General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Im new here. No big deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Im new here. No big deal

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Mike. I was born and raised in Akron Ohio, but the Air Force decided they wanted me in Shreveport Louisiana. Served from 1997 to 2002. Decided the weather and food is a ton better down here, so i stayed. Im 32, and married with a 12 year old daughter. I like beers and stuff that goes fast... not together of course. I just traded my race car for a 2001 Superhawk with 1554 original miles. I knew i wanted a sportbike, but grew up with my dad having harleys... i wanted a mix of the two, and here i am. I have been lurking for a little bit trying to read up and bypass any newb questions. You guys have some sick bikes and i look forward to learning and BSing with you guys.

Oh, and for the record, i have had the bike less than 2 weeks and have already put 300 miles on it. (I look for any excuse to get on it)

*oh, we need milk? well i hear the freshest milk is 40 miles away in texas*

The pics are from the craigslist ad i before i got it. Ill try to ge some decent ones soon... (although im sure everyone here knows what a bone *** stock 2001 looks like....its MY bone *** stock 2001 Hawk!!!)

Name:  111.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  110.7 KB
Name:  222.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  135.6 KB
Name:  333.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  110.7 KB
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road

That is bone stock, with the billboard rear fender and everything. A Dremel will take care of cutting 5" off of that.

I see you're a fan of Jack Skellington. Enjoy the Torque.

If those tires are the stockers as well, you might want to consider replacing them since they would be pretty dried out and hard after 8 years.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 09-01-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Superstock

Yeah, the rear fender has to go. I feel like im driving the Griswald family truckster with that thing on there. I have been checkin on here and ebay for some remedies.
My wife and i both LOVE the nightmare before Christmas. Hence the Avatar.
Im an avid fan of torque. The mustang i traded for this put you right back in your seat with the quickness.
The tires are actually newer pieces. I noticed that there was a plug in the rear when i test drove it, so the seller bought a new one for a replacement, as well as a new battery.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

After some research on the forum, I went the easy way and cut off the bottom 5 inches, trashed the license holder and light and drilled 2 holes to fit the license plate tight up under the reflector and seat lock.

To light the plate I drilled two 3/8" holes about 2 inches apart in the flat bottom part of the tail light lens, then cut out the plastic between the holes, and glued clear plastic over the opening (I cut that from a piece of 2 x 4 drop-in ceiling light lens). Works great, very old school and legal.

And the rivets can be drilled out of those rear side reflectors easily too.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:11 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard Mike.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
welcome, enjoy the forum!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
After some research on the forum, I went the easy way and cut off the bottom 5 inches, trashed the license holder and light and drilled 2 holes to fit the license plate tight up under the reflector and seat lock.

To light the plate I drilled two 3/8" holes about 2 inches apart in the flat bottom part of the tail light lens, then cut out the plastic between the holes, and glued clear plastic over the opening (I cut that from a piece of 2 x 4 drop-in ceiling light lens). Works great, very old school and legal.

And the rivets can be drilled out of those rear side reflectors easily too.

my number plate lights are built into teh bottom of my standard light unit already O.o

im looking to do a tail tidy but the problem i have is that the seat lock is there so how will i open the seat if teh plate is covering it

anyway

welcome along Mike
Old 09-02-2009, 09:56 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the fray.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
She's a beauty! Welcome aboard!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
That's a good looking stocker there. Search the site to find tons of mods as we all have. Welcome. You have lots of homework.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Forde
my number plate lights are built into teh bottom of my standard light unit already O.o

im looking to do a tail tidy but the problem i have is that the seat lock is there so how will i open the seat if teh plate is covering it
I mounted the plate directly below the seat lock and reflector. I cut the rear fender do be the same size as the plate, so you don't see fender from the rear. The seat lock is fully accessible.

But here in the Colonies we have smaller plates than you guys "across the Pond".
Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Superstock

Thank you guys for the warm welcome!

If you look closely at the 1st picture, there is a small ding on the muffler, a scratch on the crank case cover and the handlebar end is missing. The guy i got it from said he dropped it at low speed, it scared him and thats why he had such low mileage on it.

I havent decided if im going to wait till the winter and do a whole undertail or trim the stock one. I like the moto (i think thats the one) version, but the signal lights are a tad small. I think thats all going to be a winter project though.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Welcome man, as a new comer I can say this board is great and will help out a lot. Go ahead and start searching Craigslist for a R6 or R1 R/R unit and knock that out when you have a free 2 hours.

Enjoy the bike, mine is stock also and I am in no hurry to start mod-ing anything yet, love the natural beauty!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I mounted the plate directly below the seat lock and reflector. I cut the rear fender do be the same size as the plate, so you don't see fender from the rear. The seat lock is fully accessible.

But here in the Colonies we have smaller plates than you guys "across the Pond".

aye theyre big im going to get a 7x5 made anyway

i guess ill have a space just for the lock but i really wanted it right up at the light. itll do til i get a proper undertray anyway.

@ mike996, proper undertray is teh way to go but you might as well trim the stock one for now anyway since its free and easy
Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
Welcome man, as a new comer I can say this board is great and will help out a lot. Go ahead and start searching Craigslist for a R6 or R1 R/R unit and knock that out when you have a free 2 hours.

