General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Gas Shortage

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas Shortage

Folks it is crazy right here and now in middle TN. We get our gas from the Houston pipe line, which is down to 25% of it capacity.

All stations here in middle TN are out of gas and closed. i don't mean just a few i mean all of them everywhere.

Out of 40 stations i went by on a 20 mile loop only two had gas, Wal-Mart and a Thortons. Those two had over 200 cars lined up in all directions with police standing by to prevent fights.

Needless to say if your bike or car is out gas you are stuck.

I can never remenber it being this bad, I remember gas shortages and rationing when i was a kid in the early 70's but not all stations closed.

Even the big boys Exxon, BP, Texeco, Shell are closed and out of gas.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=9042837

Last edited by Thumper; 09-19-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
holy ****, that's crazy. talk about a huge pain in the ***. i hope it gets better for you over there.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
This is the first I've heard of it, though I don't watch or read the news much. I just checked the headlines and nothing, then checked TN news...hopefully the barge load will ease things up for you soon.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/17511688/de...=nash&psp=news

Pretty scary. I remeber the tow oil embargos and was living in San Fransisco
for the 1st and San Diego for th 2nd. Since I only had a mc I could always swueeze thru to an open pump and be on my way. Pissed the cagers off but they could do nothing about it.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:59 PM
SuperSport

Since I only had a mc I could always swueeze thru to an open pump and be on my way. Pissed the cagers off but they could do nothing about it.[/quote]

haha! hell, i'd do it too. it's not like filling up a bike takes any more than a minute or two anyways. i know they were getting mad because of gas shortage, but at least you're only taking 2 to 4 gallons where most of them are taking 15+.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
SuperSport

i don't really have any memories to share either, cause i'm only 20, so i haven't really been around for a whole lot as far as gas shortages go. (for all i know, at least)
Old 09-20-2008, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Wow! I feel for ya man. That would totally suck. Are the prices jacked up at the places that do have gas?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:43 AM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Same situation here in western NC. Finding gas is hell right now. And if I do find it...it's 87 and my hawk just doesn't like it as much.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 AM
SuperSport

that sucks that you can only find 87. i just wouldnt enjoy that at all.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:51 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
geeze man, that sucks.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:16 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
And it is still going on. All the stations you pass anywhere near Nashville have bags over the pump handles. We went by one station tonight to get some milk and they said they were full this morning and by tonight are empty again! The wife's minivan has 1/2 a tank and my truck the same. I filled the bike up in Nashville on Friday and they were out of gas except for supreme. By the time I started filling up they walked by telling everyone they were out of gas. I must have got the last of it.

Stupid panic. I heard last week we were going to be out of gas for the hurricane and stations were asking people to only take 10 gallons at a time to preserve what they had. That unfortunately caused mass panic and everyone started filling up.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Squid

roadapple is on a distinguished road
Man, that sucks... I hope they get that fixed soon.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Schnitzel
Squid

PHxS is on a distinguished road
It's pretty much the same story around my house in Austell Georgia. If the station isn't completely out of fuel, they only have regular and mid grade. I ended up getting a five gallon container and buying premium at a Shell station near work... 25 miles away from my house.

I spoke with an employee and a tanker driver at Racetrac, they have no idea why there isn't any premium coming to the stores. I like to stick to Racetrac stations as they have stuck to the separate nozzles for each grade. In my car, I don't care as long as there is no ethanol mixture which causes absolutely miserable milage (280 vs. up to 400). With the bike, I don't like the idea of another grade of gas from the previous customer still sitting in the hose ready to make it's way to my tank.

No lines around here, but it's a pain to find premium.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:00 AM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Same here as well. We are limited all around my area . Thankfully all of our vehicles run on 87 (no ping issues).
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Back Marker

scarface is on a distinguished road
I havent noticed any shortage in my area? I run 87 in everything, even the hawk.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Our stations are running out here in NW North Carolina...
Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Crazy how a something like gas can cause a widespread panic huh? I can't imagine what the scene must be like trying to get food and water in the hurricane damaged areas. It's times like these that the best & worst come out for sure....
Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
SuperSport

Rollin20z is on a distinguished road
It got that way here in East TN(Sevierville, Pigeon Forge area)a couple weeks ago right before the hurricane hit and they said all the refineries were gonna be shut down. Price went from 3.49gal to 3.99 gal wednesday noon to 6pm and then by thursday morning it was 4.59gal at my local Exxon which is alway has the best prices in this area. Some places closer to Knoxville were over 5.00 gal, by wednesday night and thursday morning alot of stations were out of gas and didn't know when they would get anymore. But that only lasted a couple days and as of now prices are back to 3.49 gal and I don't see any that are out. Hope it gets better soon for all of you that are still hit with this.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Gas shortages are not happening in the Tampa, FL area, but prices are not gonna get much better anytime soon...today Oct crude futures went to $130/brl from an open at $103, before closing at $120 up $17/brl
Old 09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
SuperBike

It's hitting Atlanta now, http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...nch/index.html

The deal here in TN is we are slowly getting gas back, but since we had a run on gas the past two Friday's everyone is now keeping the tanks topped off if they can find gas.

Stations have gas one minute and then are completely out the next minute. Status quo is bags over pumps and no display of the fuel price on the station signs.

It is a little scary to think we rely so much on Texas distribution of fuel to the south east.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Superstock

Verne
I agree Thumper. The stations here will have gas then be out by the time you get turned around. Thank God for good weather to ride to work in. Have a 5 gallon gas can to keep the bike full through the end of the week.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Well ****....I thought this would get better...seeing as western NC is the only place still struggling, but today...we officially went dry. There is nothing. My bike is on empty and there's no gas. Looks like I'm calling in to work tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by scarface
I havent noticed any shortage in my area? I run 87 in everything, even the hawk.
Not yet, better go fill up the rides and the cans just in case. It is bitch to have to sit for 45 minutes to get gas after spending an hours driving around to 30 closed gas stations hoping you find one open with gas.

I have a couple of gallons in my SV650 and i am about to head out to work (8 miles away) so i hope to top her off.

The car and truck are full at this point and time.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
I made it home tonight on fumes in the hawk. There was only one station in five on the way home that had gas and a line out the parking lot. I figured I would head out of town to find some gas later but ended up using the 87 unleaded from a near full 2 gallon container i use for the mower. I hope they start getting some fuel up here soon.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Back Marker

Scoutpilot is on a distinguished road
We've got gas here....just to damn expensive from all the stinking taxes!!!!

We must have a surplus cause nobody and afford it here!!!!