General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

exhaust without jetting??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Squid

DBERN
exhaust without jetting??

Have any of you guys put on a newer louder better exhaust on your SH without haveing to jet it out with no issues. I am wondering because I really want the sound but do not want to jet. Sounds like most have to be jetted, if not they give headachs. I chose the honda twin over the Duc cause of how good a honda runs, and to avoid the headachs of the constant tunning required in the Duc. I am trying to stay as stock as possible. What are my options?? If this is a common question Im sorry musta missed it.

D
Old 05-20-2005, 07:27 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Re: exhaust without jetting??

Absolutely. The idea that you must jet is incorrect. Most slip ons don't benefit from any changes. Most full systems get a minor improvement from jetting. Neither a slip on or a full system is even likely to make your bike run dangerously lean.

That said, the bike does seem to benefit from rejetting, regardless of whether its piped.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
faz
Superstock

faz

You are not alone. After dealing with jetting issues a long while back on another bike, I simply hate to have anything done to the bike's jetting nowadays.

I have debaffled the stock exhausts, and it sounds pretty damn good now (actually, a bit on the loud side for my liking), and I have not had any issues with the stock jetting. Most other bikes I have seen have not required jetting from a simple slip on.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Squid

DBERN

Really
It does seem that an awful lot of folks on this page either had to jet or are haveing issues right now because of tunning. I am ignorant to all the ways of tunning a bike so all the needles adjustment or that kind of stuff scares me away. I was even reading a post on here before that someone had spoken with Jardine and they said that they would not need to jet. He bought the pipes, ran good for a year and then wham headachs galore until he jetted.

any examples of pipe that you are running and there is no issues with the stock jet.

D
Old 05-20-2005, 10:31 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I've rejetted, but I'm a former bike mechanic. It's one of the more complicated aspects of bike mechanicals, so I don't really recommend it for the casual wrench. You may have to R&R the carbs four or five times to get it right. And the only way to extract maximum horsepower is with a dyno equipped with an exhaust gas analyzer.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Squid

DBERN

um ya j s that is what I am not looking to do. I do not wish to get in to all that. That is why I ask. I don't really even care about the horsepower change I am haveing fun just how she is.

D
Old 05-20-2005, 11:26 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt

In that case, just get yourself a nice pair of slipons and forget about it. I prefer Carbon Fiber because it never burns your passenger and is cool enough to touch even when running. But style and sound are important (and a personal choice) too.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Squid

DBERN

well if is that easy than I will, I have just heard that it was not. So your saying that I can just get a pair of pipes say Yohsi and no jetting is needed?? if that is the case than hell ya

d
Old 05-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

Since changing your mufflers does (almost) nothing performance-wise except make things loud, the tiny change would not require re-jetting. It would be a good idea to re-sync your carbs though due to the slight change in back-pressure perhaps for optimization.

Why not just get the whole kit and shebang then and enjoy the performance gains with the new headers?