Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Can i run a Yoshi exhaust without a filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Can i run a Yoshi exhaust without a filter?

Can i run a yoshimura exhaust slip ons without a filter? Or do i have to run them with a filter and a jet kit. I am new to the carbeurated world. On my Triumph with a two brothers exhaust i couldn't run it with a filter unless i had a remapp. How does it work with these superhawks???
Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
you dont need a filter

but you definitely need a jet kit
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Huh? With all due respect, I disagree. Have you not read about the woes of persons who've tried to replace the stocker with even a K&N? I can't imagine no filter at all...not to mention all the crap that would get sucked into the engine. By all means, run a filter. Aftermarket such as BMC or K&N will require a bit more tuning.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:42 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I think he meant you don't need an aftermarket filter. I can't imagine he meant you don't need a filter as in none at all
Old 02-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
K&N

Yea that is my bad. I meant with or without a K&N. HeHeHe So basically what you guys are saying is that it will run rough with just the exhaust if i dont have the jet kit in there? The reason why i was asking is because i am going down to daytona to bike week in a couple of weeks and i don't want it to be stock exhaust and all of the hardley riders drown me out. AAARRRGH
Old 02-07-2007, 03:45 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I wouldn't say it will run ROUGH. I would say it' IDEAL to be jetted properly to get the maximum benefit from the exhaust. However at the risk of sounding like an *** I've had a couple superhawks with several different exhaust systems and have never touched the carbs. I currently run a full exhaust and the bike runs PERFECT, and they always have...And it's not like I've never felt bad jetting or seen the huge difference, good and bad, in roll on throttle response simply changing a muffler can make on other bikes. Now I plan on getting the bike dyno tuned once I finish my suspension mods but I don't think your bike is going to run any worse just because you put a pair of slip ons on it.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:55 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
do it right, on the dyno. Jet kits are cheap.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Oh, just remove the stock exhaust. You'll fit in with the HD bike week crowd just fine! :-)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Yeah, unless you are running straight pipes the paint mixers (a.k.a. HD's) will drown you out anyhow.....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:22 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I blew by two of them out on 360 this afternoon with the VFR and it's outrageous D&D hi-mount and I thought the guy in the lead was going for the ditch. I think the packing is about all blown out of that thing because it is almost bare header in volume and sound! They were in the fast lane and I was in the other lane - going faster!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Atta baby Doug! I have a shortened D&D can with no packing in it hanging in my garage that I'm dying to put on something so I can frighten small children with it. That VFR must sound like a stock car!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vtrlvr
Can i run a yoshimura exhaust slip ons without a filter? Or do i have to run them with a filter and a jet kit. I am new to the carbeurated world. On my Triumph with a two brothers exhaust i couldn't run it with a filter unless i had a remapp. How does it work with these superhawks???
If there is one slip-on exhaust for the Superhawk that would not require rejetting, it would be a Yosh with street baffles. Why don't you bolt them on and see how she runs?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Most slipons don't require a rejet. This is true of most bikes.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jschmidt
I'll agree that most bikes don't NEED a rejet if a street baffle slipon is installed. But, most carbureted bikes sold in the US, and the CA models are usually worse, since around 1980 or so could benefit from a rejet when stock. The jetting is set up to pass EPA tests and most bikes will have a lean spot at 55-65 in top gear since this is where they are tested on a rolling dyno by the guvment. The 'Hawk is one of the few bikes with carbs that is universally accepted as being jetted well as it comes stock. It also suffers the least from having slipons installed. Anyone who's ridden a Kawasaki ZX10 or 11 or any model with this basic engine, Councours, Eliminator, etc., from 1986 until the ZX12 can tell you about their lean spot. These were nasty! Surging, bucking and coughing at steady throttle and slowing when the throttle was slowly opened from a cruise. Every bike I've ridden that fits in this group acted this way and most magazine testers agree. Hell, I know someone with a Mazda pickup that has this problem. It was the last year before they went with fuel injection on their trucks.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
just out of curiosity. where does one find a yoshimura "slip on" for the shawk? i just went to the yoshimura website and found no application for our birds. this is what i was looking at.
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/road_spreadsheet.asp
Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jschmidt

That may be true for some exhaust, but the Jardines high mounts sure needed re-jetting.

All most all of the Jap bikes are lean to start with to allow them to pass emmision level. Adding aftermarket slip-ons just makes them even leaner in most cases.