General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Considering A Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Squid

Grimmjow is on a distinguished road
Considering A Hawk

Hey there, names Rob and I am new to the forum. I have been reading through some of the posts the past couple weeks through the search function here but mostly google sends me here. Just a little background, I am 40 years old and have been riding for over 20 years. I love sport bikes (mostly older ones because of style) but my wrists and elbows just cant take it anymore. I sold my 954rr a few months back and have been tolling around on the old Nighthawk but it just doesn't get it done for me at the dragon or cherhala skyway. I have ridden many sport bikes over the years but never any larger displacement twins. I am a Honda fan and had one of the first 600 hurricanes back in the early 90's, it was a beautiful death machine lol. I am considering the Superhawk 996, the SV1000 and the Buell 1200xbs. I had a 2001 Honda 919 and fell in love with the naked bikes because of the comfort but still having the ability to get on with it. I am not looking at a monster right now because of the ground clearance issues they have unless you buy a newer model. I am not asking you all to sell me on the Hawk because I know you can do that easily here on this forum, just let me know your thoughts on the 3 bikes I have listed. I do know the Buell engine isnt the greatest, and the stock suspension on the SV is very lackluster. Keep in mind I am concerned with comfort, and if the Hawk is close to as bad as the 954 I wont be able to hack it. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Best thing you could do is ride one. They are much more forgiving than modern hypersports. BUT, a few years ago I sprung for a ‘10 Ducati Multistrada S. I never realized just how much more comfortable I could be. Spent 10 years on the Hawk and wouldn’t consider selling it either. You are very limited with bar risers as the fairings limit them. If you’d want to trim a little here and there, quite a few have added dirtbike style bars. I’d love to ride one properly set up like that, I just can’t imagine ever cutting on my plastics.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The Superhawk is quite a bit less comfortable than the 919.
I have a 2001 Yamaha FZ1, and it too is much more comfortable than the Superhawk.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:09 AM
Squid

Thank you for your input, I am in love with the sound of the Hawk but the ergonomics have me scared. It wont do me a bit of good sitting in the garage because it kills my arms lol. I need to ride one somewhere to see if I like it, only if I had friends with one. All my buddys have super sport or super bikes. Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Squid

Xbolt22 is on a distinguished road

Super Hawks do make decent nakeds. I've owned four Buells, and loved them all. The Hawk is quicker to speed, but my Firebolts were, I think, more comfortable for long rides.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Squid

superhawk138 is on a distinguished road
I upgraded my bars to higher mx style bars as my back deteriorated and it made my hawk a lot more comfortable to ride. Xbolt22 our bikes may have been separated at birth. Couple pics and one with Yummir6 sitting on my bike

Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM
MotoGP

Bike looks good 138!

Grimm where ya from? We have a decent membership here, even though a bunch aren't frequent posters. Maybe one is close.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
With what I consider minor fairing trimming, you can get 3 inches of rise and much more comfort in bar angle and pull back using Apex risers. Add a good seat and a windscreen that for you allows ride free helmet buffeting all is comfy on the Superhawk.

Modern Honda Gold wing lounge chair on a bike comfy? No, but a bike I can enjoy comfy ..Yes
Old 07-19-2019, 08:57 PM
Squid

How is the hawk in the twisties? Compared to an sv650 or my 919?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grimmjow
The Superhawk is very capable in the twisties. It feels kind of lively because of the "tuned flex" chassis, but will keep up with anything at street speeds.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Squid

Xbolt22 is on a distinguished road
Superhawk138, is that a Puig or Givi flyscreen?
Old 07-21-2019, 04:54 PM
MotoGP

My wife owned an SV for a few years. I think I put more miles on it than her, so I can give a good assessment. I could ride that thing allll day and not be fatigued. It's much lighter and takes much less effort to ride. As mentioned above, the VTR has a tuned flex designed into the chassis and swinger, SV not so much. When you really push a Hawk hard, they can wiggle like a wet noodle. It's not the best feeling to someone not used to it [at first]. Motor wise, it felt like it had half of the torque of my VTR.

After you get used to the VTR and make some suspension tweaks, they do just fine in any situation, including the track. I've been twice and will continue to.

Last edited by Wolverine; 07-21-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:44 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
vtr hawk is a solid choice. I have two, one stock, one modded for comfort. I put old school handlebars, corbin seat and buell drop pegs on the comfort one. it ads up to a nice comfy steed for this decrepit and fat middle aged man(46). the comfort hawk is so good that I can't even ride the stock one. I also have a 2007 monster s4r testastretta, but you don't want to know about it, but you should... lol

here is a great site for comparing seating positions. Motorcycle Ergonomics

and a couple family photos

Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

sorry, I will add that I have had a lot of bikes in my days and the vtr is perhaps the finest of them all. it does so many things so well. it is definitely one that I will always have in my stable.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM
Squid

superhawk138 is on a distinguished road
@Xbolt22 I'm not exactly sure who makes it. It doesn't have any markings or anything on it.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Bike looks good 138!

Grimm where ya from? We have a decent membership here, even though a bunch aren't frequent posters. Maybe one is close.
I'm in East TN close to Knoxville pigeon forge etc
Old 07-23-2019, 09:08 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by finepooch
vtr hawk is a solid choice. I have two, one stock, one modded for comfort. I put old school handlebars, corbin seat and buell drop pegs on the comfort one. it ads up to a nice comfy steed for this decrepit and fat middle aged man(46). the comfort hawk is so good that I can't even ride the stock one. I also have a 2007 monster s4r testastretta, but you don't want to know about it, but you should... lol

here is a great site for comparing seating positions. Motorcycle Ergonomics

and a couple family photos

Can you still get a knee down and have plenty of clearance with your "comfort" setup?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:20 PM
SuperBike

Can you still get a knee down and have plenty of clearance with your "comfort" setup?
knee down! hahahaha I am a middle aged, overweight father of two. there is not even a thought of putting a knee down. I am happy when I can throw a leg over a bike. lol