General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

F-ing traffic lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
F-ing traffic lights.

Everyday when I ride home I have to hope for a cager to pull up next to me or behind me at the first left hand turn after I get off of the freeway. If not the stupid ******* traffic light wont turn green..... Its not just that light either, it seems to be EVERY left turn at a light in Vacaville. What do I do? My bike will not set off the sensor and I find myself having to ride some stupid *** round about ways to get home because of the ******* lights ahhhhhhhhh. I tried to route different ways to get home, but all involve at least one red light left turn. ALL of them. Tried flashing my highbeems to try to triger the light but no success. Just super frustrated. Huhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok I feel better.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Treat the light like it's broken and run the light. Look for cops first obviously.

I run left turn lights on almost a daily basis for exactly the reason you describe. I'm not going to make it my problem that the signals aren't set up right.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
+1 run it, just be safe and check for cops. I run the same left turn light everyday. I can't get it to activate, also some people say if you put your kickstand down on the sensor that can work sometimes.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
flashing your lights won't do anything. problem is that at the stop light there are magnetic plates below the surface of the asphalt. The idea is that when you roll on top of them and stop, they detect the ferrous metal on top (i.e. a car) and the light changes. The problem with a lot of motorcycles is that they're made of aluminum which doesn't get detected like steel.

basically, the only way to get around the problem is A. wait til all is clear and no cops are watching, then run it. or B. have a car pull alongside or in back of you (you should be able to see the seem where the plates are). cars have a lot more steel in them, thats the reasoning behind the system. unfortunately they didnt really design stop lights with us 2 wheelers in mind

i guess you could always stuff your pockets with metal...

Last edited by bundleofgrundle; 10-17-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:34 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Not quite filling pockets with loose change... but an interesting mod

Traffic Loop Sensor Activator

http://www.plan-bravo.com/lefty.html
Old 10-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure if a light doesn't trigger in 30 seconds that it's actually legal to run it. When I head home at night there are lots of lights I end up running because I'm coming off a side street. Just wait 30, make sure it's clear, and go for it!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

i think the visual sensors are only used in more urban areas. i live in NH so i don't believe we a single one in the entire state. i've actually never had a problem with not having a light change for me. I would imagine that states that see a huge influx of riders during the summer are a bit more careful to cater to riders.

They told us about how these work when i took my rider course, all the more reason to do something through a private school rather than the DMV. from what i've heard the dmv just tells you're doing something wrong. MSF classes tell you what you're doing wrong, how to correct it, and fill you in on a plethora of environmental situations.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
In CT and RI, it is legal for a motorcycle to run the lights, IF you've waited for what would be 2 normal cycles. I always "wait", not. Check your local laws, they might be similar.

The sensors in the road work on inductance. The Sensor that was mentioned is basically a magnet. If you put a strong enough magnet somewhere near the bottom of your bike, it should set it off.

Or just run it, just be safe about it.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I have two large magnets on the inside of my lower engine cover(small fairing). I used two-sided tape to make sure they stay in place. Plus I touch the kickstand to the loop at the intersection. Don't know which one works better. But in NC you can turn left after two cycles of the light if it doesn't turn green for you.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jonnyd
I'm pretty sure if a light doesn't trigger in 30 seconds that it's actually legal to run it. When I head home at night there are lots of lights I end up running because I'm coming off a side street. Just wait 30, make sure it's clear, and go for it!
That definitely wouldn't be the case, as some intersections in my car take much longer than that to activate normally. I beleive I've read something regarding waiting for the traffic signal to cycle through twice or so before running it, but that can be 5 minutes of waiting on some of the intersections here in SD.

Basically if its an intersection I'm familiar with the timing on, I run it much quicker. On ones I haven't been to before, I let it cycle through once before running it.

I was thinking I'd send a letter to the city traffic dept of the issues, if for nothing else keeping a copy of it may come in handy if I'm busted for running a light, I can show the judge I've been proactive in trying to get the signals adjusted, rather than just being seen as making excuses after the fact.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 10-17-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
The light to turn down my road has never turned for me. Once I got caught cutting through a gas station on that corner to avoid it. I waived to my friend at his restaurant and then headed on down the road. Pulling into the drive I heard sirens. Checked my mirrors and there was a statey.

He gave me a ration of **** of how I avoided the light, almost got hit by a car in doing so and then tried to evade him while in persuit.

First off, I did NOT almost get hit. Think I would have noticed a car almost taking me out. Second, I was over the speed limit, but doing like 50 in a 30 and had no idea he was chasing me.

