General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

General Upgrades - Advice please!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Squid

Frrrunkiss is on a distinguished road
Question General Upgrades - Advice please!

Newbie here.. bought and sold a couple different bikes for the past 15 years. Just bought my second superhawk used 2000 with 10k miles on it. It's probably going to be the last street bike I buy for a while. Completely stock for the most part. Got it fully serviced as well, runs like a champ. Wondering if anyone has some advice on which upgrades I should do. I am pretty mechanically inclined but no where near a bike mechanic and I definitely don't mind paying my mechanic to install the stuff I buy.. First thing I'm looking for is an exhaust (gotta get that thunder back!). My old hawk had a couple mods when I bought it used including full two bros exhaust which is literally impossible for to find now. So my first question would be: What are some general mods (besides exhaust) I could do to improve performance? Second: Where in gods name can I find a full aftermarket exhaust system?! I've seen Black Widow on ebay but I've heard some horror stories about fitting them.. I'm looking for a sound just like the two brothers. My mechanic suggested I just get some good slip-ons and I'll be fine but didnt tell me what brand. Any suggestions would be really helpful. I have a decent budget for this thing since I just sold my ZRX1100 for a lot more. Thanks fellers.

PS: Dont need cosmetic advice.... yet...

Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It all depends on what you are hoping to achieve, but braided brake lines, decent pads, fork springs (for your weight) and a re-valve (for weight and riding style) would be good starting points IMO...
Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
It can be a challenge to do performance upgrades on our dinosaurs as they've been out of production for 14 years. 1st get her running stock as well as can be. i.e.; Jetting spot on, TPS set, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, Suspension upgrades, SS brake and clutch lines, good pads and calipers, as mentioned. ALL of this is on this forum and 1000VTR.org. Search.
My '98 is perfect for me now and I did it all on a budget. The single most notable performance mod was one of E.Marquez lightened flywheel. No more power, but it gets to what it has quicker.
BUT, before you do anything else, replace the ACCTs with some MCCT. Or you could lose it all due to a catastrophic failure.Use the VTR1000.org install procedure and you can't go wrong.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Lots of good suggestions above, but personally I would do these 3 first, in this order as they relate to reliability and safety.
1) Manual cam chain tensioners
2) Voltage regulator/rectifier changed to a MOSFET type
3) Front springs changed to straight rate for your weight.

The list of mods can (and for most of us does) go on and on but these are potentially critical IMHO.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Wondering if anyone has some advice on which upgrades I should do.
MCCTS
MOSFET Regulator kit
SS Brakes lines quality pads
Service the forks and install the correct spring for your weight at least, better still have them valved as well.
Install the correct spring for your weight, better yet install a correctly sprung and valved DMr Performance Suspension BD40 Series Rear Shock, one of his previous models Modified Showa F4I rear shock or another quality rear shock set up for you.
Tuning,,,at least set idle, sync carbs, set TPS, better still service the carbs fully, install a Factory Pro jet kit and BMC filter

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-13-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
and a sargent seat if you want to ride for more than an hour! All good advice above.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Make sure that you grease the rear swingarm bearings as well as the shock linkages.

an often overlooked maintenance item .

Also fit some tapered steering stem bearings.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Looks like everyone above is giving some very solid suggestions. The first mod to my VTR was out of necessity as the head bearings were loose and notchy, so in went AllBalls tapered rollers. HUGE difference. If those bearings have not been touched since new, they may be in need.

Second best mod I've done is respring the forks to my weight. Get some fresh oil in there, you'll feel an immediate difference.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Squid

Frrrunkiss is on a distinguished road
All awesome advice fellas. Really appreciate it. Just getting back from vacation and have some more questions but I'll shoot em off in the morning. thanks so much!