General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fork Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
Fork Oil

Hey guys it's my first time changing the fork seal and and dust seal.. I just want to confirm this before i add oil.. I did some searching and found several answers. One say stock oil is Showa SS-55 I think that mean it have the wt on bottle. One told me that in the manual which for the life of me can not find to confirm I must be blind is SS-8 7.5 wt.. Manual say 130mm gap

I'm trying to go with stock oil wt. I'm not heavy the bike dont even know i'm on it. Can you guys help me with this? I need to know the stock WT oil to use and air gap measurement. Only doing one fork so that's why i'm trying to match the stock.

I can not believe they charge 280 for labor to change seal.. I took my fork apart in 30 min. 280 an hour? for one fork..

Thanks
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Superstock

Ok I did confirm couple things.. Now i feel bad about posting this thread.. I finally found it SS-8 is the oil.. 130mm air gap... Still one more question SS-8 is a particular weight right? So if I tell them I need SS-8 then they not going to ask me what weight to I need right?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by doomcookie
Ok I did confirm couple things.. Now i feel bad about posting this thread.. I finally found it SS-8 is the oil.. 130mm air gap... Still one more question SS-8 is a particular weight right? So if I tell them I need SS-8 then they not going to ask me what weight to I need right?
I am pretty sure that Honda SS-8 is actually 10wt, do a Google on it. You would be better off using 7wt. It is ok to change one seal, but you should change the oil in both forks, who knows what is really in there and how old it is. It is a PIA but not all that hard, no special tools needed, use PVC pipe to drive the seal, cut a 1/4" section out of your old seal and use that as a driver on top of the new seal, then hit the old seal with the PVC. A fork oil syringe for oil height makes setting oil height easy. JB
Old 06-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Superstock

Thanks did just google it.. its 10wt. doing one for now cause i want to see how i do then taking them both apart and then i fucked up.. hahhaha painting my fork today and putting it back together..

anyhow i just found a stray cat that followed me around my house.. so i decided to keep it.. our dog approved it hahha.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Yeah - I always do one fork at a time. One more trick, have the seams of the bushings facing the sides as opposed to front or back, they wear and slide better that way (or so I have heard). Good luck.

JB
Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Superstock

I got done with it today.. everything is great.. I fucked up thought I got a friend help and right after we got done measure and extract.. I went ahead and put the washer in and the one metal tube in. It then hit me (something is wrong) I looked at the spring and i was like ****.. So i pour it back out then do the air gap process all over again.. So spring first washer tube washer and spring guard and screw the top back on ( i think i didn't screw it in low enough.. but we'll see easy to take back out and screw down but let see how it work).. So yea everything done tested it and work pretty good.. have not yet ride it no tank right now.