I explained to him that the light does not change for bikes. He said that's bullshit because he rides a Harley and it changes for him. I came back with it did not change for me and my uncle, who rides a gold wing (not smart to argue with an officer).

He hit me with avoiding a light, failure to obey a signaling officer, traveling unreasonably fast, and failure to signal (as I'm turning into the last diveway on a dead-end street). AND he says that he's being nice for not hitting me with trying to evade an officer!

I spoke with my friend (who's an officer) and he said that his mother (neighbor of mine) was listening to the scanner and heard the whole thing. He was actually telling disbatch that I was going to try to loose him by cutting through the sand bank at the end of the street and hit the trails! C'mon...this guy is nuts! It's not like on Mission Impossible where my Hawk converts into a dual sport with knobby tires.

My friend then tells me that the officer is looking at buying a Harley, but does not currently ride (no ****), hence the light has never changed for him. I told him that it is obvious I was not trying to run because he succeeded in catching me.

My friend that I waived to (at the restaurant) told me that the officer got stuck at the intersection and I was already out of sight when he started after me. No wonder I did not know I was being chased!

At least I got the charge knocked down to failure to signal.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by rbrais
The light to turn down my road has never turned for me. Once I got caught cutting through a gas station on that corner to avoid it. I waived to my friend at his restaurant and then headed on down the road. Pulling into the drive I heard sirens. Checked my mirrors and there was a statey.

He gave me a ration of **** of how I avoided the light, almost got hit by a car in doing so and then tried to evade him while in persuit.

First off, I did NOT almost get hit. Think I would have noticed a car almost taking me out. Second, I was over the speed limit, but doing like 50 in a 30 and had no idea he was chasing me.

I explained to him that the light does not change for bikes. He said that's bullshit because he rides a Harley and it changes for him. I came back with it did not change for me and my uncle, who rides a gold wing (not smart to argue with an officer).

He hit me with avoiding a light, failure to obey a signaling officer, traveling unreasonably fast, and failure to signal (as I'm turning into the last diveway on a dead-end street). AND he says that he's being nice for not hitting me with trying to evade an officer!

I spoke with my friend (who's an officer) and he said that his mother (neighbor of mine) was listening to the scanner and heard the whole thing. He was actually telling disbatch that I was going to try to loose him by cutting through the sand bank at the end of the street and hit the trails! C'mon...this guy is nuts! It's not like on Mission Impossible where my Hawk converts into a dual sport with knobby tires.

My friend then tells me that the officer is looking at buying a Harley, but does not currently ride (no ****), hence the light has never changed for him. I told him that it is obvious I was not trying to run because he succeeded in catching me.

My friend that I waived to (at the restaurant) told me that the officer got stuck at the intersection and I was already out of sight when he started after me. No wonder I did not know I was being chased!

At least I got the charge knocked down to failure to signal.

your profile says you're from CT? well if thats the case i completely believe it. i've driven through there a handful of times and never had trouble but i have a bunch of friends with horror stories about the CT police. apparently it's the state with the strictest traffic enforcement laws in the country. I've seen a few mustang GT's pulling people over. i cant imagine what it must be like on a bike.

kudos to you for fightin' the man
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
funny how pigs end up puking bullshit every time they go to say something huh? its a funny barnyard fact. and its the one thing they can't seem to smell.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I've seen a few items on ebay for about $10 that each that claim to work on 80% of the lights out there. Not sure how big the magnet inside them is?

The Light Knight...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170264413414

Green Light Changer...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=180299053944
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
[quote=bundleofgrundle;185617]problem is that at the stop light there are magnetic plates below the surface of the asphalt. [quote]

Are you sure that it is a large magnetic plate?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about most states but here in MN you can legally go on a red light if it doesn't turn after a reasonable amount of time and if traffic is clear in both directions. I still look carefully for cops however because what is reasonable to me might not be reasonable to him, especially if he's in a bad mood that day.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Go to whatever your best local source, or order online, some neodymium magnets. Mount them low on the bike like the chin fairing. Problem solved.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:01 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
If a light doesn't consistently turn for you, you can write the local municipality and they can adjust the sensitivity. I've never tried it, someone told me that. I'm thinkin' they won't bother. It might be worth a try if you have one close to your house that's a PITA.
This thread has sparked my curiosity. I'm gonna call the 5 0 and ask what the local law is on the subject.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:10 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Magnets may help.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm