General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fram Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Fram Oil Filters

I imagine that this will be considered just another oil (filter) thread. I know that a number of you have had good luck with Fram filters. BUT...

We had a bike come in today that had ran perfectly fine (according to owner, and no way to verify) at the end of last year. The owner had just done an oil change with Suzuki oil and a Fram filter. The complaint when brought in was that the oil pressure light was on and wouldn't go off. The owner had not ridden the bike, so that was good. We verified the complaint (as well as oil level), found complaints on the net about suzuki's triggering the pressure relief with their longer filter thread. When I removed the filter, it was dry... This set us a goose chase, as we assumed (yep, I know) that if there was no oil in the filter, that the pump may not be operating properly or at all. Needless to say we got to the point where we decided to run the bike with the filter unthreaded to see if it was the filter. Instant oil flow! It would appear that the filter had air locked the oil system and wouldn't allow oil flow at all. Take it for what it is (as I didn't get a chance to get the new filter on and put the exhaust back on), but I would seriously second guess the filters from this experience. Happy motoring....
Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i just went through deciding on a filter for my 1098. i have always only used oem filters. i read an article about k&n oil filters being superior and for the first time i rethought my position. i guess it's good to look at things from time to time. after much deliberation i stuck with oem.

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml
Old 03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
SuperBike

This is good information. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Fram filters are known for having problems (or at least they used to), an internet search should get you lots of examples...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, when the owner brought it in, that was the first place that I went. One of the problems that was highlighted on the gsxr forum was the bypass valve. oh well, I hope the guy didn't smoke the engine, otherwise we will be trying to get fram to pay for it.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I used Fram filters in my 4 wheeled vehicles for about 20 years, until I started noticing their air filters were being made offshore and looked cheaper. This was around the mid to late '90s. And I could buy a more solid looking OEM Toyota air filter at the dealer for less. I quit using their oil filters at the same time. They were top rated in the early '80s.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:47 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
This is good information. Thanks
i thought so too
Old 03-16-2010, 05:29 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Not that I think Fram is perfect or anything, but I've used them in my vehicles and motorcycles for over 25 years without any problems. I'm not saying everyone should run out and buy them, but for me, they work fine.

I'd take a bet that if you went around to a lot of auto and motorcycle shops you'd find stories like this about a variety of components.

Is it possible that it had something to do with the installation? Did you happen to keep the filter and/or cut it apart to see what was wrong inside? That might have been an interesting exercise.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:56 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
Is it possible that it had something to do with the installation? Did you happen to keep the filter and/or cut it apart to see what was wrong inside? That might have been an interesting exercise.
Good point. Just because a filter spins on and the gasket matches doesn't mean it's right for the application.

I've been using Honda filters from the dealer, but they are rather pricey.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
SuperBike

We did keep the filter for the legal issues that could arrise (possibly spent motor). I did not cut it apart, and we won't do anything until we are sure that the bike is fine. It was installed properly, and appears to be good, but that is not accurate
Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Just one of those "things that make you say hmmmm".
Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Go to this link for a very definitve oil filter test. BTW, you must trim the chin fairing to use the Mobil 1 & Purolator filters listed; less so with the PL14612.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Squid

Hawkagain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Fram filters are known for having problems (or at least they used to), an internet search should get you lots of examples...
+1

About 20 years ago Fram filters were ban by many roadracing organizations. Spin on oil filters were shooting all the way the bike during races. It was traced to a production facility in the Phillipines. The filters from that plant had fewer threads than the design called for and under high pressure they would pop off. There were 4 or 5 crashes at Willow Springs because of this. I think John Ulrich wrote a pretty good article on this at that time. I think it was in "Roadracing World" but it might have been in "American Roadracing".
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
Here's a good link.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7884&highlight=oil+filter+wal-mart

One time I found a thread that discussed the Wal-Mart Super Tech filter in some detail. I couldn't find it just now. But It convinced me that were just fine. That's what I've been using for some time now. I actually just bought four of them last week. You do have to trim the chin fairing a little. But for $2.80 each, it is well woth it to me.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I'm not big on internet hype so I cut open a few different brand (car) filters, including Fram.

Surely some of the different sizes are made in different factories or even relabeled by different companies, so it may not all apply, but I will not run a Fram based on what I saw. Fram's premium versions of their filters are the same crap except with a silicone check valve.

FWIW, the AC-Delco was even WORSE than the fram.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules...orumpost113322

The Frams mentioned in the thread were smaller 4cylinder filters and aren't pictured, it was more of an SBC comparison, but I have them on my computer.

Also when I buy filters, I always tap them upside down on my hand. Sometimes metal shavings come out from the thread cutting or core perforations. That **** will go directly into your engine when you start it up, because it's downstream of the filter.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 03-16-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
This is what worries me about using filters other than units specifically designed for the engine. I know we can fits XXXXX filter made by XXXXX company to suit a Mazda MX% or whatever and it may fit right on, but is it worth the risk to save a few bucks???

It isn't for me, so I stick with OEM for the moment.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
When I was first a member here I remember another member posting about a filter sold at WallyWorld for $1.47 for the Superhawk. It was also posted that the same size filter was available in a "deep" version that required trimming the chin fairing but provided 47% more filter surface area. I bought three cases. The VFR, VTR and CBR all used the same filter. I always shook them, ran my finger around the seal. All good - I'm half way through the pack.

Chinese **** was **** back then - it's not even **** now - it's stupid. Not sure I would make that buy again.

