Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

independent air filters on the superchicken

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:41 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
independent air filters on the superchicken

did a quick search and didn't see anything. shouldn't be too hard after taking apart the airbox once... my main question is what would happen to the other hoses going to the box right now?? the pair system is gone so that's easy, but there's still two hoses from the carbs and a couple others... But other then that just need some modified stacks to fit the 4 bolt pattern that the airbox normally screws into and then filters on top of that... anyone? I'm really curious about this as I think it'd be fun and possibly not to expensive... Would probably sound mean too
Old 03-11-2006, 01:34 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Re: independent air filters on the superchicken

There is actually a lot of info about this around the place, try looking under different names, such as "air box mods" or similar. I can't remember where exactly, but it is out there.

The short version of the story is that so far the only known results seems to be a loss in power by doing this. Someone went to a lot of trouble to try and make this work, and failed. The hoses etc were retained by using the bottom of the airbox as a base plate, after cutting the top off. But it was no good. My guess is that you lose too much air speed for a street motor. A high revving, high comp, big cam race motor, with all top end power maybe a diffrent story, however even Moriwaki retained an irbox with their 145hp race bike they built. Their solution to the air intake was a ram air system. It was complicated and involved tank and frame mods.

If you want to try and imnprove the air intake, be prepared for some experimentation, as the answer has not been found yet it would seem.

And I am assuming you can improve it of course, it is possible you cannot. I have not got this far with my bike yet, I am a few months away from tackling this.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:35 PM
SuperBike

interesting... obviously the way to test it would be to do dyno runs right after each other WITH good fans pointed at the bike. simulating a 3rd gear run with no airflow is a lot different then actually doing it on the street. I'll have to look around. I like messing with things and it'd be a neat thing to try out
Old 03-11-2006, 06:01 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Don't waste your time.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:25 PM
SuperBike

why? cause a couple people couldn't get it to work right? I find it quite odd that most bikes and car motors can get good gains from individual air filters/itb's and that it won't yield something with the hawk if done properly with good tuning
Old 03-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
IMHO This is a giant waste of time. It is not like the stock air box is that restrictive. I am willing to bet money that any setup you have will result in less square inches or filter space which cause and effect will provide you less power
Old 03-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

The engineers at Honda do a pretty decent job to begin with.. I'd recommend adjusting the fuel flow through jetting (pretty cheap) and dead-on carb-syncing to compensate for air intake instead of the other way around.

Honda jets can be had from the dealer for $9.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by EngineNoO9";p=&quot
why? cause a couple people couldn't get it to work right? I find it quite odd that most bikes and car motors can get good gains from individual air filters/itb's and that it won't yield something with the hawk if done properly with good tuning
No. Because airbox design is an integral component of proper airflow.

No modern bike motors get "good gains" from seperates; that hasn't been true since the mid 80s when airbox design became science. No road racing bike runs without an airbox. None run separates.

Car airboxes are still designed for noise control, rather than max power. The two are simply not similar.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Engine909,

Who do you think is right: You or the billion dollar aftermarket? Don't you think you'd see all kinds of intake systems out there for sale promising big gains in hp?

The only "modern" bike that I know of that benefits from individual filters is the suzuki bandit; it's motor and frame design are deeply rooted in the 80's.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:21 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

EngineNo09, like you I like to tinker, and I also believe there are gains to be made with the air intake. But removing the airbox is not something I am going to do, for the reasons stated above.

What I forgot to mention is that is that increasing the air intake into the standard airbox has been proven to be beneficial on a bike in higher than stock tune, due to the increased air requirement of the engine.

I intend to work along this line of thinking by using increased filter area and snorkel area, for example, using two snorkels of 2 thirds the size of the standard one, or an extra small snorkel.

This could of course prove to be futile, but I am gonna agive it a go!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.