General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Harley time.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Harley time.

So I heard about a motorcycle rally being held about an hour from my house, called the Loess Hills Rally, well I heard on the radio they were holding a "Vtwin Shootout" This intrigued me. So I went online and saw that they are having a bracket dragstrip competition for twins. So I call to see what I need to do to enter.

Guy: "Snell Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, pants, a chain guard, no leaks and 30 bucks."
Me: "I have a Honda, is that alright?"
Guy: "No hondas, only V-twins."
Me: "...My honda IS a v-twin."
Guy: "Oh. I guess thats ok then. There's gonna be mostly harleys though..."
Me: "Oh, I don't think that will be a problem... "

here's the catch though, it's part beauty contest part race. you combine your points for overall winner. I'm not gonna win no beauty pageants, but I have no problem kicking 50 harleys' asses on the strip. Oh yeah and there are two classes, street bikes and I think they said prostock or something, so all slicks, wheelie bars, race gas etc go in the higher class. I cannot wait to spank these harleys. Although I guess I'd better learn to drag race before friday! Any tips? I'm only concerned about the launch, I always go easy on the launch on the street...

first place is a 150 smackaroos, so maybe I should get some chrome and some tassles so I have a shot :P

Seriously though, drag racing tips please! Lots of pics to come...
Old 09-09-2009, 04:01 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
May the force be with your.....and.. lean forward
Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
you gotta have someone bring a video camera and record some of the races, would be cool to see.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
practice and see if you can launch hard w/out flipping. I can't... lol! investigate a strap...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
First, try feathering the clutch on take off and do not pop it, front end will come right up and you lose time. Would not recommend getting any revs up until you have mastered rolling on the throttle. Second, make your shifts be complete every time before letting the clutch back out. Dont half *** shift and expect it to fix it self, that will lose time. Last, absolutely do not be over confident. You will make mistakes and they could be deadly. Also, some of those harleys can scoot off the line(thats all they are fast at)so be prepared with a good take off and dont expect to beat everyone of them even if it is embarassing when you lose. Practice and focusing will get your times lower. Have fun and dont come back wearing a bandana and some chaps
Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by t-dogg
First, try feathering the clutch on take off and do not pop it, front end will come right up and you lose time. Would not recommend getting any revs up until you have mastered rolling on the throttle. Second, make your shifts be complete every time before letting the clutch back out. Dont half *** shift and expect it to fix it self, that will lose time. Last, absolutely do not be over confident. You will make mistakes and they could be deadly. Also, some of those harleys can scoot off the line(thats all they are fast at)so be prepared with a good take off and dont expect to beat everyone of them even if it is embarassing when you lose. Practice and focusing will get your times lower. Have fun and dont come back wearing a bandana and some chaps
Like t-dogg said... The harleys are quick of the line... They have the low end grunt for that... Expect them to beat you the first part of the track... You have an engine more than willing to flip you (unlikely on a Harley based on the geometry...) and a big fat gob of torque a tad higher up in the revband than the Harleys... Eat them up when you get to that instead...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:40 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Good luck, don't wreck your bike for 150 bucks.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Squid

raptorrider is on a distinguished road
LAUNCH CAREFULLY

Have run the 1/8 mile strip at Mid America before. Best runs were achieved by leaning forward over tank, rpm's at 3000 with gradual clutch release. Short shifting at 8500 rpms were also faster. Practice shifting quickly helps as well. Remember gradual clutch out or you will do a monster wheelie, like my second run and give everybody a good laugh at you. Honestly, you will have a tough time catching the big v-twins in that short of distance, but your elasped speed on the slip will be higher. A quarter mile is where you would rule. Need more advice? Call me here in Fremont at 317-9494 MIKE
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Sometimes, I just don't get it.

No, I guess most of the time I don't get it.

If a kid invites you over for a swim when you're five years old but he is notorious for shitting in the pool before you get there - what's the incentive?

I don't hang with Harleys and I don't hang with drag strips. I wish I had pictures but it's been a long time ago - BTDT.

If you want to race me between my office and the bank - we might have a bet on the Superhawk. One tank full race for breakfast before noon - bring it - I won't be there. I ran out of gas 23 miles <<<< that way.

If you're pounding your equipment on the strip or the track it's probably less effective on the road. We don't want to see you pushing it up the hill to the next station nor do we want to leave you on the side when we have to.

The Superhawk is a very strong horse but if you're going to hammer it hard you have to take care of it. It will come back for more.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Good luck. Hope your clutch survives.

Oh, and don't trash talk any Harleys while you're in their playground.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I thought I said that.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
When you first get to the track, look for the burnout boxes with water in them at the front edge of each lane. usually there will be a dude with a hose addidng water to them between rounds. my advice would be DO NOT GO THROUGH THEM. Last thing you need is water on your steer tire and water dripping down from your rear undertail when youre trying to get the best traction possible. Drive around the waterbox. Slip the clutch out slow when you launch, and you shouldnt have any traction issues. They will probably have alot of VHT on the track which should give you alot better grip than you would from stoplight to stoplight.

