Forum Feedback Post tips, comments, problems, requests pertaining to the Forums.

Posting Pics and using Smilies

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Posting Pics and using Smilies

G'day,

I have stuffed around a bit looking for how to do this stuff, and I can't figure it out. I am wondering whether my logon does not allow me access to things other members speak of. Not sure there.

I have a Photobucket account which I will use to put pics in. How do I then insert those pics into a thread, or onder my login like other members have? Any rules for pic posting, such as size?

And i cannot figure out the smiley situation either. I have the option of adding it to the thread title, for ag a "thumbs up" but I don't know how to put them in the actual threads. Also some members such as Superhawk22 seem to have them saved on their own computer, and add them in when they like. I would like to be able to use them on the Australian forum as well if possible.

Can someone please let me know how to do this stuff, cause I have been on here over a year now, and still have no idea....(insert embarrased smiley here).

Cheers,
Shayne
Old 02-14-2007, 07:47 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Shayne, as a member you have full access like all the rest of us. Inserting pictures is a bit of a process especially because the site limits you to a specific maximum file size. The best way with your photobucket account is to post the URL of the photo that you are referring to and let others view it just like you do from the picture server. To do this open the picture in your browser window. Next click on the "Address" window so the the whole www. address is highlighted. Once it's highlighted hit the "Control" at the lower left of your keyboard and while holding it down hit the c key.

When you're typing along in the posting box on the forum and you get to where you want to insert the picture hold the Control key down and hit the v key. That pastes the address of the picture into the text of your post. There are other ways of doing the same thing but I hope this at least gets you going. Working with pictures takes a little messing around but you'll get it!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Shayne,

If you know how to save (compress) digital pics with photo-editor software, size your pics to 800x600 or less and then save it with a jpeg quality value that gets you below 97kb compressed and then save it on your computer.

Then while replying to or starting a thread in the advanced mode (important), hit "manage attachments". This will bring up a new window to browse and select your picture from your computer. Hit "upload" and you're done.

I'm still trying to figure out the emoticon stuff myself.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You have to be in the advanced editor to add smileys, or if you know the code then you can simply type it into the quick reply editor at the bottom of this page. Click "Go Advanced" to get to the advanced editor.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 PM
MotoGP

you get the same screen if you hit the "Post Reply" button over here
v
v
v
v
v
Old 02-15-2007, 12:12 AM
MotoGP

That's just part of it. Once you type your message or where ever you want a smiley just pick on of the little yellow faces in the box to the right and click on it. It will be inserted exactly where you have your cursor. If you want more choices click more and then go to full screen to see all the choices. If you're typing your message first then adding smileys later, make sure your cursor is in the right place because if it's not you end up with some that looks stupid. Hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
SuperSport

Red face

Right, thanks for the tips on the photos guys. I will check it out, and see what I can do. If it is not raining after work today I am going to take some pics of my bike.

As for the smileys, I am typing this reply in the "Go advanced" box, and I have got nothing except the "Post Icons" down below which add an icon to the actual post, like this little purple guy. The "Additional "Options" box is there so I can do the photos, but where are my smilies? (insert sad smiley here)

What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:21 PM
MotoGP

Shayne, hit the button below the v's - a new box will open that says "Reply to Thread at the top
The next little box below that says Title: which you can fill in if you wish
The next box down say "Message" - this is where you type your message. Do you see these little yellow faces on the right of the message box? That's where all the smilies are. If you hit "more" a new window will open that has even more symbols in it. To insert a smilie just click on the smilie and it will put in the code (not the smilie itself) for the smilie. When you send your message the server will assemble the message and your smilie will appear.
Try it!

[QUOTE=nuhawk;41883]you get the same screen if you hit the "Post Reply" button over here
v
v
v
v
v
Old 02-15-2007, 06:25 PM
MotoGP

Another thing you can do is hit the "preview" button at the bottom to see how your smilies will appear on the page after it's built. That way you can verify your setup before sending it up.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
well this is a good thread after all
Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 AM
SuperSport

Hmmm.... well here I am in the message box, and there are no smilies to the right, and no box that says "more".

Can admin please check my logon to see what the go is?

I will try the photo stuff now.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

Aw ****! I should have thought about this - I bet you have them turned off in your profile!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
MotoGP

I will work up the route for you later today - **** - I'm sorry I should have thought of this sooner! I'm in the middle of my workday but I will be on later.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nuhawk
Aw ****! I should have thought about this - I bet you have them turned off in your profile!
ah ha!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I thought this too, but the only thing I can see in there that is disabled is a "HTML code". I can't change this, or don't know how to. This has got me stuffed. Image to horror, 350 posts and no smilies!!

Any help would be appreciated.

On a happier note, I can now post pics!! Woo Hoo!!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
MotoGP

I see you are getting the pictures up - I will look at them later tonight. I want you to do one more thing about these smilies. When you reply to this message scroll down before sending it and MAKE SURE that the box is NOT checked in Additional Options. The third box down is "Disable smilies in text. Make sure this is NOT checked.

Congrats on posting the pictures. I cannot wait to look at them in greater detail. Two years in the making - damn right I want to see pictures!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 PM
MotoGP

Shayne, I've looked around and decided it's the OZ Firestorm site that has the permissions in the person's profile - to turn on and turn off smilies. On this forum the ONLY place I can find it (on/off switch) is in the advanced options box below the message box. Keep at it - we've almost got you completely up and running. The pictures were beautiful!
Old 02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
SuperSport

Thanks for your help here Nuhawk.

My Additional Options does not contain any reference to smilies, neither does the Go Advanced option. The only place I can see it is at the absolute bottom of the page, on the left hand side it refers to Posting Rules. In there it says "Smilies are On". There is nothing else I can find.

Help please admin!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Shayne, I'm going to log in as you to see what's going on but I'm going to have to change your password. I will email you your new password shortly.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
SuperSport

Shayne, you're good to go now! You had your editor settings on "Basic Editor".

Greg
Old 02-17-2007, 05:39 AM
MotoGP

OK - so we all learned something on this one! Thanks, Greg - I was running out of rabbits!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:23 AM
SuperSport

I went to login, and found my password was no good. ??:

So I checked the posts. Ah, problem found!!!:-D
I have no idea what you have changed, but obviously my editing options are right now. Thanks very much. !

The banana has some significance too, as in Australia, if you are from the state of Queensland, you are often referred to as "banana benders".

Cheers to everyone who offered there help on this one.

Shayne