General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Harbor Freight Front/Rear stand DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
Harbor Freight Front/Rear stand DIY

So I went to harbor freight to buy the rear stand and I'm satisfied with it. Although I need to turn the little L bracket upside down so that I can raise the rear of the bike I'm satisfied, I don't really care. The next thing I needed was to turn it into a front stand. Since they don't sell a front specific attachment I decided to make my own.

The first thing that you need to do is drill a hole about the 1/3 area of the L bracket. Next I used a high grade steel bolt and a couple nuts and a large fender washer. I cut the bolt to a length that I thought would be long enough to give me some good retention within the holes in the bottom of the fork but not long enough that it would be standing up on the bolt when raised. I then placed a large fender washer over the whole thing, kind of like a floating mechanism so that the forks bottom can rest on it instead of the nut alone.

It works great, but I did have to cut a triangular notch out of the L bracket so that I could pull out the front axle while it's on the stand and so that I could undo the large bolt.

It's kind of tipsy and I DO NOT recommend using it alone as a front stand. What I do is tether both sides of the bike so that there is not side to side movement while the front is in the air, it works great. It also helps if the bike is in gear while you are trying to place the front stand. Be very careful if you are doing all this on your own. You need to be strong enough to balance the bike as you are raising the front which can be tricky. It's probably best to straddle the front wheel as you press down with your foot on the stand to lift the bike.

All in all it probably cost me $3 to modify it so that it can serve as a front stand aswell. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Harbor Freight Front/Rear stand DIY-dscn3553.jpg   Harbor Freight Front/Rear stand DIY-dscn3552.jpg   Harbor Freight Front/Rear stand DIY-dscn3551.jpg