General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fram Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Unless you're pulling your engine apart and checking the bearings, or doing an oil analysis then "no apparent problems" is meaningless, and is not an evaluation.

It would be like implying that if the filter did not have a catastrophic failure and cause you to dump the bike, it's good enough.
Sounds like my students and the repairs that they make. "good enough" equates to broken in a week and back for repairs. It is so hard to make them understand that logic is less than adequate.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:48 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Unless you're pulling your engine apart and checking the bearings, or doing an oil analysis then "no apparent problems" is meaningless, and is not an evaluation.

It would be like implying that if the filter did not have a catastrophic failure and cause you to dump the bike, it's good enough.
Correct and fair enough. One individual's anecdotal testimony doesn't make it.

But when millions of guys go billions of miles on other than Honda oil and filters with no problemo, it might make you want to investigate on your own.

Giant pain in the **** 25 years ago. An hour or two's time on the interwebs these days.

You can find other people's VOA and UOA for most any oil. any filter you want. You can compare the so called "Honda" badged filter with others.

Compare flow rate, bypass valve pressure, sq. inches of filter media, can thickness, burst pressure, level of micron filtration, quality of construction with comment from engineers formerly employed by oil filter manufactures, you can compare photos of dissected oil filters etc.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with Honda oil filters. I think they are adequate. I just don't think they are worth the $13-$14 that Honda dealers charge for them. I'm convinced you can buy an equal filter for under $3 and a much superior one for $6.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
i use the amsoil synthetic media filters with amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil the filter it's self its like 8 bucks, there cheaper than the honda filters and way better

by the way a Honda oil filter is list price of 11.98 so i'm sure they sell them for less than 9 bucks if you're paying 14 bucks you might want to find a new parts store
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
Not that I think Fram is perfect or anything, but I've used them in my vehicles and motorcycles for over 25 years without any problems. I'm not saying everyone should run out and buy them, but for me, they work fine.
+1. I've used only Fram for the past 20 yrs. @ regular intervals, 8 different cars and 4 bikes. No problems with the brand.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Sounds like my students and the repairs that they make. "good enough" equates to broken in a week and back for repairs. It is so hard to make them understand that logic is less than adequate.
My sons tend to be the same way Bill!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
+1. I've used only Fram for the past 20 yrs. @ regular intervals, 8 different cars and 4 bikes. No problems with the brand.
I'm pretty sure the reason is that we both ride yellow superhawks.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I've got the best reason to use the ST7317 - It's the same filter for my car! So I can walk into Wally world and buy two filters, a 5 quart bottle of castrol syntec and a gallon of Rotella and I'm set for oil changes on both my vehicles
Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Oil pressure light not going out after an oil change is something I've seen first hand on my '08 ZX-10 after the first change at 600 miles. Apparently not filling the new filter with oil and allowing the old oil to drain too long is the culprit according to other owners who've experienced the same phenomenon. I had to crack loose the OEM filter, start the bike, and the light quickly went off. Apparent air lock. But my ZX-10 is the only bike I've ever seen this on. Bandits and ZRX's are two bikes that that have more than their fair share of cam lobe scarring or flaking- some at very low mileage. Whether this is attributable to poor metallurgy, poor oil choices, extended oil change intervals, rider abuse, or the often maligned FRAM (or other)filters is still being hotly debated. None of my bikes show any evidence of cam lobe wear when I run the valves. And even during the "Phillipine filter" debacle none of my Frams blew off on my old '90 CBR1000f or my '94 CB1000f. I'm guessing that FRAM may be the 800lb.gorilla in the US oil filter industry so it's understandable that the occasional bad filter gets through quality control.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with Honda oil filters. I think they are adequate. I just don't think they are worth the $13-$14 that Honda dealers charge for them. I'm convinced you can buy an equal filter for under $3 and a much superior one for $6.
Oh I agree with you there. Honda doesn't make the oil filters, they just make the pretty boxes they go in.