Enjoy the bike, mine is stock also and I am in no hurry to start mod-ing anything yet, love the natural beauty!
+1 on getting a new reg rec and change your ccts too

these bikes are nice as stock but the one thing they NEED is exhausts the noise is awesome BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP lol
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
[quote=eersfanpilot;233584]Go ahead and start searching Craigslist for a R6 or R1 R/R unit and knock that out when you have a free 2 hours.[quote]

Or maybe not. We've come through the worst of the brutal heat of summer even if you're here in Texas. Circuit-Burner says they are like oil changes and tires so sooner or later you're going to do it. At 1500 miles you don't have a stocker - you have a virgin.

There are some pointers/advise/opinions that you might find interesting reading about how some members have broken their bikes in when new and after a rebuild.

After I bought my Superhawk I disappeared for about six weeks just learning where everything was in the knowledge base. I probly printed a ream of it. Mostly, these papers were handed to professional mechanics when I wanted something done. I never got a one back. They're that good and the people here are that willing to share.

You come from a great heritage of motorcycles to appreciate riding the Superhawk. You will enjoy it immensely. Welcome to the club!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Welcome! I like your avatar. The next time you head out to Texas for some milk, just ride another 4 hours and you will be out here in the Austin/ San Antonio area and we can go for a ride.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Someone get the new guy a vegemite sandwich..
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
[quote=Mike996;233578]the handlebar end is missing. quote]

I've got a pair of stock bar ends if you need/want.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Superstock

R/R unit.... hmmmm I guess i havent ran across what that or ccts are... looks like i have some reading to do tonight.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Superstock

[quote=nuhawk;233592][quote=eersfanpilot;233584]Go ahead and start searching Craigslist for a R6 or R1 R/R unit and knock that out when you have a free 2 hours.

Or maybe not. We've come through the worst of the brutal heat of summer even if you're here in Texas. Circuit-Burner says they are like oil changes and tires so sooner or later you're going to do it. At 1500 miles you don't have a stocker - you have a virgin.

There are some pointers/advise/opinions that you might find interesting reading about how some members have broken their bikes in when new and after a rebuild.

After I bought my Superhawk I disappeared for about six weeks just learning where everything was in the knowledge base. I probly printed a ream of it. Mostly, these papers were handed to professional mechanics when I wanted something done. I never got a one back. They're that good and the people here are that willing to share.

You come from a great heritage of motorcycles to appreciate riding the Superhawk. You will enjoy it immensely. Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the info! I know i have a ton of reading to catch up on. i did the same thing on a mustang forum when i went to rebuild my car, and still have binders full of info i got off there. (guess i should have gave that to the guy that now has my car) oh well....

Its been a minute since ive been on a forum so give me a bit to quote all these in one post lol. i cant remember at the moment...
Old 09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by k-d-williams
Welcome! I like your avatar. The next time you head out to Texas for some milk, just ride another 4 hours and you will be out here in the Austin/ San Antonio area and we can go for a ride.
Its kinda funny you mention that. We couldnt decide wether we wanted to go to N.B. or Galveston ( Schlitterbahn trip) but for whatever reason went to Galveston. That was before i realized that the one in N.B. was a much bigger park. Im supposed to go to austin for a few days for training, but im not sure of the dates yet.. ill definately let ya know... ill try to have them let me take my truck so i can bring the bike.

Originally Posted by Randman
Someone get the new guy a vegemite sandwich..
But im not from a land down under... sounds tasty though

[quote=LineArrayNut;233653]
Originally Posted by Mike996
the handlebar end is missing. quote]

I've got a pair of stock bar ends if you need/want.
I really appreciate that! Im thinkin about upgrading to something a little different... if i dont find any i like, ill take you up on that!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Squid

notquite is on a distinguished road
hi mike
Old 09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by notquite
hi mike

Whats up! Heck of a place you guys got here!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Originally Posted by Mike996
R/R unit.... hmmmm I guess i havent ran across what that or ccts are... looks like i have some reading to do tonight.

Just hit up the Knowledge Base articles on this site and you will learn quick. I had my SH about 1 week and the stock R/R went out and nearly left me stranded in Red Top Mt St Park north of ATL. I found an R6 unit on Craigslist around ATL and for $40 and a little over an hour of my time, it is fixed and running like a top now. Welcome
Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
The new guy is already catching on quick. He got the color correct right off the bat! Red is the fastest after all isn't it? Nice looking bike brother. welcome
Old 09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Superstock

Just hit up the Knowledge Base articles on this site and you will learn quick. I had my SH about 1 week and the stock R/R went out and nearly left me stranded in Red Top Mt St Park north of ATL. I found an R6 unit on Craigslist around ATL and for $40 and a little over an hour of my time, it is fixed and running like a top now. Welcome
Thanks! Ive been lookin around for an r/r and havent been too lucky in finding one yet. Im holding out, as the new ones are a tad pricey.

Originally Posted by NAVY8TR
The new guy is already catching on quick. He got the color correct right off the bat! Red is the fastest after all isn't it? Nice looking bike brother. welcome
Thanks man! I figure ill add a few stickers and pick up a few tenths in the 1/4 since im already ahead of the game lol
Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Just dont pick up a new Honda r/r unit, not only are they pricey, but they will fail also even though they are new.

Use one of the craigslist search engines like Craigspal. It will allow you to search nationwide for items you need. Ebay as always also.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Welcome to a great forum and a great bike!

Quick Reply: Im new here. No big deal