were ugly as hell. I did have some Vetter cordura saddlebags but they were a pain, now I use a big tank bag for my commute. Let's see some pictures when done!!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Squid

Tom, a top box is not gonna do it. I like the Givi stuff but I need hard panniers. I have seen nice racks for the FZ1, wonder if that company has any insight. Just picked up two more LOOONG weekend trips this month, hammer down on the fab work! WC
Old 08-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
http://www.ventura-bike.com/english/...fitment_id=188

Using their side/tail mounts as a base, you should be able to fab something up if you sacrafice the passenger pegs.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Squid

That is a nice start! I have, just this morning begun a quick fix for shorter trips. I drilled a 1/4 hole through the square tubing on either side of the subframe. Inserted a 4" eyebolt with the eye down and cut a bit of the mudguard away. Lashed my 80 litre widemouth, waterproof duffel with custom straps to the passenger pegs. Rock solid and ready to roll. I can fit my tent, sleep bag and pad, along with clothes for a week of moto-travel. I'll be testing the set-up tomorrow. Pics enroute. WC

Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Back Marker

Windchill

I understand that you want side boxes. What I'm saying is, the givi rack would make a good starting point for the side box mounts.

here's a site of how a friend of mine did it.
http://stilyagi.org/~kbecker/givi.html

This approach with two chinese boxes woulod "git er done"

There was one picture of a hawk with three piece luggage (givi) that I found a while back. It must have been custom, because
GIVI doesn't mention side mount kit for the hawk
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Hey Tom, would you mind telling me which Givi topcase rack you bought? There seems to be two choices and I have a Chinese top case already.... and I want to use the rack for it raterh then investing in a Givi top case. I found the two type here:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/812/515/
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If you are still wondering, I quickly adapted a givi wing rack I took off my cbr600. I can pop on 3 45 litre bags (2 full helmets in each) to take trips. Or any combo of givi monokey luggage. Sounds like a commertial but I ride year round & dont know how anyone does without them.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Smokinjoe, could you post some pics and state what year cbr600? If you have the PN of the givi components that would even be better! =)
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

OK, no problem, just tell me how to post pics ( or I can email you )
Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of this page. This will open a new page with the more advanced editor. Scroll down and you will see a "Manage Attachments" button. Max pic size is 90kB so you will most likely have to resize them. If you want me to do that for you just send them to me via email.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

I think I have it now. Here is the pic. I modified the tail fairing so 2 givi e21s can lanesplit as long as my mirrors fit. 2 e46s are wider but hold more for long trips
http://img42.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_780lo.jpg
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Also, you can use photobucket.com upload, then choose the option below the pic IMG code, copy and paste it in your message, and the pics will show up without others having to click a link...

Name:  KLR003.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  236.8 KB Like this

Sorry, couldn't help myself...LOL

But it is relevent, as I am thinking of doing this to my new bike...well, maybe not...but I could..LOL....

Good luck with the Hawk boxes...patent term...ok, maybe not, but it could be...LOL
Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 AM
Back Marker

1. The way smokin Joe trimmed the seat cowl mirrors my experience. I had to trim the seat cowl about 4 inches inward. I have yet to finish the cut the way Smokinjoe73 did. It looks good the way he did it.

2. There is conflicting testimony as to whether or not the J C Whitney large top box fits a GIVI mount. Some V-Strommers report it doesn't.

I know my "direct from China" box does. I KNOW THE MEDIUM size from JCW doesn't. I know the large boxes look the same. the mount tabs on my chinese mount plate and a
GIVI monorack are 8 7/8 in. apart, center to center.

Hope this helps

Tom