General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Overheating in 110 Arizona Traffic, help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:00 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
Overheating in 110 Arizona Traffic, help

Today my poor little chicken was put through some very high heat in stopped traffic in Arizona today..I was travleing about 65 ( the speed limit) and was stopped behind an accidentfor nearly 15 to 20 minutes .. i watched the temp climb. after i crawled off the freeway the temp went nearly to the red... I finally got a break and cruised 45 on a side street..temp went back down to halfway on the gauge. yesterday i did an oil change to a recommended Rotella 15W40...??? My bike has never climbed to a temp like this but today was the hottest weather ive ridden in this summer. 110 and stopped on the freeway.. i almost passed out..I know my yz400F has to be shut down if stopped after running hard..should i expect the same on the 3000 degree tarmac when waiting behind an accident on my hawk, or is my oil the wrong junk and creating too much heat for AZ??

By the way I ve only had my hawk for 3 weeks.. ive ridden it to work about 6 times prior to today....

Last edited by lynchie; 07-30-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
What are you using for coolant? And what ratio? Since we don't have a big issue with freezing here you can run a pretty high ratio of water in your coolant. Did your fan ever kick on? Mine did once and it took getting pretty hot before it did.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I ran a switch from a ground source (pretty much any metal) to the wire on the fan temp switch so I can run it when I want to (like in stop/go situations) or leave it alone to work as normal. The fan control switch on the radiator provides a ground through the rad metal when it reaches the preset temp.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

My fan never came on, not that i could hear.. it came on once before and i have never heard it since..id like to run a manual switch like rick is talking about..

coolant looks to be in good shape but i havent changed it myself yet.. any recommendations..
Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
Discussing coolant on a motorcycle forum is almost as dangerous as discussing oils.

So far I haven't experienced any negative effects from running ~60/40 (Water/Coolant) using Peak antifreeze. *ducking*
Old 07-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
Mine was overheating in stop and go traffic when I bought it. It turns out the fuse was blown. I do not live in that kinda heat, but it has gotten pretty darn hot here in NC. The fan kicks on slightly above the midway point on the guage. It has not given me any trouble since. I hope for your sake it is a similar issue.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

im sure its the heat but im on my way to the garage to check the fuse...it was soooo hot on the freeway. a sea of cars. My car says 113 outside.. the pavement had to be 250 degrees..
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Dances with Guardrails
Squid

icepick is on a distinguished road
I've heard of some folks getting a second OEM fan and installing it on the opposite rad, wiring it to a manual switch. It is amazing that if you only go about 10-15 mph, it will knock the temps right down. The extra fan helps provide the extra airflow to help you through the long idle periods when the temps are up.

I recall one day in El Paso on the '98 Hawk, having to shut it off while waiting at the entrance to the airshow. That was an option that worked for the bike, but it didn't give me any relief. You can't do that if the traffic just creeps every minute or so, like it usually does in construction zones or at accidents.

On track days, I've had good luck with Water Wetter, and I'm told that Engine Ice and other non-antifreeze products are an improvement. Propylene Glycol is said to have greater thermal efficiency than traditional Ethylene Glycol if you must run antifreeze. Even if running antifreeze, you can still add Engine Ice and one of my buddies swears by it. If you haven't changed antifreeze in more than a few years, you're due - especially if you are operating in extreme temps or service.

I was in a 107 degree Las Vegas parking lot (AKA Interstate 15 construction) for about 15-20 minutes last week with the temp gauge going only to the first tick past 12 o'clock. I'm running 50/50 Propylene Glycol and distilled water.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

ok, awsome,i just found a blown fuse!!...what would i do with such bunch of superhawkers and this website .. i would have had no idea where to find the fuse box either. I am currently downloading my user manual i found with the websites help.So that explains why my hawk's fan never switched on...Any pointers on hooking up the manual ground switch? Ground wire to the frame or radiator ,with switch in the middle..??

Last edited by lynchie; 07-30-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

Im going to switch to Engine ice within the next week. thats what i ran in my yz400F..im going to get a fuse right now and hopefully the next time i ride i dont get stuck in 110 degree stop no go traffic..ive seen switches potsed online as links to ebay.. Any fans anyone recommends? The old fan in the back of my HP tower !?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Don't just throw a fuse in and consider it good. Fuses don't typically blow for no reason. Replace the fuse and see if the fan comes on when the engine temp gets up. If it blows again, you've got a problem. If you're downloading the manual it will tell you how to test the fan by grounding the temp sensor wiring. You could have a problem that you need to get fixed.

Last edited by HondaJim; 07-30-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HondaJim
Don't just throw a fuse in and consider it good. Fuses don't typically blow for no reason. Replace the fuse and see if the fan comes on when the engine temp gets up. If it blows again, you've got a problem. If you're downloading the manual it will tell you how to test the fan by grounding the temp sensor. You could have a problem that you need to get fixed.
Good point there! I forgot to mention that I had found my R/R was bad after I had replaced the fuse. It would send surges of power through the system. It took out that fuse and a $22 silverstar headlamp, but thankfully that is it. I replaced it with the R6 model and now its good as gold! On to the CCt's LOL
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
To paraphrase the late, great King of Sarcasm, Sam Kinnison, as he would scream into the microphone about starving people in Africa:

"You live in a freekin' desert!!!!!!!!!! Move to where the food (or in your case; the cool) is!"

