Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Forum Newb Performance Mod Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Squid

HellsAekel is on a distinguished road
Forum Newb Performance Mod Q's

Hi all!

First thread her on the SH forum and looking forward to learning from everyone.

(But really)

Before I start I want to mention that I have been searching and reading the forum but I know very little about bikes. So I have trouble knowing the following:

1-How will the mod effect the life of my bike or the resale value (even though I have no intention of selling)?

For example:

In "Superhawk top 15 mods" 8541Hawk recommended lightening the flywheel. Could this effect the reliability and overall life of the bike?

Also revhead1957 and uchi suggested changes to the sprockets. This will effect the odometer no? Will it also effect the resale value?

2-How involved and costly is the process of having the mod done (I don't think I'm able to do any work myself, the only thing I've ever done was change the rear break pads and oil with the help of a friend)?

For example:

If I have a mechanic do it, how much would it cost to swap in a 900RR or 929/954 front end?

3-What is in your opinion the best mod (ie. 900RR front end vs. 929) diseregarding money and what is the best value/bang for your buck (ie. just doing break lines, springs and fluid vs. a new front end)?

With those questions in mind, what do you think are the best performance mods for someone with no mechanical skill and who wants their odometer to get reset to zero after a 100k?

Also, before spending any money on mods I've gathered from other threads that its more about the rider than the bike and my first investment will be beginning track courses.

Current setup:

All stock except for the front turn signals, Race Tech springs for a 200lb rider (from the 2nd owner I'm 150 and have the stock springs as well), and a Givi top case.

My riding:

I've had the bike for almost a year and just started a new job that requiers 60 miles of commuting 5x a week and this is my only vehical. I have not done so yet but would like to start trying the track.

That's a lot of s%$@! Sorry, one fool can ask more questions than ten wise men (or women) can answer.

I look forward to your responses and/or links to posts I may have missed

Last edited by HellsAekel; 09-14-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Squid

Also I'm not very good with much of the technical jargon so quoting nath981 I have no idea what "Carb: mains 185f-188r," means.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Greetings

First as you seem to firstly need the bike to be a reliable commuter is to ensure Cam Chain Tensioners (CCTs) are upgraded to manuals and the Regulator/Rectifier (R/R) is also upgraded to later more robust finned version or better still MOSFET type.

After that mods can be done incrementally depending on what you want the bike to do/your tastes. As for mainitaining resale value best keep all standard parts and replace them when you want to sell the bike on and sell the aftermarket parts sperately i.e shocks. As for modding forks make sure they are serviced and resprung for your weight and riding style before throwing money at replacing the complete front end.

Check the Workshop section and use the search function to inform yourself about the wonderful and addictive world of VTR modding.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Squid

Thanks Wicky!

That sounds like a good plan.

Any idea how much labour (time) it will take my mechanic to swap in a MOSFET R/R?

On a different thread I read that it takes between 30 and 60 min to install each Manuel CCT. Does this sound correct?

One other question my bike has 36k on it so I'm wondering how I can tell whether I already have manual CCTs from the previous owner....

I ask for budgeting reasons.

Still waiting on that first paycheck....
Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Name:  DSC03699_zpst8sg0sk2.jpeg
Views: 135
Size:  21.9 KB

The one the left is a manual cct. It doesn't necessarily have to be red, though I've heard it's the fastest color. So ya know get a couple reds.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Swapping out a R/R shouldn't take an hour. if you have the R/R and the kit to connect to the main harness. It's a simple matter of soldering a few wires and you're done!

Carbs main 185f 188r refers to the main jets on the front and rear carbs. I strongly suggest you read Hawk8541 carb setup guide before pulling your carbs. And IMHO you would never need that jetting 185/188.

Lightening the flywheel will have no effect on resale,but as you just got the bike I would delay doing it.

Converting the forks to USD can certainly offer some improvements but it's expensive and completely unnecessary for novice riders. Just change the fork springs for your weight and you'll be fine. (my bad Wicky already said the same thing).

Last edited by HRCA#1; 09-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Squid

Thanks for your responses! I'll definitely go for the red one's, it seems like an easy way to make my bike faster.

OK, so a MOSFET R/R and red manual ccts are first on my list.

Next up will setting the suspension up specifically for my weight (starting with just the fork springs and possibly oil). I'm not exactly sure what they are now other than that their race techs and set for something like a 200lb rider. I'm 150 and notice shuttering of the front end under hard breaking at least at 50mph and under (haven't had to past that).

My current mechanic said to just keep them but he does not seem very performance oriented. Will any mechanic do for that work or is it better to get someone who is into the performance/track side of things? If it is better to find someone into that are there any suggestions for who to go to in San Francisco/Bay Area?

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...er-swap-14380/

Yamaha Shindengen FH020AA Regulator w Connectors Replaces FH012AA | eBay

VTR1000 S'hawk/F'storm

Re. Forks DIY Guide > www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide
Old 09-15-2014, 01:56 AM
SuperSport

Not sure about shuttering on the front but that almost sounds like there may be junk on the front rotors. It can cause the front to bounce when on the brakes. Do a search for cleaning the rotors.

Some say yellow is the fastest color btw
Old 09-15-2014, 03:41 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Red is the fastest!

If I was you I would try and find a fellow Hawk owner nearby!

I have found other owners to be very generous with their knowledge and time.

After all you share a common bond.

I use my bike for fast riding and not much commuting so my needs are different to yours.

I read a lot about suspension and really want a USD front end but after modding my forks internally and fitting springs suitable for my weight with a fork brace am more than happy with the standard front end.

Do I still want a USD? Yes but only because I am further down the track than you in the ownership cycle of this bike .

The point is that if the bike is doing what you require make changes that suit you, not what other people tell you to do.

The Achilles heal of this bike is the cam chain tensioners and the R/R if you have an early one.

Fix those things and every thing else is a personal choice.

A lot of us on here are chasing performance.

Read up on how to set your suspension sag, do it and notice the difference.

Do one thing at a time and enjoy the changes.

I know plenty of people who have completely standard bikes and love them .

Good luck and welcome to the fold, beware it can become an obsession if you start tinkering!
Old 09-15-2014, 09:53 PM
Squid

Thanks for all your help everyone!

The pictures, links and specific advice were all very helpful. I plan to start with the ccts, and a MOSFET R/R (thanks again for the links Wicky, I would not have been confident buying the R/R because I would have been second guessing whether or not it was the right type).

Eventually I would like to take on some of the other mods that were mentioned (or rather have a mechanic do it unless I find an SH owner willing to give me lessons (I would be willing to pay for such hands on lessons btw)). As many of you have pointed out though, first things first.

Still trying to figure out how to effectively navigate this forum (second one I've ever joined) but I'll try to troll around a bit and link other newbs with similar questions here.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 AM
SuperSport

Search "Riders Tips" here too, more than any mod you can do to the bike that thread will help keep you safe.