General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

getting ready for the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:37 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
getting ready for the track

my one and only trackday of the year is 2 weeks away, so tomorrow the hawk goes in for some work. the metal seals in the headers are being replaced, its getting new pilot power 2ct's thrown on, and the head bearings will be checked and snugged if need be. after I get her back, I'm installing a set of cycle pirates adjustable footpegs to give me a little more clearance, and to keep my heel off my leo vince highmounts. she won't look any different when I get her back from the shop, but I'll take some shots of the new footpegs once I get them on.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you might be going to Blackhawk Farms on 9/12 (or 9/13). I'll be there on 9/12 with a '98 yellow painted Firestorm badged VTR and my buddy will have his original red '98 VTR. This will be the second trackday of our long riding careers. If you are going to BF, look us up as it it nice to have someone to benchrace with about that last session. OH, my bud and I will probably be the two oldest guys on the track at 63 and 60.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Squid

kfkraenz
Waiting for pics of the footpegs... are they the ones for sale here http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1 ?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by kfkraenz
Waiting for pics of the footpegs... are they the ones for sale here http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...showprevnext=1 ?
yup that's them. no instructions, and kinda complicated to assemble, but I got it done. actually, YTKinWI, its at autobahn in joliet on the 5th. north course. this will be my third time and I have never seen a superhawk there on the same day as myself. I did go to watch once and this older guy had one with stock pipes all scraped up. but that was it. last time I spent most of my day playing tag with a heavily modded ducati st3, and a mid 90's gixxer 750. my buddy doug is coming with me and he's riding his modded sv650. man I can't wait.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
Autobahn is one of the tracks I want to do in 2010, maybe I'll see you there then!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by YTKinWI
Autobahn is one of the tracks I want to do in 2010, maybe I'll see you there then!
the guys I ride with think autobahn is the best track around. over BHF or grattan or gingerman. north course rocks but its short.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
I have the Streets of Willow on my Calendar in OCT.

Just a few minor details and fresh hoops before I go.

Wasting the last 1k miles on the tires now.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Squid

kfkraenz
you get pics of the footpegs yet?

How much do they change the feel of the bike?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

I'm picking up the bike from the shop in about 2 hours. I have the pegs assembled in the position that I think I'll want them in but I won't know for sure till I can get them on the bike of course. I will probably put them on on saturday. don't worry pics are coming.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Ride the bike some after you out the pegs on. I put a set on my track bike and did not the way they felt and took them off.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
SuperSport

yeah I'm gonna put them on tomorrow then go for a 1hour each way ride. T minus 1 week and counting. I got the bike back yesterday and had to ride home in the rain on brand new tires. veeerrrryyyy carefully. pics tomorrow
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
SuperSport

ok, here's this weeks highlights and pics. I got the bike back from the shop on thursday. they put on new pilot power 2ct's, replaced the seals on my exhaust and got it good and tight, and checked my stearing stem bearings. the bearings were fine, and the pipe job made a noticible difference in the sound. also, no more popping and gurgling on the decel. I almost miss it. I got caught in the rain on my way home so my bike has some road grime in the pics. today was the first nice day since them, so I put on the new pegs and didn't have to change their setting. its was just where I wanted it. my heels were resting on my pipe at the last trackday, so I moved the pegs up and forward. I wore my race boots today, and my heel doesn't touch the pipe unless I flex my foot to do it. of course I had to move the shifter arm up so I could reach it without sticking my toe straight down.( a problem on the other side as the brake pedal doesn't adjust much but still doable, and I won't be using the rear much at the track anyway) I rode out to palatine (about an hour one way). after various speeds and conditions, I actually think this is where the pegs should have been put in the first place. at highway speed, it actually feels more comfortable. in corners, its easier to get your feet where you want them, and it feels like you have more leverage. and there was one unexpected benefit. most of you are aware of the notorious difficulty of shifting cleanly into 2nd gear. Prior to mounting these new pegs, I had adjusted to it with shifts at certain rpm, and the force that I use to shift. with the new pegs, its crisp and smooth and effortless. no clunk, no accidental shift into neutral. it completely cured the problem. something about the geometry of your foot to the peg makes it work so much better. I was amazed that they made such a difference. I thought they were kind of a frivolous purchase at the time, but now I'm so glad I got them. anyway, I took before and after pics. here's the before:

and here's after:

between the new tires, the fork brace, the gixxer brakes and MC, the refitted pipe, and the footpegs, I don't think my bike has ever felt so good to ride. bring on the track! feedback?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:08 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
Just remember to bring extra gas with you. They really like to drink heavily at the track.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Hmmm, slick footpegs. They look to be good all around - raising and lowering. Looking forward to your post track day report.

I know that for the track some like a more solid feel, I'm wondering if the absence of rubber makes them less comfortable for regular road riding, or if it's insignificant. I'd appreciate your feedback after using them a bit.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
What tire psi are you going to run? I would start out with 31F 28R Hot with 2CT's I presume you will not be running warmer? So Hot is right after you get off the track.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 PM
SuperSport

ok, we usually bring an extra 10 gallons of gas with us, and usually have alot left over. as for tire pressure, I think we ran 31 front and 30 rear last year. I have freinds who will be control riders so they'll tell me what's good that day. and the vibes thru the footpegs was a concern of mine, but I rode again today just around town and I never notice it. I have a neighbor who is letting me borrow his vid cam and I tested it out today on my ride. I'm making a little clip with music hopefully. when I get it done I'll post it up. nothing impressive, just some tooling around. today was more of a test.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:53 AM
SuperSport

well I made a video. its just some bits and pieces of today's ride. I picked up the pace a few times, but never any really risky stuff. I can tell you that much of it looks faster than it was. the only tense moment was when the two teenyboppers in the black car pulled out in front of me. you'll notice that I paused to express my displeasure. these are some of the few roads around here with any kind of curves. I don't know if this is the right way to post a vid like this, but if it doesn't let me, I'm not sure how else to do this with a clip this big. If anybody knows a better way to post it let me know. hope you guys like Led Zeppelin.

let me know if this works for you guys:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/V...t-1_704147.htm

Last edited by swordfish; 08-31-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Squid

Hawkagain is on a distinguished road
You might get even better feel from the shifter if you get a shorter shift rod. The closer you keep the the 2 lever arms & shift rod to a parallelogram the more positive the shifter will feel. If you can screw further down the threads of the 2 rod ends that would help also.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
SuperSport

that was kindof what I had done prior to the new pegs. but it was never a difinitive fix. just helped a little. but either way, now it works alot better, so one less thing to worry about.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Squid

kfkraenz
thanks for the pics and the video. I assume you will post video from the track....

I forgot how "bad" the roads were in the midwest. I used to complain that none of the roads out here make any sense (not N/S or E/W), but now that I got a bike, it is nice to see a turn once in a while....
Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 AM
SuperSport

yes if all goes as planned, there will be 3 vids of my POV with my buddy doug in front of me(unless I can pass him) and 3 vids of his POV with me in front of him. I grew up in upstate NY so I never got used to this straight flat crap. if my friends here saw how we drive back home, they would crap their pants. I'm talking real backwoods. my folks live on a dirt road and my next door neighbor was my grandmother 1/4 mile down the road. still on our land. I used to tell my college buddies that you couldn't see any sign of civilization from my house. no houses, no roads, just trees. my wife and I plan to move to Penn sometime within the next 2 years.