Check and see if a small rock or other debris is blocking the fan blades causing the fuse to pop.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
To paraphrase the late, great King of Sarcasm, Sam Kinnison, as he would scream into the microphone about starving people in Africa:

"You live in a freekin' desert!!!!!!!!!! Move to where the food (or in your case; the cool) is!"

Check and see if a small rock or other debris is blocking the fan blades causing the fuse to pop.
you can hear the director....... don't feed 'em yet !

sam, one of the best to come out of the 80's.

do you remember bobcat's routine ? i think they were both on comic relief '85 ?? i lost my job, well i didn't really loose my job... i know were it is, just when i go there this new guys doing it.

later: i lost my girlfrind ..........

tim

continue on with topic
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Superbling has beaten me to it, but check to see something hasn't jammed the fan blade. Happens a fair bit on he VTR. If that is not it, check things over to look for corroded connections etc. Then chuck in a new fuse and see how it goes.

As for high temps in general, the VTR does run hot, and a manual switch on the fan works well. In high temps it will keep it at a good temp, no extra fan required. I ran the earth back to the same point as the factory earth.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
two2cool was good for 10 - 15 degrees as oil additive and coolant additive together; worth it for me...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
As long as the fan is functional, it shouldn't ever overheat. Mine was fine on HOT days last summer.. This summer it's been in the garage a bit more :P
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

i checked over the fan... i could see that something was jammed in the outside edge and caused some scraping a, i can see where it scraped and stopped the blades like a door wedge.. im going to assume thats what may have caused the fuse to pop... i remeber seeing a piece of tire or plastic kick up one day but i didnt think anything of it..
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

well , today i installed my manual fan switch , very easy. ground it, mount it and the fan works like a charm by a switch... i only plan on using in an emergency ( blown fuse) i dont know why it blew in thr first place but i do have my clutch pull saftey wires loose... they came this way.. i need the coupler to hook them up.. i think they may have touched something they shouldnt have near the instrument cluster.. but regardless the fan worked great on its own today via the sensor..
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
If I'm in hot weather and know I will be stopped any longer than about 30 seconds I just shut the bike off. I do it fairly often at stop lights, it's gotten to the point where I do it out of habit, even when it's not hot.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
SuperBike

Just an FYI - if the fuse blows the grounded switch will not run the fan... the fuse must be good for it to work.

Originally Posted by lynchie
well , today i installed my manual fan switch , very easy. ground it, mount it and the fan works like a charm by a switch... i only plan on using in an emergency ( blown fuse) i dont know why it blew in thr first place but i do have my clutch pull saftey wires loose... they came this way.. i need the coupler to hook them up.. i think they may have touched something they shouldnt have near the instrument cluster.. but regardless the fan worked great on its own today via the sensor..
Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
use engine ice for coolant. i doubt you'll have any problems after that.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
If I'm in hot weather and know I will be stopped any longer than about 30 seconds I just shut the bike off. I do it fairly often at stop lights, it's gotten to the point where I do it out of habit, even when it's not hot.
Engine stops and starts are one of the worst things you can do to a motor. You'd be better off to leave it running and let the cooling system do it's job. Not only do you stop flowing coolant when you shut it off, you also have shutdown/startup wear on the bearings.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
on top of what everyone else said,

Run 50 50 of distilled and water wetter, then add a 2nd fan if need be, and possibly a higher pressure rad cap. IIRC I found one at pepboys that was 1.5 psi higher than stock. Silicone hoses would be nice too if you can find them.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:59 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lynchie
im sure its the heat but im on my way to the garage to check the fuse...it was soooo hot on the freeway. a sea of cars. My car says 113 outside.. the pavement had to be 250 degrees..
I'd move to someplace cooler.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Squid

DuCaTi_HuNtEr is on a distinguished road
I'm out here in the valley too. I found that Hondas with side mounted rads always run a little hotter out here than most others. I use engine ice religiously. Flush it before every summer and keep an eye on your resivoir level. The fan switch is a real good idea, just dont forget about it and leave it running when you park. I mash my bike across town and it always teeters towards the red when i'm in stop and go traffic, but keep an eye on it and you'll be fine.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Squid

DuCaTi_HuNtEr is on a distinguished road
All you guys are SCARY SMART.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:17 PM
SuperBike

The switch providing a ground like I have mine wired cannot be left on, it will turn off when the ignition is turned off.

Originally Posted by DuCaTi_HuNtEr
I'm out here in the valley too. I found that Hondas with side mounted rads always run a little hotter out here than most others. I use engine ice religiously. Flush it before every summer and keep an eye on your resivoir level. The fan switch is a real good idea, just dont forget about it and leave it running when you park. I mash my bike across town and it always teeters towards the red when i'm in stop and go traffic, but keep an eye on it and you'll be fine.