finally posting this....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
finally posting this....

And it wasn't from the new tire! haha.

Well after riding for three years (1 1/2 being on the hawk), I went down. Last saturday had a day of riding with my buddy and his girlfriend, he rides a zx-10r and she rides a 08 250 ninja. Anywho, did about 80 miles, and decided to stop by his mothers house for a family bbq. Had some fun, ate some food, blah blah blah (no alcohol intake). Get the phone call from the gf asking where I am.

Dramatization:

Gf: "Where are you?"
Me: "About 45 miles away from home my love. Did I tell you how beautiful you looked this morning???"
Gf: "What?!?! You better get home. We're having diner with my parents remember???"
Me: "Of coarse I remember, even though I'm pretty confident that you never mentioned it to me. I will be home shortly to fan you with palm leaves and shower you with gifts reguardless."
Gf: "Dusty middle name last name, you leave right now!"
Me: "Nothing would give me greater pleasure."

So I gear up. Helmet, jacket, pants, gloves..... boots? No boots? da na naaaaaaaaaaa. I say my goodbyes and hop on the hawk. My friends mother has a half gravel, half pavement driveway, a rather steep one at that. I made if down the gravel half, and was at the pavement landing by the road. Must have carried a little gravel on the front still, grabbed a little too much front brake and whoop, there goes the front out from under me. I'm only going about 6-7mph so I tried to save her before deciding to bail. I fall to the ground and so does my hawk, I clear the bike.

First things first, pick up the hawk. She's ok, just a slight scratch on the engine cover and that's all. Rip off my jacket (brand new icon, just given to me on my b-day by the gf), and check to make sure it's ok, it was fine. Do a lil self test, fix my right mirror, and then off I go. Well my rlod came on about 10mi later. Decide to stop for fuel cause I knew I'd run out before I got home. Nearing the gas station, I notice my sneaker feels a little tight on my right foot. I arrived at the gas station and went to get off the bike and I could not bear weight on my right foot, odd. Well I hobble and get some gas, remount, and ride the last 30+ miles.

Get home, cut off my shoe.... My foot was the size of a grapefruit and purple, oh great. Go to the walk in later sat night, have 3 broken toes, a sprained foot with a couple other fractures. As ordered kept my foot elevated the rest of the night. Sun morning it was clear what had happened, I actually measured it. I mustn't have cleared the bike totally, because I had a perfect imprint of a bar end on the top of my foot by the toes. Moral of the story. Where FULL gear. You never know when somethings gonna happen.

Sorry it took so long to post. Pics will follow once my comp at home is up and running again. Would have been on all week if it were working while sitting on my *** at home (mandatory one week off work). Good news is I went back to work yesterday, and have riden the bike both days! Thanks to new boots with a "custom" metal shank installed into the sole (don't worry done professionally).

Happy ridin' fellas, it's finally nice!

Last edited by Dusty B; 05-06-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
ouch man at least every things gunna be alright.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Better your foot than your knee..i caught a bar end years ago on top of my left knee. Really hard to walk when you cant bend your leg or put weight on it for 2 weeks due to swelling and inflamed tendons
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
FIRST RIDE EVER NOT JUST ON THE HAWK BUT REALLY EVER PULLED INTO THE GARAGE GRABBED WAY TO MUCH FRONT. AWAY SHE WENT TO THE GROUND. NO DAMAGE MOVING WAY TO SLOW. DARN GARAGE FLOOR IS SLICK
Old 05-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Back Marker

bigpat123
gear is always good

i remember some years ago when i was riding a 85 honda interceptor vf 700. I was riding year round on Long Island. I was going home from work in November. This cage comes out of a elevated parking lot and turns right in front of me. Blowing the stop sign, I switch lanes and then come back to the right lane to make my turn. I caught some lose gravel and sand, the front started to go i tried to correct the back went and then i got bucked somehow. Right foot jammed the road then the tank (crushed the tank, half moon status) then my left foot got caught in the chain and went back and around the rear sprocket. I did a spin in the air because of this then landed on my back and head Split the new shoei rf900 slid about 200 feet the bike went about 300 yards. No road rash had plenty of covering other then ankles and wrists.
thought i jumped right up, adrenaline is some kind of high. but a buddy of mine was in his cage 5 cars back and saw this all. I did get up and brushed myself off, look around found the bike ran over to it and saw the damage. Tank was crushed from my knee and right handle was bent in. nothing more then that. I then (young, dumb and full...) jumped on the bike and road home.
Once home i sat down on my front stoop and preceded to pass out. I was rushed to the ER and they had to cut my brand new timberlands off the right foot. My ankle was the size of two footballs, but no breaks, I just stretched everything to within a cm of snapping. The doc then looked at the bottom of my foot and saw the indentation, barley breaking skin of the sprocket. I was very close to losing the front half of my foot to this. and i had a concusion and was bruised ego.
Suffice to say if i did not get those boots a week earlier i would not have 2 feet to stand on right now. so i am all for the proper gear....

But i was back on that bike a week later, against doc orders. Cant let it intimidate you...... and then within a month i bought my second fav bike 1988 honda huricane- man i loved that bike so much fun. It was the first sport bike i saw as a youth that made me want ot ride forever.........
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Unfortunatly the first day I took my hawk home my back tire slipped from under me and went down. When I got up I find out the road was wet and very slick.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
i have been looking for some good, low-porfile, size 14 boots at a good price?? any sugsestions???
Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pimpsterbim1
i have been looking for some good, low-porfile, size 14 boots at a good price?? any sugsestions???
check out newenough.com