I also don't think anything is worth what a motorcycle dealer charges.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
"I've been buying this filter for 41 years..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX0xrqvlsNI
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Why To Support Your Local Dealer

To a certain extent I buy from the dealer, OEM & AM to if anything build hopefully a good relationship but also if they'll discount and when time hypothetically can be saved versus net-mail order. If the dealer is a gonif, screw em, though sometimes their parts guys are OK but their service sucks or are rip-off artists; and visa versa. LOL its important to support your local dealer (YLD) if for any other reason to have a place to inspect and/or try on stuff then buy it online. LOL

I just ordered but did not have to give a CC deposit for an OE air filter for a Valkyrie. Before taxes (versus a minimum of $10 shipping), my YLD was 32% more than ServiceHonda.com (who was cheaper than ronayers.com: they were only 21% more than my YLD). So With tax versus shipping my YLD was actually 10% cheaper (a multiple item order may have evened things out considerably.

Oh I agree with you there. Honda doesn't make the oil filters, they just make the pretty boxes they go in.

I also don't think anything is worth what a motorcycle dealer charges.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Johnnie's Dad sends him down to the Honda dealer to buy a screw. The kid walks in the parts guys, What you want? Johnnie replies he wants a screw. The parts guys asks, How much you got. Johnnie replies, my Dad gave me 25 cents. The parts guy yells to the mugs in the back, Lube up the cat!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Squid

motorking is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I imagine that this will be considered just another oil (filter) thread. I know that a number of you have had good luck with Fram filters. BUT...

We had a bike come in today that had ran perfectly fine (according to owner, and no way to verify) at the end of last year. The owner had just done an oil change with Suzuki oil and a Fram filter. The complaint when brought in was that the oil pressure light was on and wouldn't go off. The owner had not ridden the bike, so that was good. We verified the complaint (as well as oil level), found complaints on the net about suzuki's triggering the pressure relief with their longer filter thread. When I removed the filter, it was dry... This set us a goose chase, as we assumed (yep, I know) that if there was no oil in the filter, that the pump may not be operating properly or at all. Needless to say we got to the point where we decided to run the bike with the filter unthreaded to see if it was the filter. Instant oil flow! It would appear that the filter had air locked the oil system and wouldn't allow oil flow at all. Take it for what it is (as I didn't get a chance to get the new filter on and put the exhaust back on), but I would seriously second guess the filters from this experience. Happy motoring....
Good morning,
I work as the tech manager for FRAM. In reading your post, the only way this could occur is if the oil pressure in the bike is so low it cannot fold back the antidrainback valve and fill the filter. If you look at the business end of the filter, you can see the rubber valve through the small holes in the tapping plate. See if you can depress the valve with a small tool. We are currently running these filters in two AMA roadracing bikes for the last two seasons without issue (and contrary to the poster below, they are not banned by the AMA.) See www.mikemorganracing.com. If you think the filter is defective, our quality claims dept would like to see it. Please let me know.
Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motorking
Good morning,
I work as the tech manager for FRAM. In reading your post, the only way this could occur is if the oil pressure in the bike is so low it cannot fold back the antidrainback valve and fill the filter. If you look at the business end of the filter, you can see the rubber valve through the small holes in the tapping plate. See if you can depress the valve with a small tool. We are currently running these filters in two AMA roadracing bikes for the last two seasons without issue (and contrary to the poster below, they are not banned by the AMA.) See www.mikemorganracing.com. If you think the filter is defective, our quality claims dept would like to see it. Please let me know.
And that's the word from FRAM. Thanks for joining and giving us your spin (no pun intended) on the oil filter issue.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Good morning,
I am sure that a modern bike, that makes good oil pressure with oem filters and suitable replacements, all of a sudden had its oil pump deteriorate to **** poor levels where it didn't have the power to overcome a simple backflow valve. If you can't read the sarcasm, I'll let you know that it is indeed sarcasm.

Here is the deal, I imagine that your job as a "tech" has you working more on PR than technology. It could be likely that you are a tech (as in computer technology) manager who has the job of fishing the net for negative PR on the products your company makes. This is a negative feedback that will not have me changing my mind, and the more that I look around the net, the more I know that this is not an isolated issue of poor quality control. Good luck with your job, I am sure that it is very secure in these poor economic times.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Good morning,
That's a good story and all, but how (and more importantly WHY) the *(&k did you supposedly find this thread? Hrm?