But it will be a while I got time.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
When I was first a member here I remember another member posting about a filter sold at WallyWorld for $1.47 for the Superhawk. It was also posted that the same size filter was available in a "deep" version that required trimming the chin fairing but provided 47% more filter surface area. I bought three cases. The VFR, VTR and CBR all used the same filter. I always shook them, ran my finger around the seal. All good - I'm half way through the pack.

Chinese **** was **** back then - it's not even **** now - it's stupid. Not sure I would make that buy again.

But it will be a while I got time.
Don't know about years ago, but I just checked the two I have on the shelf;

Both the ST7317 (the longer one) and the ST6607 (itty bitty one) are stamped "product of USA" on top of the filters themselves.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
Don't know about years ago, but I just checked the two I have on the shelf;

Both the ST7317 (the longer one) and the ST6607 (itty bitty one) are stamped "product of USA" on top of the filters themselves.
That's even better! That is the right part number for the longer one - I never bought any of the shorter ones. We change frequently so $15 filters are out of the question.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
That's even better! That is the right part number for the longer one - I never bought any of the shorter ones. We change frequently so $15 filters are out of the question.
Yeah, nuhawk. Good to know SOMETHING you can buy at WallyWorld isn't made by ChiComs.

Pretty sure they're made by Champion Labs. They're installed on a whole lot of bikes and I've never heard anything bad. Last time I bought one they were still under 3 bucks.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
This is really good info. I had no idea the Frams I have been using have such shitty build quality. I figured since they were 2x the cost of the Supertechs, they should be better. Guess it's the cheapo's for me next time!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM
SuperBike

Did you look at the study? sorry, I couldn't help but see that the supertechs were of less thickness/quality in all categories. I dont make money selling filters, but I will be making money on people who use frams. Take THAT for what you will.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
The supertechs were comparable to OEM's in performance, just not in filter capacity. Since I usually change my oil with less than 1k miles on it, I don't see any reason to be worried.

Edit: Plus, I'd rather not trim my chin fairing to fit a Mobil or Purolator filter (even though it's off right now and might stay that way).

Edit again: I re-read the calsci link, and I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure it would be a huge deal.

Last edited by Syclone; 03-16-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
Did you look at the study? sorry, I couldn't help but see that the supertechs were of less thickness/quality in all categories. I dont make money selling filters, but I will be making money on people who use frams. Take THAT for what you will.
If you're talking about the study skokie linked, yes. They tested the ST6607. That's the little one, so little I'm scared to put it on the bike!

The larger ST7317 gets better reviews everywhere, and I've used it.

Actually I usually use the Purolator "Pure One" PL14610 which sells for $5.95 at my local Pep Boys.

PS

Both the ST7137 and PL14610 are larger than OEM so you have to dremel inside the chin fairing or leave it off. I left it off.

Last edited by RK1; 03-16-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

Under full-race conditions I might rethink my choices but for general banging around on the street I laugh at guys (including my son) for $11 filters.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
SuperBike

oh yeah, after I got everything back together, no changes to the bike, it started at made oil pressure instantly. The Fram would not even flow air. There wasn't a drop of oil inside of it. I repeat, only change was the oem suzuki oil filter replacing the fram. FWIW
Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
another thing about fram filters at wal-mart or anything at wal-mart, those products are made for wal-mart to wal-marts specifications, not to the manufactures, we see it all the time with tires at the body shop i work, i would never trust an oil filter made by wal-mart or one even sold at wal-mart,

how often are you guys changing your oil to where saving three bucks on a oil filter is necessary, with how bad our bikes are with cct failure, mainly due to lack of lubrication i will never be using a walmart filter
Old 03-17-2010, 07:24 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Billzilla15
another thing about fram filters at wal-mart or anything at wal-mart, those products are made for wal-mart to wal-marts specifications, not to the manufactures, we see it all the time with tires at the body shop i work, i would never trust an oil filter made by wal-mart or one even sold at wal-mart,

how often are you guys changing your oil to where saving three bucks on a oil filter is necessary, with how bad our bikes are with cct failure, mainly due to lack of lubrication i will never be using a walmart filter
Yeah but Honda doesn't make oil filters either. They contract for the lowest bid that meets their specifications, and those specs aren't for something super special unique to the VTR 'cause they sell you exactly the same filter for the CBRs, Gold Wing, Fury and most every other street bike they make.

In the absence of other info, I'd use the OEM filter, but when I can do a little research and find I can get equal or better quality filters for a lot less money, I buy them.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I've used FRAM and Mobil 1 on my '97 1200 Bandit for the last 12 years, and on my '99 ZRX for 10 years. Nothing negative to report with 2,000 mile change intervals at the 37,000 and 34,000 mile marks. I also use the Super Tech 7317 on my '94 CB1000 (65,000 troublefree miles), '98 Superhawk, '02 FZ-1, '06 Speed Triple, and '08 ZX-10- again, never a problem. I've also got a bunch of Bosch 3323's (?) for these bikes. I use HiFloFiltro filters on my '07 Tuono and '07 Bimota DB6 Delirio with no apparent problems. Just picked up 6 K&N oil filters for my '08 SuperDuke and a K&N air filter for my ZX-10 for $75.00 from D2Moto with their 35% off sale and free shipping. I've used a handful of brands including OEM over the last 40 years and have been fortunate to never have a filter related problem.

Last edited by altosuperhawk; 03-18-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Unless you're pulling your engine apart and checking the bearings, or doing an oil analysis then "no apparent problems" is meaningless, and is not an evaluation.

It would be like implying that if the filter did not have a catastrophic failure and cause you to dump the bike, it's good enough.

Quick Reply: Fram Oil Filters