In the regular class, youll probably have a standard tree. There are 2 staging lights at the top of the tree. Roll up slowly untill the top light comes on. When that one illumintes, stop, then slowly inch forward untill you see the second staging light come on, When that one lights up, you better be ready to go. The tree will start coming down when you and your opponent both have both sets of staging lights illuminted (and the guy working the tree pushes the button). Launch when you see the last yellow light illuminate. By the time your front tire crosses the beam, the green light will be on and you wont red light. Too many people wait for the green light and lose by that mistake. Look up some drag racing vids on youtube. you will see what i mean by the last yellow light. The pro class will probably use a pro tree, where all the yellow lights come on at once. you shouldnt have to deal with that.

If there is anything i can help ya with, let me know. I have several years behind the wheel of a race car and have made tons of passes down a track.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
LOL I got the same bullshit from Thunder Cycle when I wanted some custom swingarm welding done. "What kind of bike is it?" "What difference does it make, aluminum is aluminum, and my money spends just the same, it's a Honda." "We only work on V-twins." "Great! It IS a V-Twin, I'll be right over." "Ummmm..."

I think Harley's are great but some of the chopper knuckleheads need to me reminded they didn't invent the ******* V-twin or the motorcycle.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Squid

trevorh1 is on a distinguished road
i think you did say it was a bracket race right? so its not about being faster, its more about being consistent, you'll get tome time trials to get your average elapsed time, then you'll have a dial in, for your elemination rounds, and you want to have a dial in that you can run as close to as possible, but one good thing about being faster then most of those harleys, im sure you will be, even tho iv seen some pretty quick ones, your hawk will have a lot more MPH on the big end of the track which is good for catching up, and one more thing if you are ahead of them at the big end of the track try slackin off the gas a bit or riding the back brake so you dont go faster than your dial in. or you lose lol in a nutshell
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by trevorh1
i think you did say it was a bracket race right? so its not about being faster, its more about being consistent, you'll get tome time trials to get your average elapsed time, then you'll have a dial in,

Crap. i didnt see that when i read it the first time. Launch at the same RPMs, shift at the same rpms each time, and just try to be as consistent as possible. In bracket racing, he with the most power doesnt always win. ( to piggyback what Trevorh1 said)
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Superstock

Sorry guys, I got mixed up, for the big twin showdown, it's fastest time single pass. but I guess I get 3 runs. should be a good time. although I could never win overall, seeings how I can't win the beauty pageant lol
Old 09-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
don't forget to mount a bell to the oil pan to keep those road gremlins at bay! Oh wait, we ride honda. Nevermind!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by maverick
Sorry guys, I got mixed up, for the big twin showdown, it's fastest time single pass. but I guess I get 3 runs. should be a good time. although I could never win overall, seeings how I can't win the beauty pageant lol
Spank those posers!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
IMHO if you have never gone down a strip before you don't stand a shred of a chance at a bracket race. Nothing personal, but your times are going to vary wildly for the first SEVERAL passes. That is not at all conducive to bracket racing. I'd save the pride, tires and clutch and just keep it at the house...
Old 09-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Squid

danpierc is on a distinguished road
re. t-dogg..DITTO......some of those harley "street bikes have some pretty big build
to them!.......and you probably will NOT be getting a check for $150..a reality check
is, however, most likely.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by drew_c14
IMHO if you have never gone down a strip before you don't stand a shred of a chance at a bracket race. Nothing personal, but your times are going to vary wildly for the first SEVERAL passes. That is not at all conducive to bracket racing. I'd save the pride, tires and clutch and just keep it at the house...
Well I just said I was mistaken, it's not a bracket race, it's fastest single pass wins, and I get 3 passes.

But I get to go practice tomorrow, so I can get a few passes in before the competition.

So I've never actually seen a strap. They strap down the front end to compress the forks? If thats the case can I just use a ratcheting tie down?
Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Yeah, so one of my students was wearing a HD racing shirt with a pic of the XR750 on the back. He really didn't have a clue to what it was. I was disappointed.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Good luck! Stay up! Get some video for us!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Old trick, just as the lights start down,scream at your opponent "Hey you!" He looks over,misses the last light,you get the holeshot. Used to catch my buddy out all the time.Good luck.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Superstock

Well folks, I went to the track. It eventually got rained out so no harley stories... but I did make 4 or 5 passes, and learned a few things.

1. I can't launch. Period.
2. Bleed your clutch before you go to race, it's important.
3. No tach is much more detrimental than I thought it would be...

So other than miserable launches, short shifts and rev limiters, I had a ******* blast! I cannot wait to go back! I'm thinking about building a wheelie bar... that way I don't have to live with an extended swinger everyday... just throw on the wheelie bar when I go to the strip. Maybe that way I could launch without flipping...

For your sake I will post my miserable times for all to mock. I was on the right side everytime for some reason...

Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  132.9 KB
Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  64.9 KB

Btw I need a tach, anyone got one for sale?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Superstock

If youre shifting at the same RPM in every gear, you could get by with a shift light instead of a tach. Or a tach with a built in LED shift light. That way you dont have to take your eyes off the track to see what RPM youre at.

You guys had a pro tree???? Im surprised!

Anywho, glad you like the strip. I dont have the experience on my bike enough to take mine out there, but i think by this time next year ill give it a shot. Wait till you get on a 1/4 mile strip. That is a blast!