General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Exhaust puffing? pipe work 101

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Exhaust puffing? pipe work 101

hey guys, i have been getting some puffin and popping right at 4k rpm and down while the engine decels on its own.

figured it was jetting, but was just too lazy to look for a leak in pipes. well, there is one. its about 8" down from the end of the rear cylinger header when it goes down and about parallel with the drivechain (hard place to get at) . i did the napkin test and put one by the pipe mergers and when i did it there, the napkin was flappin away.

anyways, i need a good way of sealing it. it seems that one pipe is slipping into another and going somewhere down. i had my lower fairing on so couldnt tell today. anyways, i looked on the net, and theres three ways to handle this
1. rv copper sealant
2. pipe wrap
3. exhaust expander wrench then sealant.

but all the ways stink . theyre only temporary.

do you guys have any other suggestions? tips for me? thanks in advance ide like to wrap it if i could seal it right with no air comin in.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:18 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Exhaust puffing? pipe work 101

I have a similar problem with a set of highmounts that I've been struggling with since october.I asked my local shop for suggestions, and they told me that they all use silicon high temp sealant. you can get it at any hardware store. they said the stuff was great. just take the pipes apart, and slop it onaround the rim of the smaller pipe, and slap it back together. they said they always use it on the dirtbikes they work on. I'm intending on putting it on my bike tomorrow when I take it out of storage. anyway, hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
yeah, i have MIG highmounts, and the leak is in some weird spot. im going to investigate today with nice ohio weather.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:05 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust puffing? pipe work 101

I have used high temp silicone sealant a number of times, and would reccommend it.

In fact my last Staintune pipe I bought states to use it in the fitting instructions.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Squid

petev
Order the gasket from honda. Its a simple operation!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Squid

petev
Sorry,check the gasket out the rear header to pipe.Mine sounded like your description, I tried the gasket and it was the problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
a gasket cannot be used in this area.

this connects into the main pipe body FROM the rear cyinder head. it makes a upside-down J shape . anyways, at the bottom of the 12" coming from the cylinder head, it is flanged and fits INSIDE a larger main pipe.
well, the smaller flanged pipe is WAYYYY too small, in fact, theres a 1/8" gap . the previous user used a high temp cloth to fill it.
i think im gonna rent a "pipe expander" tool from auto zone, then fill with cloth and high temp sealant. theres quite a breeze comin from this baby.