General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Failed Emissions...... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Failed Emissions...... Help!

alrighty... went down to do my emmisions testing and failed. woo hoo... yes yes, very fun. anyhow i need a pair system from one of you guys, with all the hose's. i know almost everybody and thier mother has removed this from thier bike, so hopefully i won't have too much trouble getting this. you can email me, pm, me, call me, or just respond to this message. either way i need to try and take care of this asap so i can get it registered.
thanking you guys in advance!! 8)

Last edited by inderocker; 02-18-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Squid

Oppenheimer
Re: Failed Emmissions...... Help!

emmission testing, for bikes? Really? What other states are doing this now besides AZ? Not heard of any doing this here in the North East.

Do they stick a sniffer in your pipe like with cars? With cars if you don't pass they put the car on rollers and drive a simulated 'test loop' to see what happens under driving conditions. Can't imagine they do that with bikes.

Tell us more about this, how long have they been doing it, what model years they test, where do they get the spec for what you should be at?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:30 PM
MotoGP

i hear that.. i've seen some cars that burn more oil than gas, and are registered. i'm not sure of how long they have been testing motorcycles... or what the deal is with that... it might be becasue my bike is an out of state salvage... but who knows... either way... i was shocked. my air filter is pretty rough though......
Old 07-11-2005, 05:40 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Wasn't that long ago they got rid of leaded gas in AZ. What '87 or something? 15 years after everyone else?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:44 PM
MotoGP

did a little reasearch... seems that only tucson and phoenix do the testing... lucky me .... kinda wish i still lived in prescott where you could register a wood burning stove. does anybody know of any additives i can add that will help?..... or if i pull the valve cover vent hose's will that help? maybe run a higher octane fuel?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
Wasn't that long ago they got rid of leaded gas in AZ. What '87 or something? 15 years after everyone else?

something like that.. prolly around the same time arizona started observing martin luther king day.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Did they tell you what in the exhaust gas was excessive? Too much unburned fuel maybe? I can't imagine they would shut you down for other types of emissions, since motorcycles are not required to have catalytic converters (yet).

You said the air filter looks bad. This should be your first step in trying to rectify the problem. The previous owner may have messed with the jetting and set everything too rich. You might best be served with a K&N air filter, if richness is the problem. I would also recommend changing the spark plugs and make sure the crankcase has clean oil. If the bike has alot of miles or has sat around alot without being used, then a good carb cleaning may also be necessary. You might also want to lean out the fuel mixture screws 1/2 turn or so (in).
Old 07-11-2005, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Failed Emissions...... Help!

Beerhunter had some good suggestions, try all of those first even bring it to a good tuner. If all else fails the local autoparts shop should have additves for cars but be careful as most of them do lean the vehicle out.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

yeah... i bought some carb cleaner... so i'm gonna go to town one those bad boys today. i also had an extra, even more trashed airfilter that i de-filtered, and only left the metal screen. i prolly put that in. pretty sure it has a jet kit in it..... i'll see if i can drop the needls a notch. i also bought some "RxP Gas Kicker" that was highly recommened by a couple of white trash buddies of mine, who have had emission troubles before...... we'll have to see how that works. thanks for he tips!
Old 07-12-2005, 02:50 PM
MotoGP

still... no dice... passed the hydrocarbon test but not the carbon monoxide. the stanadrd is %5.50 and i got %7.67. not sure if that is really bad or if i just barely missed it. so c'mon now... step forward.. i will pay for for a pair valve with hose's if anyone has one.... thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 04:24 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
You may be able to pass by returning jetting to stock. And you can probably get a PAIR valve from a local bike breaker.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:03 PM
MotoGP

yeah.... i might have to try some of the salvage yards around here to see if i can find one.... as for the jetting.. i'm not too handy with the carbs nor do i have any jets.... i need to take it to the dealer for that i'm sure they will rape on the cost's for that.... but alas... it prolly needs to be done anyhow. i thought for sure i would have a hundred post's trying to get ride of pair valves.... didn't everybody take that off thier bike?
also... does anyone know if it matters what octane you run... i went with 87 but wasn't sure if it made a difference
Old 07-13-2005, 05:54 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

My bet is the bike is running rich to start with and a pair valve won't fix the problem. Can you get your hands on some race gas or 93 octaine in your area, burns cleaner might pas as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:26 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot
... i thought for sure i would have a hundred post's trying to get ride of pair valves.... didn't everybody take that off thier bike?
also... does anyone know if it matters what octane you run... i went with 87 but wasn't sure if it made a difference
I'm sure your experience made everyone think twice about parting with theirs. Use 89 but it probably won't make any difference.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:39 PM
MotoGP

yeah.. i'm sure my experience is making some think twice... although i'm pretty sure motorcycle emissions testing only happens here and in cali. they are getting rid of it here... but not for another year. my bike is running a bit rich on the front cylinder..
Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Squid

davidhartley is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't removed the PAIR stuff from my bike yet.
I'd give it to you for the cost of whatever a mechanic would charge me to properly remove the stuff.
Word on octane is: Honda sells bikes worldwide. Many if not most places do NOT have 91+ octane pump gas. Therefore, quite logically, Honda has designed all but 'racing' bikes to run on low octane.
Logic also dictates that unless high octane is required to prevent 'detonation' aka 'pinging' aka pre-ignition -then lower, rather than higher octane rating will result in cleaner burn:
Thimk ! <g> -octane rating reflects resistance to combustion..
One common s'hawk mod which I intend to do on mine soonly is a 4 degree ignition advance. This would be a good reason (a required situation) to use 91+ octane, as would higher compression pistons. Otherwise, it seems a waste of $ with NO beneifit.
I'd ust get a post office box in the nearest town that doesn't do emissions testing ..
Old 07-14-2005, 09:51 AM
MotoGP

thanks for the reply. i just bought an entire airbox on ebay that has the valve on it still. i think i can rig up some hose's from what was left on the bike. hopefully this will do the trick... if not i think i'm gonna have to take it down to the dealership and get the carbs tuned. thanks for your help guys!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:12 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

Too wierd on the octaine, being from the south all my life i just assumed every state had 89,91, and 93 octaine like we do in the south. Heck some Amoco stations have 94 octaine.

I already have the 4 degree advance, k&N, Jet kit and air/fuel mixture is perfect on the dyno from 2k to red line with 93, which only thing my babt get.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:51 AM
MotoGP

well... i passed emissions. by a long shot. that pair valve does wonders on reducing carbon. i still however need the rear pair valve hose that goes to the valve cover. they sell it at service honda for $20 and think thats a bit ridiculous for a hose, so if anybody has one.... let me know
thanks
daniel